Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centre Diff Lock Switch on Transfer Case

Hi All,

Have had a NL GLX for about a month now and I have the centre diff lock light flashing when in 4HLc and 4Low. I have looked at the following thread
    http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=6694

and hopped under the car and found the 5 switches on the transfer case and I have a few questions before I try and disconnect the wires to the switches.

The switch looks like a nut with a plastic top where the wires go in.

1: To disconnect the switch do I just pry the plastic section off or do I have to use a spanner on the nut? If someone can explain how to remove the switch/wire that would be great.

2: Will my centre diff lock be locked even though the light is flashing? Someone mentioned in the linked thread that the locked position of the diff is a mechanical linkage (that moving the gear lever to 4HLc or 4Low will lock the centre of the diff)? Can a mechanically minded person confirm this? I don't have the details in the service manual.

3: Does anyone have the full service manual? I have had a look here: http://www.mitsubishilinks.com/ but it doesn't have the section with the manual transmission / transfer case.

Finally, here is a photo of the paj (attached)at a beach north of Woodgate QLD where I first took it offroad. It's pretty stock apart from the bullbar, lights and a cd player.
    Attached Files
    2012 NW with some fruit

This is what they look like from the top, you need to un-plug the wire then undo the nut
    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
    New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

It's one of the back ones. Follow the harness down to the plugs and you want the blue/white wired one(fyi the wires are the same after the plug, you need to find the blue/white wire before it goes to the plug).
      97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
      97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

Thanks for the photo.

So does the wire just unplug (pull out) from the nut?

Also on my transfer case the switches are on the other side of the transfer case (where the bolts are). Would this matter?

Will my centre diff lock still engage mechanically when I put the paj into 4HiLc or 4Lo (even if the switch doesn't light up)?
        2012 NW with some fruit

Comment

Think they are the same switches in the photos I put in my post here ...

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=25087

They screw out by the look of it - mine is an NP but the switches look the same as yours.

Geoff
          03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

Autos have the switches on drivers side(as per the pic) if you have manual then they are on the other side(passenger side).

The wire does not pull out of the switch itself, the wire is physically connected inside the switch and the wire and switch is one piece. Need to unplug the wire first or you'll twist the wire off when you undo the switch.
            97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel

Comment

Thanks, so The best thing is to disconnect the wire at the connector then unscrew the switch, clean contacts and the wire connector and replace?

Will my centre diff still be locked even with the light flashing? Given it's a lever operation (mechanical), is the switch just to confirm the lever is in the correct position by illuminating the bulb on the instrument cluster? I know the wiring from the C/D switches goes to the ECU but does it just illuminate a bulb or does it effect the car some other way as well?

Cheers.
              2012 NW with some fruit

Comment

Spot on the money there Damo, just for the idiot lights.

Only switch that has an adverse affect is the 2wd/4wd switch as that earths out the solenoids in 2wd and disengages the front diff.

Comment

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
                  Think they are the same switches in the photos I put in my post here ...

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=25087

They screw out by the look of it - mine is an NP but the switches look the same as yours.

Geoff
                  Thanks for the link mate. That's a great help. Now to try not to break any wires.
                  2012 NW with some fruit

Comment

Ok,

So I had go disconnecting the switches under the paj this arvo. the connector comes free easily enough. The problem is that the switch end of the connector is on a piece of sheet steel to keep the cables close to the transfer case. To remove the switch first requires the connector to be freed from the sheet steel. This seems to be a real prick as It's really hard to get screwdrivers or small needle nose pliers under the sheet steel to free up the connector

Has anyone performed this with the transfer case still under the car? It seems like too much hard work just to get a light to stop flashing. If it doesn't affect the 4x4 operation I don't think I can be bothered fixing it, unless I have to remove the transfer case or do a clutch.

See attached photo which is pretty crap, but it does show three connectors that are held onto the transfer case by the sheet steel. Disconnecting them only frees up the harness end of the cabling.
                    Attached Files
                    2012 NW with some fruit

Comment

When I did my , I removed the console and under it is a access panel which makes it a bit easier to get to the plugs and switches.Might be an idea to cut a spanner down as there not much room to unbolt the switch and be real careful with the wire as it doesn't take much to break them.

Comment

Righto. Will take a look sometime...if I can be bothered. If the 4x4 operates fine without needing the centre diff lock light to be working then that doesn't worry me.

On a slightly different note, what does the "High Range / Low Range detection switch" on the transfer case do? I cannot think of any reason the vehicle would need that switch?
                        2012 NW with some fruit

Comment

So after mucking around under the car trying to remove the switches on the transfer case, I notice that the centre diff lock light does not come on the dash at all now.

The bulb is not broken as I have swapped it with a working one and tested it with a multimeter.

I haven't had time to do more than about 100m off the tarmac with the c/d locked, but can someone tell me what this would signify? Perhaps it will come on (and start flashing after a few hundred metres)?
                          2012 NW with some fruit

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X