tail shaft into gear box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tail shaft into gear box

should there be a tiny bit of play where the tail shaft goes into the gearbox??, the unis are fine just a slight movement where the shaft enters the box, is that acceptable??
    '93 NH 3Ltr V6 MAN, petrol\lpg, 31 ATs

normally there really shouldn,t be any free play in this area. if you have anymore than say 1mm of play you may need to have a repair done as this is only going cause vibrations and it will cause the rear box seal to wear out very quickly. see how things go and just keep an eye on the free play and look for any new rear seal leaks as time goes on.
    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

There's naturally going to be a bit of movement there but the less there is the better.

And by movement I'm guessing you mean the output shaft on the tailshaft can move around inside the transfer case housing? If so then this is common and will get worse and cause vibrations soon enough. The whole rear extension housing needs to be replaced apparently as it acts as a bush. Outpur shaft could be worn a little as well but it's harder then the housing so it's unlikely to be worn
      97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
      97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

so to fix that issue you can remove the rear tail shaft and replace the seal in the back of the box?? or is it alot harder then that??

Comment

The seal is piss easy to change. Remove shaft, pry old one out and tap new one in. Either park nose down or remove transfer case oil to stop oil pooring out when you remove the shaft.

The housing bit that recieves the shaft is not overally hard to change over but not exceptionally easy either.
          97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel

Comment

so whats the part that allows the tail shaft to mmove in the gear box?? is it the seal?? is that what would cause the freeplay??

Comment

The splines on the slip yoke and on the output shaft are what allows the shaft to move in and out of the gearbox. The seal does nothing but keep oil in and dirt out.

The movement you are talking about is between the splines on the output shaft of the gearbox/transmission and the slip yoke. Unless it is excessive its nothing to worry about.
              NJ Pajero 3500 DOHC AUTO

Comment

im just getting a vibration at 60ks and 90-100ks, the unis are ok and i just had a wheel alingment and ballance so im trying to work out where this vibration is coming from and the only movement in the tail shaft it up and down(slightly)

Comment

Check the gearbox mount.
                  Good way to tell if it is buggered is to inspect the the side mount on transfer case. If it's bush is resting down hard on the outer shell the gearbox mount has sagged.

This side mount is not actually a mount per say, it's just a roll stopper/torque stopper.
                  There is no solid rubber around the bush but instead just 4x little bits of rubber to make installation easier so don't panic if it looks flogged out.

Comment

Also, a better way to check the unis is to actually pull the shaft out and check for notchiness in the joints, stiffness as well as looseness. If they are notchy or overally loose then replace, if they are overally stiff then try greasing them and see if it helps.

Comment

This sounds very simular to the problem I had on the way home from the Harvey run on Sunday..

I think I might have done some damage to the shaft or joints...
                      1998 NL GLS, ARB Bull bar, GME UHF, Rhino Rack roof cage, Terrain Tamer Suspension, Mickey Thompson ATZ, Long range tank, Snorkle & Rallye 2000 Driving lights.

9000lbs Winch (Arrived - Now needs to be installed)

Comment

Heya,

My pajero also has this same play in the tailshaft/ transmission housing that you speak of, and is causing vibrations in the lower rpm range. After doing a bit of research it appears that there is actually a bronze bush inside that can be replaced but is not available via mitsubishi??

Let me know how you get on with this. I'm going to be pulling my housing off sometime in the next few weeks to see what can be done to repair it, not to keen on the idea of replacing the whole housing with a new one.

Comment

Me neither Jonos, and yes that is the same thing I have been lead to believe. It stops the orbital motion of the output shaft yoke.

Someone on here yeara ago had an engineering shop fab one up for them. Can't remember who or how much but the price of the housing was a few hundred back then. A revised part number to replace all existing housings (on the 3ltr that is) has been released and was well under $200 if memory serves me correct.

Mine is loosey goosey and needs replacing, although I have no vibration.
                          Majority of the time with the vibration it's the transmission mount has sagged allowing the side support mount on transfer case to rest hard on the outer shell which sends all driveline vibration through the chassis instead of being dampened through the rubber transmission mount. The other times it's usually the unis.

Comment

Thats good to know regarding the revised part number. Have read of some people paying up to $600 for the housing!!?!!
                            Although mine is a 97 2.8TD non super-select model, but would assume the tailshaft housing would be common to all engine / gearbox configurations??

Thanks for the heads up on the mounts, never actually checked those, will crawl under and have a look.

Comment

2.8td won't have the side mount. Just half moon rubbers on a large bar under transmission(mt8724 part number).
                              Normally those ones just crack and perish away. Sure sign is the transmission lifts up quite easily or the rubbers are all cracked and perished(same goes for the 3.5ltr but different part number for the mount).

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X