Just Bought a 93 NH LWB TD for Charity Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Bought a 93 NH LWB TD for Charity Rally

Hi everyone, my name is Shad and I'm BRAND NEW to 4x4 and I know pretty much nothing about them!! A little about myself, I am 30y/o I am a Hotel Licensee in Wollongong NSW, I drive a VY SS Ute and I love playing computer games! I have purchased this Pajero to compete in those various charity rallies that run annually, they look like alot of fun. Plus taking weekend expeditions. There is alot I want to do to it, e.g. lifting it a little, bigger wheels, snorkel, bullbar, winch, spotlights etc. All of which I am starting to learn about

Just tonight I went and paid for my ebay purchase, a 93 NH LWB 2.5TD. It only cost me $1,500 but it has a problem. It is currently not running, The previous owner was driving and it overheated blowing the radiator cap off and the engine shut down and wouldn't start again. He has pulled the head off the engine, looking at the cylinders there is no scoring and no slop in the pistons. He turned the engine over with the key and the pistons move smoothly with no noises. The surface of the head looks good too but of course this will need checking properly. I've got a friend who is an engine rebuilder going to take a look at it in the next couple of days.

In the mean time any ideas as to what it could possibly be? I've had a couple people say it could be as simple as the rings? as diesels rely heavily on compression to run? I assume if it was a major problem I would hear alot of noises when the engine turns? I have no idea. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to hearing peoples feedback. And am glad to be part of your forum, thank you
    Attached Files
    LoRd ShAdDa -

93 NH TD 5spd LWB
    93 NH V6 5spd SWB

The 2.5 is notorious for troubles with the heads and/or head gaskets. You didn't say how many klms the Paj has done though I dare say it would be quite a few. Spend the extra dollars getting the head done properly and make sure you use the proper coolant to suit. It was more than likely a head problem that caused it to overheat anyway. The bottom end should be fine.
    Good luck in the rallies and welcome to the forum.
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Dave thanks heaps for the info mate, much appreciated. It has done 350,000k's. I'll be sure to use the correct cooloant too, and I'll pay particular attention to the head. Thanks for the welcome and look forward to chatting soon.
      LoRd ShAdDa -

93 NH TD 5spd LWB
      93 NH V6 5spd SWB

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X