NL. problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL. problems

Hi I am new to this forum and have just bought a 1999 Nl. It has a problem of missing under load. The spark plugs, filters and oil was changed about 6000 ks ago. I will give it an oil and filter change and try to rectify the miss. I had a look at the haynes workshop manual and it suggests the problem could be spark plug leads or coil. The haynes manual is very lacking on instruction on how to remove plugs and leads. I gather the intake manifold has to be removed,or at least shifted to gain access. I can test the plug leads by using an ohm meter, but not sure how to test coil. The radiator is showing signs of aging and I guess it wont be long before it needs replacement. Does anyone know of a place I can get a radiator without being ripped off.The vehicle is 3.5 petrol with manual trans.
    I have had a quote of $440 is this price about right. seeya Neilo
    NW diesel auto

Originally posted by neilo View Post
    I gather the intake manifold has to be removed,or at least shifted to gain access.
    Indeed it does [at least to gain access to the plugs themselves]. Heres a couple of happy snaps of my plugs being replaced only last week.

As for the rest, sorry unable to help you out there.
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Alex Thanks for the excellent pictures, do I need to replace any manifold gaskets or use any sealants. I will take my camera out and take a few pictures prior to dismantling, you never know, the old grey matter isnt quite as bright as it used to be. thanks again seeya Neilo
      NW diesel auto

Comment

Might be a good idea to have the gaskets handy- if you don't end up using them now then you have sapres for the future just in case!

Taking your own photos will help immensely i imagine come time to put it back together- personally i'm not game on trying to reassemble!

Good luck on finding the solution to your problem; be sure to let us know when you do!
        '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
        Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Are you running Platinum plugs ? I have an NL Exceed which runs platinums with no missing problems. There more expensive but i got 100k out of the last set.

Comment

Originally posted by snarley View Post
            Are you running Platinum plugs ? I have an NL Exceed which runs platinums with no missing problems. There more expensive but i got 100k out of the last set.
            It has platinum plugs fitted but they are not the ones recommended for the model. The recomended ones are Denso PK16PR-P11 the ones fitted are Denso PK16R11. These plugs are for a Torago. Whether this is why it has had the occasional miss under load I am not sure but I dont think it would help things.I will go out and get the right ones. I have tested the resistance on the plug leads and they are fine so I hope the plugs are the offenders. I still have not tested the coils, I have noticed one coil is numbered differently with a white connector, but I think this is because it is mounted opposite to the others. Will battle on seeya Neilo
            NW diesel auto

Comment

missing

Re missing

When does it miss?

If underload check for a cracked distributor cap.

Hill
              200 Series
              AOR Quantum 4

Comment

Well I finished up getting it all back together with new plugs and leads but am waiting on the return of the repaired radiator. Just need to confirm I have connected the spark plug leads to the right coil positions. I photos taken by me not clear enough. starting from centre of motor running from left to right over the three coils. plug leads 3 2 1 4 5 6 . hope someone has this info thanks seeya Neilo
                NW diesel auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X