sticky gear change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sticky gear change

hi, i have a 91 NH SWB GLS manual, on cold mornings it is a bit sticky changeing from first to second and second to third. it has only done 160,000 ks. is this a common thing with pajero's? what grade oil should i use? is there a good additive to solve this problem and make it as smooth as silk. i have fitted a new slave and master cylinder, the clutch feels good. are there any gear box adjustments?

thanks Scotty.
    PS. still looking for a sunroof shade.

Very common complaint with these boxes,not nice.But changing the oil helps some what.
    Change oil to the recommended gearbox oil only available from mitsi dealership.
    They have a special blended oil made for the box. I have put it in myself and found that it did help but would have to say it was not a cure all.
    Slower gear changing was they only way around the dreaded gear crunch.

cheers John

Comment

thanks johny for your reply. i will give it a go. i see you are from NZ. i come from Hamilton.you might be able to help me. i am looking for a sun roof shade for my 91 SWB. it clips to the under side off the glass on the manual factory sunroof.i now live in suny QLD australia and have not had any luck finding one here.

thanks scotty.

Comment

I've had the same problem and the cause was somewhat surprising! I assume you refer to difficulty in moving the stick?

Only a couple of weeks after buying my nh the alternator packed in and the car was parked for a week while i waited for the new alternator. When I got it back in I found that I could barely move the stick! I was getting a bit fed up with it all so I took it to a mechanic.

He found that one of the covers over the selector mechanism had become loose and two bolts were missing. As a result the selector mechanism had filled with mud(!) and since he cleaned it out it's been very smooth.

I also changed the oil and found it was dark in colour and full of metal dust. I replaced it with Valvoline 75w90 and a tube of Nulon teflon additive. The gearbox is now working quite well and I am in no hurry to replace it. It still has the occasional crunch in second but disappears when it warms up.

Another thing i surprisingly found was that the gear change from first to second is much smoother if I rev it to 3000rpm or so and slam it right in rather than changing slowly with low revs.... I haven't worked out the logic behind this but since I started doing it the gearbox is quite happy.

My car too only has 165000 on the clock so I thought it was a bit premature... But then again, the mechanic reckoned it'd take him one hour max to wind back the kms.... Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
          thanks johny for your reply. i will give it a go. i see you are from NZ. i come from Hamilton.you might be able to help me. i am looking for a sun roof shade for my 91 SWB. it clips to the under side off the glass on the manual factory sunroof.i now live in suny QLD australia and have not had any luck finding one here.

thanks scotty.
          I'll see what I can do.

Cheers John.

Comment

Working...
          X