Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polyair/Airlift 1000 installation guidance

Hello,

I've bought an airbag suspension kit from America, the brand is 'Airlift 1000' (the bag itself is stamped 'Polyair') and it was a bit of a bargain. I could do with some suggestions on how to install as the instructions are a little vague. I have provided photos below to help illustrate my queries...

My large bump stop has fallen off on the right hand side already which I hoped meant I could install without removing the coil spring however the bolt for the missing bump stop hangs down significantly. I'm wondering if this bolt needs to be removed? The red plastic spacer that sits on top of the airbag doesn't accommodate the bolt and valve. Plus the pipe from the valve would be bent on itself restricting airflow.

I'm just wondering if anyone's installed these before and can detail how they went about it. Ive read other threads but couldn't really get the detail in terms of whether the bumpstops are removed etc. If it wasn't for that bolt I could literally just slip the whole lot in without too much drama.

Hopefully you will get the drift when you see the photos:

Help and advice would be much appreciated - pretty sure I will need to remove the springs...

Mat
    1994 NJ, 3L Auto V6
    2005 NP, 3.8L Auto V6

Bump

Anyone?

I will probably just have to take the springs out and have a look in more detail. Was short on time yesterday

Mat
    1994 NJ, 3L Auto V6
    2005 NP, 3.8L Auto V6

Comment

Hey mate, I rang polyair recently for advice on installation as I'm looking at getting a set soon. They told me the way they run the airlines out is to remove the big upper bumpstop and you will see a hole to run them up through. They also said it's very important to get some exhaust heatshielding going as the exhaust sits too close to one of the bags
      MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
      Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

Originally posted by TC.Barky View Post
        Hey mate, I rang polyair recently for advice on installation as I'm looking at getting a set soon. They told me the way they run the airlines out is to remove the big upper bumpstop and you will see a hole to run them up through. They also said it's very important to get some exhaust heatshielding going as the exhaust sits too close to one of the bags
        Hi TC.Barky, thanks for your reply. Couldn't see the hole you mentioned, maybe I need to remove the bolt that held the bump stop in place first. Will have a look in the next few days.
        The kit I bought included heat shields. Im quite impressed with it. Only cost $130 delivered from the US. If you want the link to have a look let me know

Cheers

Mat
        1994 NJ, 3L Auto V6
        2005 NP, 3.8L Auto V6

Comment

Finally got round to installing the airbags. Decided to insert them upside down having removed the bumpstop bolt. So the airline comes out from the bottom and not the top as the instructions suggested. Had to remove the coil springs in the end and drill a hole in the center of the base plate that the spring sits on for the hose to fit through. Will invest in some rubber grommets to prevent the hose chaffing on the metal.
          With the minimum 5psi in the bags I am left with around a 2cm rear lift!

I ran the hoses over the petrol tank to the back and fitted the valves in the rear bumper. The car handles better on road. Less role when cornering and less vibration in the rear. Not tested off road yet...

1994 NJ, 3L Auto V6
          2005 NP, 3.8L Auto V6

Comment

Interesting you chose to run them that way. I did mine a week or so ago and just ran them through the hole in the top of the coil seat that is there after you take the big internal bump stop out. Reckon there is any risk of the line getting snagged underneath?
            Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

Is that the diff breather I see without a hose on it?
              Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
              New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

I really wanted to do it the way you did however mine didn't have any holes to run the hoses where you described. Well there was one but it was way off center so the hose would have been bent/pinched by the airbag. With the large bumpstop retaining bolt removed the there was a hole left but it was closed at the top.

I think my hoses will be ok, Ive neatened them up a lot more than shown in the photo with cables ties. Time will tell I suppose... Another Fraser trip coming up mid January so this will be a good test
                1994 NJ, 3L Auto V6
                2005 NP, 3.8L Auto V6

Comment

Originally posted by my.paj View Post
                  Is that the diff breather I see without a hose on it?
                  I thought that too but it seemed to be blocked off. There is another on the front of the diff with a hose that goes up to one of the crossbeams.

What ya recon?? May consult the manual...
                  1994 NJ, 3L Auto V6
                  2005 NP, 3.8L Auto V6

Comment

If there is a hose that runs up to the round tube you should be ok, there is a plate at the top of your springs that is held in by 3 bolts and the bump stop bolts to that.
                    Rick
                    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***

Comment

Originally posted by my.paj View Post
                      If there is a hose that runs up to the round tube you should be ok, there is a plate at the top of your springs that is held in by 3 bolts and the bump stop bolts to that.
                      Rick
                      Yeah this. I took it all out as one unit by taking the bolts off at the top rather than unscrewing the internal bolt of the stop. Plate and stop just fall down and the hole is conveniently left. Should be fine as youve done it though as long as nothing is putting pressure on the bag and the line can't get snagged.

Comment

Originally posted by TC.Barky View Post
                        Yeah this. I took it all out as one unit by taking the bolts off at the top rather than unscrewing the internal bolt of the stop. Plate and stop just fall down and the hole is conveniently left. Should be fine as youve done it though as long as nothing is putting pressure on the bag and the line can't get snagged.
                        Ah. I get you now! I left the plate/3 bolts in place. Oh well, they're in and all appears to be working well so far. I may look into refitting them properly in the future. Those three bolts were just a pain to get to so I left them.

Thanks for your help guys
                        1994 NJ, 3L Auto V6
                        2005 NP, 3.8L Auto V6

Comment

The problem may be that the plate at the top is to small for the bag to sit on.
                          Rick

Comment

I just went to have a look. The upper plate is depressing the airbag more than I thought it would so I will have to remove them.

Is there a particular tool you used to remove the X3 bolts holding the plate on? The plate makes them quite difficult to get to and my spanner wont fit nor can I get much leverage...

Any advice much appreciated

Mat
                            1994 NJ, 3L Auto V6
                            2005 NP, 3.8L Auto V6

Comment

Originally posted by mat02920 View Post
                              I just went to have a look. The upper plate is depressing the airbag more than I thought it would so I will have to remove them.

Is there a particular tool you used to remove the X3 bolts holding the plate on? The plate makes them quite difficult to get to and my spanner wont fit nor can I get much leverage...

Any advice much appreciated

Mat
                              Ratchet spanner is your friend (wish I had some :-P). The ones with the curved shape are fiddly. Couple of mine were VERY tight. Think it was 14mm but could be wrong

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X