Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super select (front wheel) lights flashed and fixed (atleast for now)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super select (front wheel) lights flashed and fixed (atleast for now)

With the help of this thread and http://4wd.blogeasy.com/ I was able to diagnose the 4wd (front wheel) lights flashing and fix it (at least for now). Started flashing yesterday as I was pulling into the driveway. Thought it will go off on its own as it has a few times before but it kept flashing the whole day and was annoying as ever knowing there was something wrong. Tried shifting through 4wd without any luck. When it was on 4wd all lights kept on as it should. Even the CD light behaved as it should. Only when you go back to 2wd the 2 front wheel lights kept flashing.

First thing I checked was the yellow/blue solenoids. Checked suction on the hoses coming from the car and it had pretty good suction.
    But, I had no suction on the yellow dot solenoid in 2WD. The blue one has suction. So swapped the hoses and the light stopped blinking. However the solenoid was clicking which meant the electrical contacts were fine. So took out the bracket holding the solenoid and took the whole thing out. Didnt need to remove the air box but was a bit tricky.
    Anyway blew into the solenoids quiet hard a few times while I had the ignition ON with the wire just touching the contacts on the solenoids and then pulling out, then touching it again. This seem to make it work again. When the hoses were plugged in the lights stopped flashing in 2wd. Went for a short drive shifting through all 4wd positions and eveything seems back to normal.

Could someone please let me know if there is a better way of cleaning out the solenoids? Or should I be replacing them ? Any advise is welcome.

Thanks a lot again for such a great, helpful community.

A quick squirt of wd40 and shoot it through with an air compressor (not full blast, just gently). Or spray it through with contact cleaner. Do it when off and also when on so both outlet ports are cleared.
    97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
    97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly Faulkner View Post
      A quick squirt of wd40 and shoot it through with an air compressor (not full blast, just gently). Or spray it through with contact cleaner. Do it when off and also when on so both outlet ports are cleared.

Great will do that, I have one of those mini compressors which should be gentle on it.

Thanks

Comment

Hi fgin, get ready to buy a new one from Ashdown Ingram. Part nu SWX029 Universal solenoid for all of $36 up here. The fix, if it works can only be temporary. New one lasts for years. Fortunately this issue won't impede ones progress. Sometimes you just get the flashing lites but another time you may get the horrible grinding sound of the floater axle moving in and out. Either way go strait into 4WDH (non CD obviously) until you can get around to changing out the yellow dot solenoid. Cheers
        99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly Faulkner View Post
          Ok did this in the morning. All looking good as new. Lets hope it stays that way

Originally posted by MTN-KAT View Post
          Hi fgin, get ready to buy a new one from Ashdown Ingram. Part nu SWX029 Universal solenoid for all of $36 up here. The fix, if it works can only be temporary. New one lasts for years. Fortunately this issue won't impede ones progress. Sometimes you just get the flashing lites but another time you may get the horrible grinding sound of the floater axle moving in and out. Either way go strait into 4WDH (non CD obviously) until you can get around to changing out the yellow dot solenoid. Cheers

Thanks for the part number and heads up mate. I will see if the fix mentioned above works. if it crop back up again then there is no option but replace the solenoid with one from Ashdown Ingram.

Out of interest, what is the extra hose with a cap on it attached to a bracket that sits near the solenoids ? Can take a picture if needed.

Comment

I'm not sure what it's for maybe a breather of some sort but I know if its not on properly you get the flashing light symptoms

Comment

"Out of interest, what is the extra hose with a cap on it attached to a bracket that sits near the solenoids ?"
              Its a breather but I have not tracked it down just yet.
              Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
              New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

I still need to check and fix my system if I ever get to it, if there is an interest in pics let me know what areas to cover and will try not to forget taking them.
                '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
                Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

Originally posted by Downunder35m View Post
                  I still need to check and fix my system if I ever get to it, if there is an interest in pics let me know what areas to cover and will try not to forget taking them.
                  What's wrong with yours?

Update:
                  Went out for a longer drive yesterday and had no issues what so ever. Shifted to 4wd and back a few times to test and all worked perfectly. My guess is that the solenoids were a bit dry and sticky. With the WD40 treatment its now back to working as they should.

Comment

Originally posted by fgin View Post
                    Out of interest, what is the extra hose with a cap on it attached to a bracket that sits near the solenoids ? Can take a picture if needed.
                    That's the front diff breather.

Comment

I concur, front diff breather. The cap is a venting cap.

Should be four hardlines bolted to the side gaurd:
                      - front diff breather
                      - hose to vacuum volume expansion canister on xmember (one line that goes from canister to the solenoid vac line from brake booster vac pipe).
                      - yellow solenoid line
                      - blue solenoid line

The caps on the secondary port on the solenoids are vent caps, these ports that they are on cannot be blocked off, they are to vent that line to relieve the vacuum when not in use.
                      97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
                      97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

Sorry for the delay!
                        Mine started to flash when shifting into 4WD.
                        I know the system is engaged and works as otherwise I would have been stuck a few times.
                        Usually driving a bit in 4LLC get's everything moving so to say and after that the system only flashes a few times than goes steady.
                        But the flashing is for all modes incl. the center diff lock, once it stopped in one mode it works fine.
                        I assume dirt has collected and maybe that there are vacuum lines that need attention.
                        Had the first flashes right after the shop fixed the front end, so maybe I'm lucky a vac line is just crumbled or some switches full of rubbish.
                        Can't assume any damage as the system works fine hardware wise.
                        However on the freeway in 4LLC the drivetrain makes weird noises around the 150km/h mark, but only in 4LLC.
                        Ok the last sentence was only a joke
                        '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
                        Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

Thought I will update. All works great since the WD40 treatment. Totally recommend trying this fix before pulling out and replacing the vacuum solenoids.

Comment

I've found after driving a few hundred kms on pretty badly corrugated roads that my system now engages and disengages almost instantaneously. It was working before the corrugations but sometimes would flash for a little bit
                            NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                            X