Overall clutch plate thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overall clutch plate thickness

Hi ,does anyone happen to know the overall clutch plate thickness of a new clutch plate for a 96 NJ,3.5Ltr Pajero .When measuring from outer edge to outer edge.Thanks Trev .

Any one out there know the answer to the above question .Thanks Trev .

Comment

sorry can,t help being an auto driver but i would have thought your answer should have been given by now. anyway what is the issue ? are you trying to work out if your clutch is worn out ? please tell.
      NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

I can measure it for you tomorrow as i know i have a new one at home. I do know the 3.5l dohc and the 4m40t share the same clutch.
        Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
        Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

Thanks guys ,Im trying to establish if my clutch plate is still servicable or not and if i can find out the thickness of a new plate i will know about whats left in my present one .1996 NJ,DOHC,3.5Ltr.My plate is down to 2.8mm above the riverts .thanks Trev .

Comment

Originally posted by pajero 96 View Post
            Thanks guys ,Im trying to establish if my clutch plate is still servicable or not and if i can find out the thickness of a new plate i will know about whats left in my present one .1996 NJ,DOHC,3.5Ltr.My plate is down to 2.8mm above the riverts .thanks Trev .
            im pretty sure new clutch plate are roughly around 3-4mm thick from the rivet, ive replaced plenty of clutches but never really noticed exactly how thick a new clutch plate is.

2.8 mm is still ok, but since you've got the box out already...
            does your clutch pedal pulsate? was your clutch slipping? why did you remove it in the first place?

personally i'd replace.

hope this helps, Martin

Comment

Ok ,thanks for your reply mate .The reason i took the motor out was to replace oil seals and replace all gaskets and so on .Also done timimg belt and tensioner, plus idler and water pump ,cleaned inlet manafold and plenam and most other bits and peices .will now wait for Schnitzels reply tomorrow .Then we all will know exactly what thickness they are Brand new .Thanks Guys ,Trev.

Comment

evening pajero 96,
                as you have the engine out I too would replace the clutch, but in saying that as long as the old clutch was not slipping(which I doubt, unless oil contamination)then there is nothing stopping you re-use the old one, once they are down to the rivets is when they start slipping and chewing your flywheel, I mean 2.8mm could last another 5 years depending on use/abuse.
                1994 JDM 2.8TD SWB,UNIDEN UHF, 4300KG WINCH, MAXXIS BRAVO AT, ALLOY BAR, SAFARI SNORKEL, WORK IN PROGRESS

Comment

Thank you SWB Andy.There was nothing wrong with my clutch before removal and the plate is in good condition and clean and also dry .Pressure plate in good nick and flywheel is ok to .Thrust bearing turns quiet and runs smooth .Spigot is like new so i think im all good to go .Just gotta wait now for schnitzels reply as i said i would do then decide from there what to do .Thank you ,Trev.

Comment

if you have the engine out its certainly a good time to replace the clutch unit gear as you really don,t want to have to pull the box out later to replace the clutch etc.
                    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Hi ,So i wonder what happened to schintzels reply .Cheers Trev .

Comment

Overall thickness will probably vary from brand to brand. It's the amount of material left before rivet head contacts pressure plate / flywheel that you need to look at, and from what you have posted it appears to have plenty of meat left on it. I'd probably just get a mech to have a look at it and give you an evaluation. The bit you can't see is if pressure plate is weak or diaphragm is about to crack and collapse. More clutch failures usually occur from pressure plate collapse rather than the clutch plate worn out .............. unless you use the clutch pedal as a foot rest that is ??
                        As Dolphin has said box out I'd put a new one in as it saves a heap of work later.

Comment

Originally posted by pajero 96 View Post
                          Hi ,So i wonder what happened to schintzels reply .Cheers Trev .

would you believe i forgot as i was too busy building the bed and drawers for the back of the delica I am going away in in 2 weeks, will remind myself to do it in the morning.
                          Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
                          Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

New clutch plate is 7 mm thick

Comment

Thanks mate .Funny thing that but mine is a used one and measures 8mm in total thickness.Hmmm.Cheers Trev.
                              Last edited by pajero 96; 15-12-13, 10:02 AM. Reason: Added to post .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X