more superselect front lights!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more superselect front lights!

right well dad and I have been under Shorty since about 9am and have got nowhere.

tried a new solenoid. Tried bypassing hoses. Just cannot get the front lights to stop flashing.

the actuator shaft has had some lube and it moves, but not when 2wd is selected so I'm guessing its not the freewheel switch.

fortunately the parents gls superselect system works fine, and in comparison this is what we have found...

on the parents working system, when 4wd is selected, down where the yellow and blue vac hoses join the actuator, the blue line has vac and the yellow has done. When 2wd is selected there is vac on the yellow hose but none on the blue.
    now on shorty the blue always has vac and the yellow never, be it 2 or 4 being selected.

am about to try swapping both solenoids from the parents car into shorty. I've only been changing either the blue or the yellow with an swx029, never done both at once...

anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by Alex86; 07-12-13, 01:17 PM. Reason: problem fixed yay!
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Place power to both solenoids and you will hear them activating if they are working. If both working then take for a run at least 15 minutes in 4 wheel drive and you will probably find they will come good. Other switches on rear of transfer case stick and will also give this problem. Everytime I go to Fraser on initial 4wd select this occurs and within 5 or ten minutes up the beach all is good and never a problem again until long time between use.

Comment

ok it seems as though I might have 2 solenoids playing up!

the two from the parents working gls went into Shorty, took it for a drive and exercise and things became normal.
      put my solenoids into parents gls and I couldn't get it out of 4wd.

giving Shortys original solenoids a hit with contact cleaner etc, some 12v and see where we end up. If I need another swx029 then so be it.
      '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Comment

Yeah both are buggered by the sounds of it.
        Or they are not getting power. Put a multimeter on there and see if they are getting connection across both terminals in 2wd. Or pull solenoids out and put 12v across there terminals and you should hear a click sound and the ports change paths. One port is common and always connected to either of the other two, the line to front diff is the common port.

Sounds like you already replaced one but still have vac always on one and never any on the other.
        The way they work is they are a 2way pneumatic solenoid and one port is common and the solenoid connects that port to one of the other two. Blue vac line is the disengage side of actuator and is routed through solenoid so when solenoid has no power there is vac going through to the actuator, the third port is a vent cap so when solenoid is powered "on" the line to actuator can vent the vacuum from that side of actuator.

Same for yellow although it is routed so yellow disengage side has no vacuum when turned off, and when solenoid is powered on it puts vacuum on the yellow line to the disengage side of actuator.
        97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
        97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

righto so the blue wasn't clicking with 12v across it. Has been replaced with the swx029.

now the interesting thing is the problem has reoccurred. I've been under the car greasing the actuator while putting vac on and off to work the shaft, and sometimes it has got a little stuck. Either it needs more lube or its buggered.
          one end of the actuator seems like it'll remove with a couple bolts but the end inside the diff housing looks a lot more difficult to remove. Unlikely to get finished this trip, but at least I might be getting closer to a solution.

could be a combo solenoid/actuator prob. But after 9 hours fiddling its time to give up and have beer instead. Been enough cursing and frustration for one day!!

Comment

FIXED!!!!!!

after plenty of stuffing around yesterday, we came to the idea that I need two solenoids. So a couple of genuine working ones were sourced off a wreck this morning, I've just put them on and she's in and out of 2h/4h as it should!

Rick also mentioned today (good to meet ya too mate) that I should swap two out. Not sure if two swx029 solenoids would have fixed my problem or not, my guess is it would have. Didn't have another to test this theory though.

I have a presumption that one genuine and one swx029 just have some kind of comparability issue. Be it electrical or vacuum flow or something.

my advice to anyone tracking down a front flashing light issue and being unable to select 2wd, even if one solenoid tests good and the other bad, replace both.

Comment

Good to hear its done and working.
              Rick
              Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
              New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X