HELP !!! Rattling Lifter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP !!! Rattling Lifter.

Would anyone have an answer to the following problem?
    I have a lifter that is noisey every now and then on my NH 3 ltr. Used the vehicle this morning and all was quiet. About an hour ago ( 1pm ) Took of to run an errand everything okay about 2 klm`s down the road the lifter began to rattle, stopped and checked under bonnet to listen and it was only one lifter making any noise. Turned engine of and had a look around for oil leaks or any other problems, could not see anything. restarted engine and headed for home, travelled about 200 meters and the rattle stopped, got home lifted bonnet and all I could hear was a faint noise on one lifter on the right hand bank.
    Can anybody tell me if its a sticky lifter or something more sinister? ( 172,000k`s and all original )
    Thanks in advance. regards SeaDog.

i had the same problem with my NH which had 169,000 on the clock, what the gregories manual mentions about this noisy lifter is it may need to be cleaned and re bleed which i did plus i was told to change my engine oil to Penzoil 20w 50, i did both of these and the lifter has never been noisy since after another 25,000 k. new lifters are approx $50 each.
    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Hi Dolphin,
      How much work is involved in getting at the lifters to clean and bleed or is it mechanical workshop job? If so what sort of cost?
      Regards SeaDog.

Comment

the lifter i fixed was on the drivers side bank and it was very easy to remove the rocker cover follwed by the rocker / shafts. the cam does not need to be removed which is great. you must have a torque wrench to re set the rocker shaft tensions. also i do advise that you buy a repair manual as this gives all needed info on removal and re fitting including pics. if you want this book you can have it for $20 plus postage of $10 , they sell for $50.
        NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Fairly common thing with mitsubishi in general as the k's begin to get up. What oil are you using atm? It would be worth running a bottle of lifter cleaner through it - but the proper stuff that generally only trade can get, 10 - 15 buks from memory. If it is simply just gummed out, blocked or dirty bleeder valve etc this should fix it, or at least eliminate it.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X