Fitting GQ springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting GQ springs

I am just about to try the GQ conversion, as I have the springs and the LN130 shocks are on their way courtesy of eBay.

I have read all the comments on the forum that I can find but am left with one question, do I need to use spring compressors or will the springs go in when I lift the chassis and disconnect the sway bar?

98 NL GLS - ARB compressor, LED conversion on all interior lights, GME UHF, Pioneer SD Stereo, Alloy bull bar, 13,500lb winch, Dual Batt, switch and outlet panel in place of useless centre pod, rear drawers

Under construction - GQ coils

Originally posted by Hamish3300 View Post
    I am just about to try the GQ conversion, as I have the springs and the LN130 shocks are on their way courtesy of eBay.

I have read all the comments on the forum that I can find but am left with one question, do I need to use spring compressors or will the springs go in when I lift the chassis and disconnect the sway bar?

They won't fit without some assistance. I didn't have spring compressors so I used some strong webbing. I had the wheels off, old springs out and it was clear there was no way to get the GQ's in without compressing them. So I put them under the axle, lowered the jack down which compressed them enough and tied them up with webbing (strong rope will also work). Make sure you only tie inside the top and bottom coils otherwise the webbing/rope will be jammed in when you fit them. Once compressed they went in easy as. I took up the tension with the jack and removed the webbing - presto - sorted.

Whole job for both sides took me about 2 hours. Looks great now.
    Attached Files
    2011 NT 3.2, ARB bar, UHF, roof bars, dual battery, Lovells / Bilstein 2" lift, 12000lb winch

Comment

take off sway bar and take out one end of the pan hard bar. then if you want to do it without spring compressors (sometimes this is enough) you undo the brake line from the chassis and you can drop it even further to do it easily
      94 NJ 3L Auto Stocker

Comment

Thanks guys!
        98 NL GLS - ARB compressor, LED conversion on all interior lights, GME UHF, Pioneer SD Stereo, Alloy bull bar, 13,500lb winch, Dual Batt, switch and outlet panel in place of useless centre pod, rear drawers

Under construction - GQ coils

Comment

just did my gq springs today, didnt use spring compressor, just took shocks off the diff and removed the sway bar(was planning on removing it anyway) and dropped the diff as low as possible and used a sissor jack between trailing arm and chassis to open a bit more then the gq coils just needed a good push to get in there.
          '93 NH 3Ltr V6 MAN, petrol\lpg, 31 ATs

Comment

Originally posted by tonymOz View Post
            They won't fit without some assistance. I didn't have spring compressors so I used some strong webbing. I had the wheels off, old springs out and it was clear there was no way to get the GQ's in without compressing them. So I put them under the axle, lowered the jack down which compressed them enough and tied them up with webbing (strong rope will also work). Make sure you only tie inside the top and bottom coils otherwise the webbing/rope will be jammed in when you fit them. Once compressed they went in easy as. I took up the tension with the jack and removed the webbing - presto - sorted.

Whole job for both sides took me about 2 hours. Looks great now.
            This is extremely dangerous a compressed spring has easily enough power to kill/cripple someone and should only be compressed using a good quality spring compressor.
            NJ Pajero 3500 DOHC AUTO

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X