transmission question NJ - auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission question NJ - auto

I have noticed when I start my Paj in the morning I have to drive few kilometers before it will change from third in to forth gear, after that it changes gears without problems, is this normal?
    NW 2013 MY13 GLX-R, auto, OME lift kit, ARB bullbar, electric brake controller, GME UHF, the rest is still work in progress

In a sense yes, transmission needs to warm up before going into fourth. Might even mention it in the handbook.
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Be a bit of a concern howling along in third gear along the highway until the auto warms up.... or in that circumstance does it drop into overdrive regardless ?
      'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

it does not go in to overdrive untill that first gear change from third to forth (anyway, overdirive is only forcing transmission to go from forth to third, to rev up to give you moore power for overtaking), I tought the same as Pickle, probably warm up thing because after 1.5 to 2 km I have no issue
        NW 2013 MY13 GLX-R, auto, OME lift kit, ARB bullbar, electric brake controller, GME UHF, the rest is still work in progress

Comment

...interesting...
          'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

i had this same problem with my NH auto, what the problem was the thermostat was not closed fully allowing cold water to circulate constantly when the engine was cold, meaning the engine took to long to warm up and activate the transmission switches ect. replace the thermostat and all will be fine.
            NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

thank you

Comment

Lazarus my NJ 3 litre does precisely the same thing but only needs about half a kilometre to start changing. When I get back into proper work again I will have the tranny serviced. Lazarus does your tranny make any whining noises as well?

Comment

no noises at all

Comment

Guys,

My NH 3ltre auto does the same thing. I start the engine reverse out of the drive, drive about 1klm to highway and about 2klm down highway at 100kph before the gearbox goes into OD (ambient temp about 20c). More noticeable in winter. Depends on where you live, the higher the ambient temperature the less time it takes to change. Had no probbs with gearbox otherwise, friends that I know have same deal, mechanic friend (ex mitisubishi) says it is normal, drivers handbook even says the this is normal.

Keith.
                    IF I'M NOT HERE, I'M PROBABLY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

1993 NH GLX 3 litre V6, Rear diff lock, Cruise control, Auto, Aluminium bullbar, Std Mags with 265/70/R15 Yokohama Super Diggers.

Comment

a good test for this trani problem is to remove the engine thermostat and firstly have a close look to see if the valve part is slightly open , if it is then its no good. another example of the faulty thermostat is ; does your engine seem to take a while to warm up going by the temp gauge ?
                      NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

no, engine warms up normaly

Comment

as mentioned, i would look at the thermostat firstly as i could be slightly faulty and for the cost of no more than $15 its worth replacing anyway. this was my auto problem.

Comment

DO nothing, there is no problem, your car doesnt overheat, reaches operating temp as you would expect, autos have had this feature since the 80's - all is normal.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X