3.5 Tacho in 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.5 Tacho in 3.0

I've fitted a 3.5 instrument cluster to my 3.0 but the tacho doesn't work.

Is this likely because of the different ignition systems between the two engines?

Mate I think this is the case as even the quad and sohc 3.5 tach in dash are different a customer informed me. What is yours from the quad or single ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bogger View Post
      Mate I think this is the case as even the quad and sohc 3.5 tach in dash are different a customer informed me. What is yours from the quad or single ?
      I Don't know Pete, I bought it from you awhile ago and only just fitted it now.
      The redline starts at 6000 same as the 3.0 tacho.
      The main reason I swapped to this one is I find the orange print on the 3.0 models a bit too hard to read sometimes.
      Everything else is working fine.

Comment

Mate now your testing my memory ................ try and give me some numbers of it ? Also check the circuit board at rear and you should be able to see if the pinning is the same from loom plug to tacho by tracing circiut?

Comment

While I can be of absolutely no help in this , I'm watching with interest as I would like to change my dash for the same reason as you did so I hope you find a way to make it work.
          2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
          2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

just pull both dashes down and change over the instument plates them selves
            94 NJ 3L Auto Stocker

Comment

Originally posted by LordMayhem View Post
              just pull both dashes down and change over the instument plates them selves
              I was thinking that as well.

Comment

evening
                the problem could be that the wires for the tacho on the new dash do not line up with the ones from the old dash, the tacho should be no different from one petrol engine to another, the only change would be were it gets the signal, check the old dash against the new and you should see the difference in wiring,
                you could always try running your own wiring from the engine to the new dash and it should work.
                1994 JDM 2.8TD SWB,UNIDEN UHF, 4300KG WINCH, MAXXIS BRAVO AT, ALLOY BAR, SAFARI SNORKEL, WORK IN PROGRESS

Comment

Heya,

I went through this when I replaced my NH 3.0 paj engine with a challenger 3l ( sohc 24 valve). The nh 3l uses the old coil collapse signal tacho while the challenger uses a ecu signal because its electronic igntion with coil packs. Like the 3.5 its signal is square wave 5v (from memory).

I haven't changed over the tacho yet. I haven't looked at it lately but I think I arrived at the conclusion I would need to change over the tacho electronics somehow or change the binacle.

Comment

Hopefully this isn't a hijack of epic proportions as I think it's on topic, but if not let me know and I'll start another thread.

I'm starting to look into changing the gauges over so I can see them better as the brown/orange on the early Gen 2 dash is difficult for me to read in certain light conditions during the day, especially with my brown/orange coloured sunnies on (night/low light is fine).

One option I have is like BM and to use a later model dash.

Another option I have found just recently is this --> Click here for ebay link.

BM have you considered this option or has anyone else tried it and can offer their impressions/thoughts.
                    Last edited by dhula; 08-12-13, 08:56 PM.
                    2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                    2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

I had that mob make a new centre gauge face for me a while ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	01122013799.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	968076

It looks ok but the light doesn't penetrate very well, I need a much brighter bulb.

IMO they're no where near the quality of the factory face and I had to do some mods to make it fit.

Comment

Well I've finally sorted this. The instrument panel between the 3.0 and the 3.5 appears to be identical. The circuit board, from what I can tell is the same so I can only assume the tacho doesn't work or it receives it's signal elsewhere.
                        The 3.0 tacho works in both instrument panels.
                        What I've done is swap the face of the tacho's over so now it's all good.

Something else I've noticed, I run 265/75-16 tyres and the 3.0 speedo was reading approx 5kph slower than actual speed, according to GPS.
                        The 3.5 speedo give's me the same reading as the GPS.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X