Wont start....again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wont start....again!

I went to start the paj this morning and what i got was a lot of dash lights but the engine is just not cranking over.

My first reaction was that it must be the battery. It seems that there is power (all lights, windows dash lights etc are working). I havent had time to test the battery yet as i had to get to work but this will be first on the list.

The interesting thing is that when I turn the key to the start position as well as all the normal dash liits firing up the top two FWD lights are flashing as well as the bottom two 2wd lights being on as per normal.

I rang my mechanic friend who suggested that it could also be the starter motor overloading and not cranking.

This exact same thing happened about 5 months ago after i had tried to start the engine immediately after switching off (i.e. not waiting at least 20 seconds) and the car seemed to go into a shut down mode. Two weeks later and a charged battery it just decided to start and has been running perfectly ever since - until today. I did not try to start twice on this occasion so am confused if there is any correlation between the two events.

I also took out the starter motor last time and had an auto elec check it. Apart from the normal wear and tear that you would it expect it actually worked on the bench - so i put it back in. As stated - it has been working OK since it decided to fire up.

Have checked the fusible link near the battery (seems OK).

Car went for a 300k+ run last weekend (ran beautifully) and has been in the garage all week until my attempt to start this morning.

This will no doubt be a process of elimination but any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

John
    1995 NJ 3.5 DOHC GLX LWB|Uniden UHF|Bull Bar||Maxxis A/T 771/roof rack/awning

Flashing front light sounds like the front diff vac lines aren't 100% air tight or the one way check valve is buggered, either way it's not related to your starting issue and nothing to worry about.

When you go to start do you get any click sound or is it just nothing at all? Is it auto or manual?
    97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
    97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

Thanks pauly. Yes there is a clicking sound when i try to start.

Comment

Sorry. It is an Auto

Comment

could be the switch on the auto to detect the gear lever position??
          '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
          Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by Kpaj View Post
            I also took out the starter motor last time and had an auto elec check it. Apart from the normal wear and tear that you would it expect it actually worked on the bench - so i put it back in. As stated - it has been working OK since it decided to fire up.
            sounds like a poor connection inside the starter, once you eliminate the battery, why dont you physically apply power to the startermotor, apply power to the little single wire tab and if it doesnt crank over its the starter

Comment

A clicking at the starter motor means the starter solenoid is recieving 12v remote signal to start cranking so the inhibitor switch sounds like it's working fine.
              Agree with shifty in that you may have a poor/dirty connection. Try cleaning the battery terminals and all connections on starter then check voltage drop at battery when trying to start.

Possible issues could be dirty starter brushes/solenoid contacts, poor battery connection, half dead battery etc
              97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel

Comment

sound a lot like a dead battery to me.

Comment

Thanks all. Will start with the battery and starter motor and go from there.

I also thought (as suggested) that it might be the gear selector neutral switch. Is this something that I could check and change?

Comment

Originally posted by Kpaj View Post
                    Thanks all. Will start with the battery and starter motor and go from there.

I also thought (as suggested) that it might be the gear selector neutral switch. Is this something that I could check and change?

If youre around SE melbourne I have a spare battery to test

Comment

Thanks fgin - I am in east doncaster - if anywhere near you please pm. If not I will get the battery tested at battery world wantirna - no probs

John

Comment

The inhibitor switch on the gear selector completely inhibits the starter motor. If it was faulty you wouldn't even get a click.

Comment

Thanks again pauly - that eliminates another candidate.

Comment

get the battery load tested I would bet on it being faulty or you have a poor connection somewhere, possibly the main lead on the starter as it is normally never checked.
                            Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
                            Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

Thanks - will have the battery checked tomorrow and i will crawl under the paj and check the connections to the starter motor.

"Flashing front light sounds like the front diff vac lines aren't 100% air tight or the one way check valve is buggered, either way it's not related to your starting issue and nothing to worry about"

Pauly - I did not miss this comment and will chase this down after I get the engine running.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X