Pajero 3.5 Magna Frankenstein engine Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pajero 3.5 Magna Frankenstein engine Rebuild

Hey guys and girls, i recently bought a 1999 pajero for a bit of a project.

Owner said he was driving it when the engine suddenly made a strange noise and lost all power, he limped it home and it sat for 6 weeks

i now know this is a lie, youll see from the photos...

At least it came with a set of Alloys and 5 good Pirelli tyres!

The first of the rust Removal..... looks like shes been on the beach a fair bit!

Engine out time! it was seized solid and had about 10 liters of water/oil in the sump!

The Dissassembly, expecting the worst, especially when i was able to undo the flywheel bolts without turning the engine

This engine had been leaking from just about every possible location. it was filthy! had a buildup of about 5mm all over!

At least the valves look pretty clean....

Oh dear.... well it guess thats why it wouldnt turn over

FILTH!

This engine is dead.... orderd standard sized pistons and this needs at least 1mm overbore!

$200 Magna engine 170000kms! not bad

Pajero head, Clean but in need of a major machining! so will not be using them.

Other head, uncleaned!

Magna crank and Bearing cap

Pajero Valves... Destroyed! Salt water seems to be the cause.

Magna block

Magna Pistons, Time for some new ones!

New piston and rings ready to go

Franken engine being assembled, magna block with magna rods, new bearings and rings and pajero pistons

Pajero vs Magna valves

Heads decked and valves ground in, new stem seals, head gaskets etc...

Found some more rust! always check under your flares!

New Pajero water pump

Previous owners attempt at rust repair! dont diy people! it makes it much harder for normal people

YES thats BUBBLE WRAP, ARE YOU KIDDING !?

Engine coming along nicely

Almost done! Just the cam angle sensor to mount

Cam angle sensor mounting. built and metal bolt on guide to ensure holes are aligned perfectly for the new studs. Sensor shattered so was fibre glassed back together.

Studs stuck in with sealant and thread lock to stop anything coming lose.

Adjust the bolts to align the sensor 100% in the middle

Gearbox was as filthy as the engine, and had a leaky output seal on the transfere box

Engine Time!!!!

New excedy Clutch ! $150 due to faulty release bearing clip! replaced and good to go!

Maxed out the crane and had about 2cm to clear the front of the car!

Was very difficult to align everything on my own and get the input shaft in

Its in!

Gave it some new sparkies! had 2 different brands in each side

And she starts! Not well but it started...... investigated its stumbling and the fact it was making a very strange POPing noise, couldnt find anything. Eventually checked timing and it all lined up, to the harmonic balancer that is!!! turns out that it had twisted and made me assemble it mistimed It was 3 teeth retarded and was firing back through the intake. that was the poping i guess! retimed it and now she purs like a kitten!! a cought and a splutter then was even smoother. looked at the back of the car and found the cause..

So long story short the PO had driven it on the beach ALOT then looked like he stuck it in water and got in the engine and killed it.

and heres proof that a magna engine and pajero engine are pretty much 100% interchangeable IF you fabricate and very very accurate cam sensor bracket!

Now to finish off the bodywork and paint! but its a car again!

so this was/is my adventure, hope you enjoyed looking

Nice job, very tidy engine restoration
    2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

good work mate . wreckers charge so much for pajero engines , Magna engines are plentiful and cheap.

Comment

Great work , the sea water must have caused the rust , I've never seen a rusty Pajero (except a sunroof model) until your pics . I had a Fairmont that the seller said he had it three years and there was no rust . I found the sills were all bog and one year old newspapers !

Comment

Thanks guys

yeah this pajero even has electronic rust protection, thankfully i think i found and removed all the major rust.

its amazing what people will say to sell a car

I just cut out that bubble wrap and filler mess. Going to rebuild the sill PROPERLY with METAL this time

And yes! a pajero engine is easily 1000 for a high km one! this magna engine was so cheap and all the bearings, rings, everything was perfect! amazing really :/ good ol wreckers (theifs)

ill keep adding photos as i go

Just stone/rust guarded the front of the body and behind as well as under the wings

Front bar now black..

Comment

nice work, what sort of timeframe did you do this over?

whenever i need to work under the bonnet i drop my torsion bars.

in the end you will know every inch if that pj.

LC

Comment

Thats Brilliant Dude! Great Pictures also! You'll be a Valued Member in No Time!
              NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

Great pictures - thanks for sharing!
                2013 NW GLXR (MY14) Auto

Comment

Lazyc- due to having to wait for parts and the wasted time on trying to save the old pajero engine it's been just under 4 weeks. I did have uni exams for 2 of those weeks tho :/ so could have sorted it out In about 2 if I had to.
                  And yeah I just use my trusty garage stool if I can't reach far enough back
                  And believe me, I know every inch of this car! Had me more than angry at many stages along the way -_-

Hobbo- thank you I've just seen so many people say a magna pajero swap can't be done due to this sensor, took me about 10 mins planning and 2 mins to implement it. And it works perfectly. 2 holes (perfectly aligned) some studs, bolts and ya done! Thought others would like to know a far cheaper alternative to buying a used pj engine over a magna

Tristan nl- keep watching more to come thanks !

Comment

Necessity is the mother of invention, O' Yes, I Remember when I was Young and Didn't Listen to Others!, LOL. The Price of S/H Magna Motors has just Jumped in value! I wish I had your Energy and Determination Buddy, and so does my wife, LOL
                    NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneekycheese View Post
                      Hobbo- thank you I've just seen so many people say a magna pajero swap can't be done due to this sensor, took me about 10 mins planning and 2 mins to implement it. And it works perfectly. 2 holes (perfectly aligned) some studs, bolts and ya done! Thought others would like to know a far cheaper alternative to buying a used pj engine over a magna
                      Sneekycheese, Looks like you didn't see this from 2010.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9075

Comment

Oracle- I did indeed miss that! Oh well give people some options on what method to use

Got some more done today, just got to paint the flares and put them back on and it'll be fully assembled

Comment

Ive done exactly the same job with my NL, except I kept the original Magna pistons (they were intact) for the higher compression and I made a proper bracket for the cam sensor. Tooooo much damage if it fails! My engine looked like this from inside but I wasn't surprised as I know people @*$#@*$#@*$#@*$# up their car than wait-wait-wait than sell it and in the meantime the coolant/water does the job.
                          Now I have the NK DOHC engine out and going to change the crankshaft due to a lose harmonic balancer.

Does anyone know the Gates part number for DOHC timing belt kit?
                          I think it's TCKWP253 but their website is useless.
                          How much did you pay for the car in this condition?

Comment

Interesting thread. Thanks for the pics and a good write up. Keep the pics coming.

Comment

Excellent Job Sneaky....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X