Hi and advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi and advice

Hi all new to the forum and congrats on a great place for info.I have been lurking/researching for a while due to the following situation I have. I need a 4wd to put out on a block I have for a shooting touring vehicle and I have been given a 95 3.0 wagon with 370klms not in bad condition missing the rear window and drivers glass and stereo but thats all, however the owner says that the bottom end of the motor is US. I go and have a look at it and the harmonic balancer is spinning like a drunk top but the motor sounds sweet. It starts and runs nicely and no smoke or serious noises. Not thinking I procure a 93 wagon just for the engine which is a rollover and again nice condition some new parts sweet sounding motor fully driveable just no roof and now I have 2 of everything. Anyway thinking again and doing some research on here I bet the balancer just needs replacing not the engine??? I dont want to rip the balancer off the rollover as I would like to keep the engine intact if I dont need to swap them out so I will grab a new one. I could always sell it or keep the other engine for a spare.
    The other concern is that the vehicle I want to use is a manual and the rollover an auto. If I need to swap the motors out is there anything unusual or untoward I should know about? Are the ecu,s motor specific?
    we are not talking big money as they owe me $500.00 all up. The rollover has done about 280klms.
    Thanks in advance.

Motors swap over fine, just need to swap the flywheel/flexi plate over as the auto uses a skinny flex plate instead of the bulky flywheel the manual has.

As for balancer, I would check to see if the bolt has come loose etc. If the end of the crank was bent(don't think that's even possible) then you would surely know, the engine would be bouncing around and vibrating.
    97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
    97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

P.S Welcome tot he forum and congrats on the cheap score
      97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
      97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

Always get a new harmonic balancer bolt, they break or come off quiet often when reused.

Comment

I've just bought an NK DOHC and the harmonic balancer bolt was lose so the bottom gear chewed away the end of the crankshaft. Be careful as it can drop the timing belt! The end of the crankshaft is so worn that even the new gear is lose. Lucky I have another crank...

Comment

Just an update I have now been given another paj wagon 91 model complete except for some glass. I just ordered a rear windscreen and a drivers side glass for the one I am keeping and this one has them..bugger. Anyway I will try to start it and see if it drives but I can rat more parts ie Bullbar etc which I will put on the 95 model. I can use the harmonic balancer etc and also chunky tyres so all looking good. plus have a heap of spares stacked up as well. Getting quite a collection now lol
            Also the house where the 91 model is has a 2008 exceed in the back yard which has taken a small front end hit and some vandalism but mechaniclally very good petrol auto 180 klms. would this be worth buying and what would the motor etc be worth???
            I am trying to upload some pics but the error message comes up that the web page has shifted?? Can anyone help me with that?

Thanks.

Comment

Just trying to get some pics of my fleet up.

Turns out the harmonic balancer chewed the keyway off the crank so I guess that motor is a throwaway. I will pull the motor out of the rollover and stick it in the good paj. I just got the other one ( straight body ) for parts but threw a battery and some fuel in it and it ran sweet after not being started for about 4 years.Drives ok too. It has abs cruise and sunroof electric windows, shame it was let go so bad. This one might become the bush vehicle and the other paj might become a a spare car..

Comment

Working...
              X