gearbox clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearbox clutch

Hi I have a nj 3.5 liter manual and I can start the car let it idle and select all gears with no clutch just wonded if it's blown clutch or something else

Gday mate,

I take it the car is not moving under its own power at all?
    I guess check the obvious - 4wd transfer not in neutral? Still got a tailshaft hooked up?

Do you get any feedback changing gears (noise etc) or is it the same as selecting gears with the car switched off?

I am sure others can add here.

Cheers.
    2013 NW GLXR (MY14) Auto

Comment

Yeah there is no movment in any gears and same as going through 4x4 still nothing everything is there no noise just engine running

Comment

Lots of possible soueces, like a broken clutch fork, broken shafts or a missing gearbox/tranny - did you check under the car for the big massive thing connecting the driveshafts?
        '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
        Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

Haha yea it's still there would a new clutch fix it it smelt clutchy when I got out and it was on it's way out

Comment

It does sound like a catastrophic clutch failure. The 'smell' you describe is a good sign that it will only be the clutch.
            It could be a busted input shaft on the gearbox (slim chance of this though).
            Either way, the gearbox has to come out, so best you get to work
            Cheers, Dan.
            2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

As Dan says, time to take out the gearbox and find the problem! I have had a 'catastrophic clutch failure' before but it was in a Defender (of course) and it was quite noisy when the 4by was running but not moving - is there no noise from yours?

In order to be able to select the gears the engine has to be disconnected from the gearbox - the usual way is to depress the clutch, but clearly in the case of yours it has found another way to do this. I would suggest that it is either a clutch failure, flywheel let go, or broken input shaft on the gearbox. Your indication that it smelt 'clutchy' would add weight to the clutch being the problem.

Keep us posted.
              98 NL GLS - ARB compressor, LED conversion on all interior lights, GME UHF, Pioneer SD Stereo, Alloy bull bar, 13,500lb winch, Dual Batt, switch and outlet panel in place of useless centre pod, rear drawers

Under construction - GQ coils

Comment

These big 3.5s seem to be a bit harsh on clutch,s. Any reason for this? My old NL,s clutch started slipping at about 150,xxxks.(ps, the pressure plate is locked to the thrust bearing, need to be disengaged before gearbox will separate from engine.) Darryl

Comment

Make sure slave is not jammed out holding clutch on all the time

Comment

Hi Darryl ,Quick question for you mate ,Can you tell me a little more about the two rings that are on the pressure plate of the 3.5s and how to put them back on as mine came off on motor removal and what happens with the thrust bearing does it go on first as normal or does it go in already attatched to the pressure plate .a small pick or two would be great to if you can thanks .Trev .

Comment

Can any one else help whith the above question ,Thanks Trev .

Comment

Originally posted by pajero 96 View Post
                        Hi Darryl ,Quick question for you mate ,Can you tell me a little more about the two rings that are on the pressure plate of the 3.5s and how to put them back on as mine came off on motor removal and what happens with the thrust bearing does it go on first as normal or does it go in already attatched to the pressure plate .a small pick or two would be great to if you can thanks .Trev .
                        Sorry mate, been a long time since that 3.5 NL so my memory of the clutch replacement has faded, didn't take pics either.

Comment

Did clips come of as in ripped out or did you "unclip" them and release thrust before removing box ? If you didn't unclip them then chances are they are damaged but if your fitting a new clutch then they should be on the new pressure plate in any case?
                          Clips go to pressure plate before install and thrust is mounted to clutch fork then snapped into place once box is installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogger View Post
                            Did clips come of as in ripped out or did you "unclip" them and release thrust before removing box ? If you didn't unclip them then chances are they are damaged but if your fitting a new clutch then they should be on the new pressure plate in any case?
                            Clips go to pressure plate before install and thrust is mounted to clutch fork then snapped into place once box is installed.
                            Thanks for your replies guys .Now does the LITTLE RING fit on the thrust bearing side of pressure plate or on the flywheel side .Thanks Trev .
                            Last edited by pajero 96; 28-11-13, 08:16 PM. Reason: made a printing error

Comment

Mate it goes on the flywheel side.
                              If you get stuck mine is out of the car atm and I can do a few pics for you if required

Paul

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X