No announcement yet.

Rocker Cover gasket replacement help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker Cover gasket replacement help...

hi just about to replace rocker cover gaskets and the inlet manifold gasket on a 6G72R SOHC motor,

read somewhere that you need to use some sort of gasket sealant in the corners at each end of the cylinder heads where the gasket passes over the camshaft to ensure a good seal is this correct?
    1999 NL WIDEBODY GLS TDI EXCEED

Hi, I only put sealant on the rocker covers (in the groove) - in the same area you describe, not on the heads themselves. No leaks to date.

Mat
    1994 NJ, 3L Auto V6
    2005 NP, 3.8L Auto V6

Comment

Got some RTV gasket glue just in case

Comment

This is one engine that has a high risk of developing a leak if not down righr.
        Clean the groove in the cover and also vigilantly clean the head mating surface right round.
        Main arwa of leak are the exhaust side and humps so be generous with rtv here, inlet side I just smear a bit on but not much. Finger tight bolts and then turn one full turn with a spanner. Let set for a good hour or so then do them right up.
        97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
        97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

will make a note of that and staple it into the service manual booklet i have

cheers pauly

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X