DOHC Intake Butterfly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOHC Intake Butterfly

Does anybody know if you can get a seal kit for the intake butterflies.
    I've had poor economy and NO power under 3 grand for a while now. Been thinking maybe O2 sensor n blocked cat.
    However, mucking around with top radiator hose I noticed the vacume actuator for the butterflies is busted. They are wide open all the time. I cable tied it closed and it does seem to have a lot more power where I need it.
    The butterflies have a massive vacume leak though, it sounds like a leaky air compressor(could also be behind my rough idle).
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Dave
    '96 NJ ̶D̶O̶H̶C̶, 4M40/AUTO conversion, 2" TJM lift, Alloy bar, Dual Batteries,
    Icom UHF, 31" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Cibie Super Oscars, Aldi 9500lb winch.
    Conversion thread:
    http:// https://www2.pajeroclub.com....ad.php?t=50484

Mine is also leaking there although I have not fixed it yet. I did some research and from what Ican tell the parts needed are not avavailable so u must buy a new or second hand unit. The general idea seems to be the best thing is to delete the butterflies as they do very little. Current vehicles do not use this technology any more.
    NJ Pajero 3500 DOHC AUTO

Comment

G'day there. I have just finished rebuilding a 3.5 DOHC that I bought off Mypaj.
      It had no compression on cylinder #1 and when pulled apart had a burnt/broken exhaust valve which we think was caused by the vacuum leak on the butterfly shaft at the front of the manifold.
      I reckon it would be a good plan to seal up the shaft with silicon until you can fix it. I ended up just pulling out the whole shaft and sealed all the holes with metal putty. From what I have read online I think you have to buy the whole lower plenum. Good luck.
      NJ Exceed, Alloy bullbar, factory locker,ORU 9000lb winch, eBay snorkle,31" AT's
      NL GLS 2.8, PC Challenger auto for the wife.

Comment

I ripped the whole lot out and welded up the holes the shaft went through. left the actuator but it does nothing now. Have had no dramas since, and dare say it is running better.

Comment

Guys ,My 3.5 also had a broken actuator lever so i just removed it and sealed the vacum hose off .Also removed butterflies but left the brass rod in there .Now i also noticed at the time that some of the black rubber seals on the shaft that seal the air between the tubes [ i guess thats what they are called ] are missing altogether .Now what im really asking here, do any of you guys know if this makes any difference to the air flow to the individual cylinders .Thanks Trev .
          Last edited by pajero 96; 22-12-13, 11:53 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by pajero 96 View Post
            Guys ,My 3.5 also had a broken actuator lever so i just removed it and sealed the vacum hose off .Also removed butterflies but left the brass rod in there .Now i also noticed at the time that some of the black rubber seals on the shaft that seal the air between the tubes [ i guess thats what they are called ] are missing altogether .Now what im really asking here, do any of you guys know if this makes any difference to the air flow to the individual cylinders .Thanks Trev .
            The problem is not air flow and this is not related to poor fuel economy / power under 3000 revs.... once the seals (between ports - rubber ones) are gone the alignment of the shaft drops and the butterflies and / or screws snap. You would be wise to remove them before your engine eats them.

The air leak via the actuator will effect your idle and fuel use at idle.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ighlight=lunch
            Last edited by RedSector; 22-12-13, 04:28 PM.
            Pajero NJ 3.5 V45w DOHC Manual.

Mods- Snorkel, LCD Mirror w/ Reverse Day/Night Camera, Ultrasonic Reverse Distance, King Cobra Stereo, S/S Tube Sidesteps, SMD Interior / Exterior Lights, Floodlights, Removable 12'' Enclosed Subwoofer, Alarmed (microwave / tamper / GPS), custom Carbon Fibre Window surrounds, Chrome mirrors covers, Electronic Rust protector, Bullbar, Rev 1.3 lifters & valves, flexible s/s heater & radiator hoses, silcone vacuum hose, Orange Racing hose, 4Terrain HD clutch.

Comment

Ok ,Thanks guys for your replies and also the link .There was really some great info when i opened that link .Now i know exactly what goes on with this stupid bloody butterfly crap they put on these engines .Great Thread .Thanks Trev .
              Last edited by pajero 96; 22-12-13, 07:53 PM. Reason: Post extension

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X