Picked myself up a bargain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked myself up a bargain

Hi guys, thought i'd share my new paj I picked up yesterday for $800.

It's a 98' NL GLS 3.5ltr auto.

Electric drivers seat, wood style dash, rear air con, srs airbags, leather seats and ABS brakes, near new tyres and 6mths rego

Issues:
    - when I inspected it I new it had timing belt issue as he had the timing belt replaced 3mths ago and then a few weeks ago he stopped the car to go fishing and then when he returned to go home it wouldn't start and there was a light slapping noise. My first thought was the hyd tensioner wasn't replaced and failed or, just wasn't installed properly to begin with and at worst had a bent valve or two. Checked the belt by removing the top cover slightly and sure enough it had plenty of slack and timing was off a few teeth. Got it home(took those two pics straight away) and pulled the front apart only to find the 60mm long M10 bolt that the tensioner pulley bracket swings off had actually snapped and somehow the bracket just sat in situ. Put a new 65mm long one in(start of thread on block was poor) and she fired up first go without a problem and the paj runs like a dream

-SRS light won't go off. Thinking the clock spring in the steering wheel but not really to sure as I don't really know much about the SRS system in these. So I'll start there and work my way to all the connectors and hopefully find the issue. Battery will be disconnected when I try and fault find the srs components

-Rear air con does not work, the light does not come on at all on the cpanel behind console but the front AC works like a charm. AC condenser fan does not come on but i'll track this down tomorrow when I get a few minutes spare.
    -Valve covers are leaking and look like they have been for a while, gonna grab a new timing belt kit, water pump kit, plugs, leads, valve covers etc and give it a good full service to get me started.

-Passenger side parker light looks misty inside and isn't sitting in properly. Gonna pull it out, clean it up and refit it as the clips still look promising.

Other then that it's a fairly straight unit that the family is happy with. Bit more cosy then my NK that's mainly built up for offroad. This one will be staying as a family car solely and any mods will be done for on road comfort and safety

97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
    97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Welcome to the world of NL it looks good and how lucky with the motor.
    Rick
    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
    New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

Congrats Pauly, Looks just like mine. A Good bargain, esp as its blue [like mine]. Many happy memories for the family in the new ride. Bob
      98 NL GLS 3500. Now with a Bocar bullbar and 265/75/16 tyres. Waiting for a snorkel and UHF.
      Now with 7" HID

Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get. Alcohol is a preservative isnt it?

Comment

good on ya Pauly, there great, still miss mine
        Regards Peter
        used to be nl 1999 auto,3.5lt petrol.
        now 1994 80 series cruiser diesel wagon
        bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
        SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

Nice pickup. Just like mine except it is petrol.
          "Lighting a candle instead of cursing the darkness."

Comment

Wow what a bargain. Looks very nice. well done!

Comment

I'm sure you'll get it all sorted Pauly.

my money would be on the clock spring for the srs light.

nice buy for 800!
              '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
              Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Cheers fellas.
                Lucky is an understatement I reckon, cams were out quite a few teeth and I was sure to find a little internal damage

Will get there slowly but surely re- the minor issues with it.

Am I correct in assuming that it is an GLS Exceed?
                97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
                97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly Faulkner View Post
                  Cheers fellas.

Am I correct in assuming that it is an GLS Exceed?
                  Hi Pauly
                  No yours is like mine, a GLS with "Safety Pack" (srs,abs) and "Luxury pack" (wood grain, leather and rear air etc)
                  The exceed was only from 1999 and had wood knobs on shifter and transfer lever and chrome taillight surrounds.
                  A great find!!
                  One of the best vehicles I have ever owned.

Tom
                  1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
                  1953 Morris Minor ute
                  1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
                  2008 Mercedes W211 e280 CDI sport
                  2003 Ford Transit

Comment

Congrats, that is a great find! You deserve good karma considering all the help you give others on the forum.
                    NJ Exceed, Alloy bullbar, factory locker,ORU 9000lb winch, eBay snorkle,31" AT's
                    NL GLS 2.8, PC Challenger auto for the wife.

Comment

Pauly good pick up indeed .................... re rear air con unit if you check out fault I have the same car here with complete rear air unit intact so if you need any bits to fix give us a yell ...................... I'll donate them to your bargain. We'll call it payment for services rendered to members
                      ps Actually give us a buz ?

Comment

Great find mate,

I had one that was the same only it was green and a manual - a GLS with the safety pack as mentioned above - and, it cost considerably more thena $800 !! Only reason I sold it was it was pretty heavy on juice - but you've got plenty of money left over for fuel after the initial cost.

Cheers

Geoff
                        03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogger View Post
                          Pauly good pick up indeed .................... re rear air con unit if you check out fault I have the same car here with complete rear air unit intact so if you need any bits to fix give us a yell ...................... I'll donate them to your bargain. We'll call it payment for services rendered to members
                          ps Actually give us a buz ?
                          feeling generous mate hahaha
                          94 NJ 3L Auto Stocker

Comment

Shit yeah I must be sick ......................... must have caught me at a weak moment
                            Talking of weak .................... how's the POO trol going ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bogger View Post
                              Shit yeah I must be sick ......................... must have caught me at a weak moment
                              Talking of weak .................... how's the POO trol going ?
                              hahaha going strong!
                              94 NJ 3L Auto Stocker

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X