Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd opinion?

Hi

I've been having a strange vibration through the car at approx 80 - 100km/h for a fair while now (it's not steering related)
    I've been to a few mechanics to try and fault the problem but they all say different things.
    one has said U-joints (just replaced, didn't fix)
    another has said transmission or engine mounts (engine mounts were done 10,000km's ago)
    another said tailshaft or drive shaft unbalanced and even said it could be the torque converter in the transmission on it's last legs........ ?

A few things I know is it's not consistent with load, I could have the car in neutral @ 80km/h and it will still vibrate and with WOT still same vibrations (guessing not torque converter, possibly mounts?)

long story short, please help me! anyone with some advice would be most welcomed. I need my car back, for some strange reason the missus likes driving it now????

Regards
    UPGRADING FROM THE NH TO AN NP EXCEED

anyone want an NH? - 2" suspension lift, King springs, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, 27.5mm Rockcrawler Torsion Bars, 265/70 R 16" BF Goodridge All-Terrains, CIBIE Super Oscar 100 watt, UNIDEN UHF / scanner, Dual Battery, 140L Longrange fuel tank
    $6500

I take it you have had the tyres balanced and checked for "bubbles" in the tread etc

Ray

Comment

How much lift do you have?
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Hi.
        I have the same problem except mine kicks in at after 100km.
        I know its not related to steering, wheel balancing, tail shaft, engine speed, engine load. I think it may have something to do with suspension components, Reason i think that is because im driving on one section of freeway at just over 100km and i feel the vibration kicking in, where i drive the same on another section of freeway and its fine. The only difference is road surface smoothness...

What comes to my mind is worn shockers, ball joints, bushes, engine and transmission mounts.

The front of my Pajero was sagging a little so i desided to reindex and wind up the torsion bars, Then i did notice some difference, the vibration was still there but was not as bad, it was kind of more solid...

Hope this helps, looking forward to hear from others with same problem...

Regards
        Jim
        2013 MY13 VRX

Comment

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
          How much lift do you have?
          2inch suspension and 2 inch body, 16" wheel, tryes 32"
          UPGRADING FROM THE NH TO AN NP EXCEED

anyone want an NH? - 2" suspension lift, King springs, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, 27.5mm Rockcrawler Torsion Bars, 265/70 R 16" BF Goodridge All-Terrains, CIBIE Super Oscar 100 watt, UNIDEN UHF / scanner, Dual Battery, 140L Longrange fuel tank
          $6500

Comment

check the drive shafts your self have a look for a small clean patch where the balance wieghts should be.check both front and rear.
            Nm exceed twin tanks,genie extractors,sports exhaust,
            Ko2 all terrain, uhf radio, twin battery,arb bullbar,light bar.

More to come soon

Comment

Originally posted by bounceferret View Post
              2inch suspension and 2 inch body, 16" wheel, tryes 32"
              OK - shouldn't be driveshaft angles.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

I have this same problem. Mine is a manual.

I had the tailshaft balanced as the weld that attached the rear uni was out of phase. This didn't fix the problem. It now looks like the vibration in the shaft flogged out the output shaft bush in the rear of the transfer case. Mitsi will sell the rear extension with bush for about $250 +GST but there are none in the country. Alternatively, you can have the bush pressed out and one made. The advantage to this is that if it isn't the problem, it hasn't cost heaps to try.

I will post the result when I get something done.

Col.
                98 NL LWB with plenty on the wish list

Comment

2nd opinion

Just a thought which may or may not work but have you checked the torque stay mount on the transfer case? i have replaced mine 2 times in 2 years because of a vibration. Stuart.

Comment

Sorry NH3000, but what is that? where is it? and how can I tell if it needs to be replaced?

Cheers
                    98 NL LWB with plenty on the wish list

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X