GQ coils into Gen 2 with pics..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GQ coils into Gen 2 with pics..

So i had to do something about my sagging rear end, the springs bottomed out quite easily and it was driving a bit like a boat. I picked up some heavy duty std. GQ coils for next to nothing to see how it would work.

From left to right, standard OE Paj coils 15mm wire, 2" lifted 4Way coils 18mm wire, heavy duty standard GQ coils 18.5mm wire.

Above is with the lifted Paj coils, 83cm from bottom of rim to bottom edge of the flare.

This is with the GQ coils, 89cm from bottom of the rim to the bottom edge of the flare.

The car now sits a lot higher, ride is much better, i wish i had done this in the first place and not shelled out for the lifted coils.

One small thing to note, the front is wound up to the max to accomodate the big lift in the rear. This is pretty much how it has been since i lifted it, but i've also reindexed the torsion bar 1 or 2 splines to allow for the fact that it has softened a bit too.

All in all, a very cheap and easy mod. New shocks are comming to match the extra lift as well as an extended brake line and diff hoses.

-Steele
    Steele Perkins (#1263)
    NP Pajero with added goodness..

Just take note that your load ratings will be different now, since Pajero had a higher rating than Patrol (even though we know the new springs are thicker and stronger) Legal argument is ignorant of that.

Comment

How much were the springs and how much lift overall do you think?
      Did or will you do a ball joint flip to save your cv's??
      Cheers

Dave
      '96 NJ ̶D̶O̶H̶C̶, 4M40/AUTO conversion, 2" TJM lift, Alloy bar, Dual Batteries,
      Icom UHF, 31" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Cibie Super Oscars, Aldi 9500lb winch.
      Conversion thread:
      http:// https://www2.pajeroclub.com....ad.php?t=50484

Comment

Originally posted by DWC View Post
        Did or will you do a ball joint flip to save your cv's??
        Cheers

Dave
        A ball joint flip will NOT save CVs. It does NOT alter the height difference between wheel hub and diff centre, so it does NOT affect the CV angles.

A ball joint flip DOES allow more droop travel, by lifting the upper wishbone away from the droop stop. And ensuring the upper ball joint is no longer captive in the control arm, allowing a ball joint failure to be massively more catastrophic than otherwise possible.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

The springs have given about 3 inches of lift, no plans for the ball joint flip. Oh and they cost $50 for the set of 4 GQ coils off ZBay, but you'd probably be able to advitise and i'm sure someone would have some laying around. CV's are being saved by having manual hubs and only get used when off road.

Haven't noticed any adverse effects yet, but time will tell..
          Steele Perkins (#1263)

Comment

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
            A ball joint flip will NOT save CVs. It does NOT alter the height difference between wheel hub and diff centre, so it does NOT affect the CV angles.

A ball joint flip DOES allow more droop travel, by lifting the upper wishbone away from the droop stop. And ensuring the upper ball joint is no longer captive in the control arm, allowing a ball joint failure to be massively more catastrophic than otherwise possible.
            Thanks for that NJ, I thought I'd read before that b/j flip was for cv's. Wouldn't be the first I'm wrong
            How likely is a ball joint failure?

Dave

PS : sorry to hijack
            '96 NJ ̶D̶O̶H̶C̶, 4M40/AUTO conversion, 2" TJM lift, Alloy bar, Dual Batteries,
            Icom UHF, 31" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Cibie Super Oscars, Aldi 9500lb winch.
            Conversion thread:
            http:// https://www2.pajeroclub.com....ad.php?t=50484

Comment

Originally posted by DWC View Post
              Thanks for that NJ, I thought I'd read before that b/j flip was for cv's. Wouldn't be the first I'm wrong
              How likely is a ball joint failure?

Dave

PS : sorry to hijack

Oh you'll be sorry I don't know what the failure rate would be, but i don't want it happening to me, let alone when i've got my wife and kids in the car. The ball joint can have spacers put in, which achieves the same as the flip but without such dramas.
              Steele Perkins (#1263)

Comment

GQ coils

Hi there m1s3ry and others.

I have an NJ (1996) ITD and have changed over the standard 15" rims and 235/75R15's for 235/85R16 tyres and interestingly the rear measurement is now 890mm bottom rim to wheel arch - with no change in spring.

I guess that with a change in (wheel and) tyre diameter I have actually achieved greater ground clearance ??.

I still have the std springs but with polyairs fitted help cope with some sag in the back end.

I have thought of fitting higher springs in the rear and further cranking the front torsion bars but honestly I reckon that the Paj is quite high now and could almost look top heavy if I take it much further.

The front bump stops still have a similar clearance top and bottom so i guess that i could crank them a bit more but why?? - Diff, front cross member and other bits underneath seem to be now the limitation (along with the open front diff - note, add lokking diff to Christmas wish list!).

I have read that the Diesel gen 2 Paj's have a small body lift compared to the petrol types - is this true??

Your Paj seems to have heaps of sill ground clearance - I'd be really interested to know what you have managed to achieved regarding the distance from the ground to the bottom of the sill ??

Cheers Lambie
                NJ 1996 ITD GLX (poverty pack) with a couple of extras, ARB bar, dual batteries plus redarc, Glind shower, some roo spotties, running 235 85 R16 AT's for the road and MT's for the tracks, tweeked torsion bars, Free wheeling front hubs, Poly airs and prodegy electric brakes for the camper, GME radio thingy, Long range tank, cargo barrier, have I really spent all this on my bus??

Comment

Allright, my preliminary findings is that the ride is too bouncey. It's like i've installed leaf springs and that's a very bad thing, rides like a Hilux, jiggles your man boobs like nothing else.. Though i does go around corners a lot better..

But, final judgement will have to wait untill after new shocks go in next weekend. Currently 1 shock is dead, the other still works though. So i dare say it will improve the ride a bit, but i'll let you know.
                  Steele Perkins (#1263)

Comment

I have some Paj springs and shocks out of my old NJ if you need some OEM springs. These were taken out at 140k on the NJ. Let me know if you want them.....man boobs
                    Dave
                    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Originally posted by Lambie View Post
                      Hi there m1s3ry and others.

Your Paj seems to have heaps of sill ground clearance - I'd be really interested to know what you have managed to achieved regarding the distance from the ground to the bottom of the sill ??

Cheers Lambie
                      Front of sill is 53cm and at the back is 57cm. These measurements are approximents due to the fact the it's cold and dark outside. And there are wolves after me

Your increase in height is due to you tyre diameter going from 28.9" (15" rim) to 31.7" (16 inch rim) approx. My measurements are with 31x10.5r15 tyres/rims which measures closer to 30" in reality..

Have you checked you speedo against a GPS yet, to see how much it is out by?

Your Diesel does have a small factory bodylift like all of the Gen2.5's (NJ onward) i think around about 1.5 inches, basically the gap between the body and the chassis as seen under the rear wheel arch.
                      Steele Perkins (#1263)

Comment

Tyres

Noticed you have Bridgestone DD (604v) fitted. These are greater OD than the 265/70s. Do you have any probs with tyres running on anything (Guard or suspension)? By how much do they effect the speedo?

Comment

Originally posted by canderson View Post
                          Noticed you have Bridgestone DD (604v) fitted. These are greater OD than the 265/70s. Do you have any probs with tyres running on anything (Guard or suspension)? By how much do they effect the speedo?
                          The 31" DD's are round-a-bout the factory size for my model, NH GLS, so no problem there. And 31x10.5r15 equals more or less the same as 265/70r16 or did you mean ..r15?
                          Steele Perkins (#1263)

Comment

The NJ 2.8TD and the 3.5l petrol had a 20mm body lift over the 3.0l petrol.
                            larger manual gearbox, so need more clearance. Lucky if you can fit much more than a finger in between the top of the gearbox and the body. Quite common to see the body hammered out a little here if the box has been in and out a couple of times by mechanics for an easier job.
                            Look at the chassis to body clearance at the rear wheel arch, the 2.8TD definitely has more room. Look over the top of the tyre.
                            John C AKA oldplodder

1996 LWB - 2.8l turbo diesel

too many extras to list, who cares anyway,
                            when they get a bit older just grateful it still goes OK.

Comment

i thought only my Hilux gave you that feeling Steele, im now rather dissapointed that you can get your man boobs jiggling elsewhere
                              -----------
                              Russell
                              Toyota Hilux 89, 2 inch lift, bullbar, heavy right foot

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X