Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear Diff - Options for Oil

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rear Diff - Options for Oil

    Hi all,

    Checked the rear diff oil today and it needs a top up. The owners manual states for rear diffs:

    Rear Diff: Hypoid gear oil API GL-5 or higher SAE80W-90

    LSD:Castrol Hypoy LSX 90

    So my question is, did the NL come out with a free wheeling diff as well as a LSD and diff lock options? I definitely don't have a diff lock, but I'm wondering does that mean that every NL pajero without diff lock have a LSD or did some have open-free wheeling diffs.

    Based on the options I'll purchase some of this:

    For open wheeler: http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp..._Gear_Oils.pdf

    For LSD: http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp..._Gear_Oils.pdf

    Both are API GL-5

    Cheers.
    Last edited by damo03; 16-11-13, 07:28 PM.
    2012 NW with some fruit

  • #2
    I have run LSX90 in open diffs for quite a while and not had any probs. TDS says it is suitable for normal diffs so if you use it you have it covered, LSD or not. Also means you can use in the front end so no need to have many different oils in the shed.
    Note, LSX90 is not suitable for some gearboxes, the Paj being one of them
    2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
    2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks mate. I just realised I have 2 litres of LSX back in Victoria so that'll work well.

      Does anyone know if the NL's had options for both open or LSD rear diffs?
      2012 NW with some fruit

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by damo03 View Post
        Does anyone know if the NL's had options for both open or LSD rear diffs?
        Good question - LSD, LSD + Factory Locker or a third option? Thinking open diff is unlikely.

        I used Castrol LS90 Front and Back when I changed mine (no diff lock).

        Cheers.
        2013 NW GLXR (MY14) Auto

        Comment


        • #5
          Time has moved on and there is a better diff oil to use. Penrite LS140. Also add a 250ml bottle of LIMSLIP. Got this tip from a diff shop and used it for years. Superior to LX90. Think I got the oil and additive from Repco. The NL has an open diff at front and LSD rear as basic issue. Some were optioned up with diff lock but you would know if you had one. The diff plug has letters stamped into the top (well mine has) to the effect "use LSD oil". Clean off the crud to find it. Can use the LSD oil in open diff as well to save having two different oils to mess with.
          99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MTN-KAT View Post
            Time has moved on and there is a better diff oil to use. Penrite LS140. Also add a 250ml bottle of LIMSLIP. Got this tip from a diff shop and used it for years. Superior to LX90. Think I got the oil and additive from Repco. The NL has an open diff at front and LSD rear as basic issue. Some were optioned up with diff lock but you would know if you had one. The diff plug has letters stamped into the top (well mine has) to the effect "use LSD oil". Clean off the crud to find it. Can use the LSD oil in open diff as well to save having two different oils to mess with.
            What makes you say the LS140/limslip combo is superior to the LS90? I have no reason to suggest otherwise(!) but haven't had diff issues in the paj or other vehicles.

            I think there is thread here somewhere - a couple of people said you can use standard(open) diff oil on account of the NL diff (non clutch style).

            Cheers
            2013 NW GLXR (MY14) Auto

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TristanNL View Post
              What makes you say the LS140/limslip combo is superior to the LS90? I have no reason to suggest otherwise(!) but haven't had diff issues in the paj or other vehicles.
              I think there is thread here somewhere - a couple of people said you can use standard(open) diff oil on account of the NL diff (non clutch style).
              Cheers
              The Penrite LS140 instantly cured my LSD clutch chatter issue. Had been using LSX90 up til then and no doubt did a grand job until wear/heat/age effects exceeded it's capabilities. I talked to those who know at DIFFLAP in Brisbane before switching to LS140 and they were right. If I recall correctly the LS140 has a wider range of viscosity which is a result of advances in oil technology today compared to when LSX90 was adopted. LS140 is like 85-140! More protection for hot diffs. Who would tell a person to use open diff oil in NL LSD? Best to speak to diff experts before following that advice. This I did and have passed it on to you. Never use open diff oil in NL LSD. Sure way to upset it. It's the other way around ie can use LSD diff oil in an open diff. Hope this helps.
              99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MTN-KAT View Post
                The Penrite LS140 instantly cured my LSD clutch chatter issue. Had been using LSX90 up til then and no doubt did a grand job until wear/heat/age effects exceeded it's capabilities. I talked to those who know at DIFFLAP in Brisbane before switching to LS140 and they were right. If I recall correctly the LS140 has a wider range of viscosity which is a result of advances in oil technology today compared to when LSX90 was adopted. LS140 is like 85-140! More protection for hot diffs. Who would tell a person to use open diff oil in NL LSD? Best to speak to diff experts before following that advice. This I did and have passed it on to you. Never use open diff oil in NL LSD. Sure way to upset it. It's the other way around ie can use LSD diff oil in an open diff. Hope this helps.
                Thanks for the reply - I'm not trying to disprove/discredit your post - I am just interested to know. Also not going to argue with the experts!

                I take it the diff chatter was in your 99NL?

                This is the thread I was referring to: Regarding the NL diff style/oil - I queried the non-LSD oil comment.
                http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...t=34146&page=2

                Cheers
                2013 NW GLXR (MY14) Auto

                Comment


                • #9
                  The NL rear was suggested to have a torsen lsd and not the older clutch pac and cam setup. Still not quite sure that I'm convinced on that, although I have no reason to beleive otherwise other then I have not seen proof of it.

                  Keep in mind the rear nl diff needs around 3ltr-3.2ltr. Lsd oil is just standard oil with friction modifiers, to date there is no ill affect running it in an open or torsen style diff so if in doubt just run lsd oil.
                  97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
                  97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Just been looking through the fsm's and epc and there is no clutchless Torsen style diff centre in the NL, there is a standard open 2 pinion and 4 pinion, a hybrid locker and a normal clutch pack lsd.
                    97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
                    97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TristanNL View Post
                      Thanks for the reply - I'm not trying to disprove/discredit your post - I am just interested to know. Also not going to argue with the experts!
                      I take it the diff chatter was in your 99NL? This is the thread I was referring to: Regarding the NL diff style/oil - I queried the non-LSD oil comment.
                      http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...t=34146&page=2
                      Cheers
                      I thought your earlier post was a fair enough question and took no offence. As in life, some advice though well meaning can be misleading, so wise to check up. First up I spoke to techs at RACQ and got their 2c worth who then recommended I call DIFFLAP so felt confident I got the good oil. (pardon the pun) What started me on that particular route was the presence of clutch chatter from my LSD. Clearly I do have a clutch pak in my NL. These Pajeros can be a mixed bag as Pauly has alluded to. I am a passive driver wishing to prolong the life of my 4by. However there are occasions when firm acceleration is required. Well the only time I got the diff chatter was while rolling, in 2wd mode and turning left into a loong line of fast moving traffic I seized the chance to meld into a gap, so I power on while turning and the inside wheel intermittently breaks traction ie grip/slip/grip/slip activating the LSD giving rise to chatter. I was told this is normal behaviour for this type of diff but can be eliminated by using Penrite LS140 and the clutch pak will be better lubricated. The small extra expense for this superior diff oil and the long O.C.I. for the diff made it worthwhile. Cheers.
                      99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        i use castrol SAF-XA which is a full synthetic 85-140 and already has the additive that a lot of companies recommend already added.

                        Has had a dramatic improvement on diff noise in the delica and I use it in all my diffs nowadays.


                        as an aside is also what i used to supply to the V8 supercar boys for their diffs so it can take a pounding.
                        Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
                        Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Pauly Faulkner View Post
                          Just been looking through the fsm's and epc and there is no clutchless Torsen style diff centre in the NL, there is a standard open 2 pinion and 4 pinion, a hybrid locker and a normal clutch pack lsd.
                          My NL has a Torsen rear diff in it and a sticker on the diff that states such and no stamping on plug that states use LSD oil.
                          Cheers, Jim.
                          99 nl gls 3.5l auto full leather & woodgrain trim, leather seats, ABS, chrome rear bumper and mirrors, split aircon, standard 50mm factory body lift, dual airbags and 277,000 km on clock, tranny and engine oil coolers. NEW: Reconditioned heads, new camshafts, new radiator, new water pump, New timing belt and tensioner. Brand new set of LT 265/70/16 Maxxis Bravo 771 AT. NG 3.0 Litre 5 spd man superwagon as project. Now registered and on the dirt. NEEDED: MORE MONEY!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            i've seen a few with that sticker so assumed it was fairly common seems to be in the later ones only though.

                            p.s. i just lsx 90 anyway ( on cars other than mine), no longer even keep the epx 80 w 90 at home.
                            Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
                            Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Can you upload a pic for us by any chance Jim?

                              Any by "no torsen diff on the NL" I was referring to a "clutchless torsen" which doesn't require lsd oil.
                              97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
                              97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

                              Comment

                              Matched content

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X