NJ TorsionsBars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJ TorsionsBars

Its probably been asked a million times but...

I have a set of second hand after market torsion bars but the have no indicators of either left/right or the line up mark.

Can I still use them and if so what is the best way to go about it.
    1994 NJ GLS Pajero 3L Auto, Tigerz11 steel rack and awning, Alloy BB, Yokohama Geolander AT/S, Narva Driving Lights, Soon to be lifted!

they should have marks on one end showing direction of rotation, we can work out which side from that.

Make sure you have the right ones before you start as the NJ has two different lengths of bar, 1 size is 1282 mm the other 1307 in the petrol models.

if it is a TD it should be the 1307 mm ones.
    Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
    Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

Thanks schnitzel. Some pics to explain better.They are the 1307 mm and Both ends are flat with no markings whatsoever. I know which ends go to the front as they are smaller in diameter. No idea what is left or right though. is there a way to figure out which one is what or can the be used on either side if they are not marked.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Pokey82; 13-12-13, 06:00 PM.
      1994 NJ GLS Pajero 3L Auto, Tigerz11 steel rack and awning, Alloy BB, Yokohama Geolander AT/S, Narva Driving Lights, Soon to be lifted!

Comment

wonder who made them have never seen a set with zero markings before, and being a torsional spring they will be side specific.

with no markings you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right and no way of reducing the odds.

problem is they will fail fairly quickly if you get it wrong and probably be stuffed before you find out.

new set if that happens is not super expensive at about $320 plus frt.

hope your feeling lucky.
        Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
        Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

Hard to tell without markings. Although torsion bars are not side specific from off the shelf, they become side specific after they have been used for a while and as schnitzel suggested, they will prematurely fail if swapped around.

Only luck would be to check the splines thoroughly up close and look for wear on them and also look for any signs of spline warpage (I.e splines that are old tend to be slighlty curved from end to end instead of perfectly straight).
          Hope this helps
          97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
          97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

Thanks for the replys. When you mean fail do you mean break/snap or go super sagy?
            Last edited by Pokey82; 13-12-13, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Looking at the sig, I don't think it's a problem, they are too long.

Lc

Comment

Stupid question I know, but are the pics of different ends (have you posted a pic of both ends)
                Assuming you have and that's what we are seeing, but have been caught before with wrong/not all info on a forum so thought I'd pose the Q.

As others have said it's odd to see T bars without some sort of marking to indicate DOR even if it's as simple as a dot showing "this end goes here", in fact I've never seen a T bar without it - Doesn't mean they aren't out there tho.

Is there any markings along the bar itself showing maybe an arrow and a D or P indicating driver/passenger.
                Maybe even and arrow on one and and arrow plus a dot on the other.

Hate for you to waste the T bars without checking all possibilities
                Last edited by dhula; 14-12-13, 11:44 AM. Reason: speeling
                2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokey82 View Post
                  Thanks for the replys. When you mean fail do you mean break/snap or go super sagy?
                  they will sag in a very short time as they will lose their tension.

Comment

Thanks for the question dhula. Those pics are of the same end here are to updated ones. There is a clear circle on one end if that can help someone identify what side it goes on. In the pic TB4 there is also some mark that almost looks like a letter its a bits hard to call it as it could be a L or an old school R. Its the bar on the right at about 11 oclock. Any thoughts?

schnitzel thanks too.
                    Attached Files

Comment

It might be my computer/screen but I can't see any markings that will help you out

Perhaps if you take to the ends and spline area with some cleaner (brakeclean, degreaser etc) and a wire brush it might turn up something
                      Don't use anything more harsh than a wire wheel/cup tho as it could damage the spline area.

IMO the marks to line up the bar in the anchors is not that important because at worst all you'll do is max out the adjuster bolt forcing you to re-index and try again.

The marking for DOR is much more important as it dictates how to mount the T bar so that it rotates in the correct direction when put under load. You are looking for markings like this (the arrow more than anything else

2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                      2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

I have decided not to use the torsion bars and gave them back. so now looking for some more. I'll start a new thread too http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...365#post339365. Thanks to all for your advice.

Comment

did you measure yours?

LC

Comment

Yes. I took them off today and they are the shorter ones 1278mm give or take.

Comment

re-index yours,

Do you have steel bullbar or alloy ? Winch? dual batts?

Any extra front end weight?

LC

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X