A quandary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quandary

So, Shorty has been my daily driver for a while now, and is approaching 200k km - time for a timing belt change.

So I've started to collect bits & pieces - I have a Repco timing belt & pump kit, was about to order a set of valve stem seals & lash adjusters. Then I realised it's burning more oil than I thought - too much (I think) for it to be the valve stem seals alone?

Dropped in to ask my mechanic his thoughts, and he believes there's a knock in the bottom end - not the answer I was hoping for.

So what to do?

I'm attached to my shorty - I can't imagine anybody is going to offer me enough money to part with it, it's worth more to me than it is to anybody else.

I was already comfortable with spending $1000 ish on timing belt / water pump / valve stem seals / lash adjusters. I've already found a drive in / drive out recon (bearings & rings) for $3k, but I'd probably want a more comprehensive rebuild than that. Another larger mob has quoted $4700 for a comprehensive recondition of my motor, drive in / drive out - so I get to keep my engine number.

But if I'm going to spend that much, why stick with a 1980s era petrol V6? Why not go the late model DiD? Duplicate the drivetrain in my NT - I already have the transmission.

Why keep Shorty at all? Why not dump it, and buy something better suited to daily-driver duties? Because I don't want a new car, I'd probably end up spending $5k - $10k over and above what I'd get for Shorty, and still have an old, second hand car with an unknown history. I'd want a diesel - I loved the driving characteristics of the diesel Golf, and I'd want something with a lot of torque. Like the DiD in my NT, but I don't want to use my NT as a daily driver. So spend $5k - $10k on Shorty, and have a modern, torquey diesel for running around town. Maybe, one day, put an aux tank underneath it, and Shorty would have more fuel capacity than my NT...

So.

1. Go ahead with the $1k or so, to extend the life of the not economical 3litre petrol. Or
    2. Spend $3k - $5k on a rebuild of the V6. I've re-built a petrol engine before, so I could do most of the spanner-slinging myself, and save some money. Or
    3. Buy a wreck and go nuts. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a fabricator, so physical install of the new engine & drivetrain I'd need to find some help. The electrical / electronics side I'm happy I could sort out - I converted my Sigma to EFI without much trouble, and I'm telling myself this would be the same, just (much) more of it... Then I'd need to figure out drive shafts & diffs, find out if the Rego people would want bigger brakes...

Note that the "dump and run" option didn't make the list. I've never been good at making the smart choice.

What to do?
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 Toyo MT, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

If I could afford it I would have to go with the 4M41
    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
    New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

If its a daily, drop it on its guts, 3.0 GT engine, no front diff and tubs.

Someone needs to complete this task. I recall a thread starting the project, but never completing.

Comment

Another option

4. Buy a golf

Hill
        200 Series
        AOR Quantum 4

Comment

Originally posted by Hill View Post
          Another option

4. Buy a golf

Hill
          I sold the Golf for a reason.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 Toyo MT, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Keep your eyes out...

Saw a 2008 NS SWB R DiD with 148,000km at Auction go for $8,900 last week..
            Looked clean and tidy, had an ARB Bar and Bushskinz Intercooler guard as the only mods...

That would be worthwhile trading up to over the NJ.. (which ironically exactly what I did going from my NJ GLS to the NS X)

Comment

This is a tough one, but you obviously have a strong emotional attachment to the Shorty. If it were me I'd probably spend the $1k and see what happened. At the very least it would allow you to postpone a more definitive decision, which mostly works for me

After my own experiences with a Golf, I wouldn't touch one.
              BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads

Comment

!

Exclamation mark for previous comment.

Hill
                200 Series
                AOR Quantum 4

Comment

or ls3 it with a supercharger for fuel economy of course if i do an engine swap, it would be a 4m41 or a ls2 but then again for me my pajero will hopefully be my weekend toy with a sas by then.
                  1999 NL 3.5L 3" suspension, 2" body, 35" tyres and a custom front difff drop with sway bar still in.

2003 NM 3.2L diesel (injector pump issue)

Comment

I have a sub tank that's a start
                    2005 MK Triton GLS 2.8TD manual, some fruit, much more to come.
                    retired .. '94 NJ, GLS, swb, 3.0l

Comment

Follow Steve and a 380 V6?
                      MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

Originally posted by twisted32 View Post
                        Follow Steve and a 380 V6?
                        Well, yes, that is an option. Shorty is a 3 litre, so gearbox/transfer won't bolt up to the 380, and there's the issue of new ECU etc. - all the sorts of issues I'd encounter with a DiD conversion. With the DiD I want, I may not have as much power as Steve's 380, but I reckon I can have a better power to weight - with much more torque to weight and ground clearance that Steve will only see in his buggies.

More and more I'm leaning towards (dreaming of) duplicating the drivetrain in my NT. If nothing else, it's easier to justify buying a MUT 3. Two disparate vehicles with common engine / transmission / ECUs / oil / filters etc. I expect I would also learn an awesome amount about how my NT works, and the tools/spares I should carry if I'm ever brave enough to attempt a Canning trip.

I'm fortunate enough that it doesn't need to be a purely economic decision, it definitely has an emotional aspect that I am able to entertain. I'm emotionally attached to my Shorty, and I'm genetically predisposed to modifying vehicles - so there is much more in play here than pure economics.

I figure that, if somebody was sufficiently awesome to buy Shorty I'd throw in another $10k or so to find a daily driver that would keep me amused. Shorty with the drivetrain from my NT would definitely keep me amused, and I'm enthusiastic about the challenge this would present. I would need help with the physical fabrication aspects, but the integration of the electronics already has me fascinated with potential.

So, for now, I'm dreaming. This won't happen overnight (if ever), and realistically I need to do the timing belt / lifters / valve stem seals while I figure out if / when / how I can do the conversion. Thinking about it makes me smile, so I intend to smile for a while.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Originally posted by A Sweaty Pajero View Post
                          or ls3 it with a supercharger for fuel economy of course if i do an engine swap, it would be a 4m41 or a ls2 but then again for me my pajero will hopefully be my weekend toy with a sas by then.
                          X2. Simplify and add lightness......and a whole lot of noise

Comment

I'd go for the diesel swap. I'd rather keep my NJ till it is unregisterable than upgrade.
                            Theres a few that have done the 4M41 conversion on here so info shouldn't be TOO hard to come by.
                            Having just done a 4M40 conversion on mt DOHC, I can say I love it. Fuel economy has dropped from 18+/100 on 98RON to 12/100. That was the first 250km going to work last week with a good mix of heavy traffic and highway. I kept the 4.636 diffs, not the diesels 4.9's. By the time I sell the motor etc. I should finish about square 'cause I got the diesel wreck cheap.
                            If I can afford it in a couple of years time I'll look into the 4M41/auto swap.
                            Cheers, Dave
                            '96 NJ ̶D̶O̶H̶C̶, 4M40/AUTO conversion, 2" TJM lift, Alloy bar, Dual Batteries,
                            Icom UHF, 31" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Cibie Super Oscars, Aldi 9500lb winch.
                            Conversion thread:
                            http:// https://www2.pajeroclub.com....ad.php?t=50484

Comment

the 380 will indeed bolt even to the 3.0 gearbox as bellhousing bolt pattern is supposed to be the same on all v6's but the ecu would be your issue - there are a couple of triton's that have done the 3.0-3.8 conversion now on the forum ecu and all.
                              1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                              *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                              1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back AND 8 PSI of BOOOOOST

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X