Suspension noise & bumpy ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension noise & bumpy ride

I've had my 93NH LWB (coil rear) gone over by a mechanic ("post purchase inspection" )

He reckons the bushes are fine as are the balljoints and the steering after he replaced the idler arm. It does indeed corner quite well.

Still, I am frustrated by the amount of mechanical noise that can be heard from the suspension, not to mention how much just normal road bumps can be felt, particularly through the steering wheel.

About the noises:
    There is a clanking noise that appears to come from the back and then there's a metallic tick like sound that is apparent when driving on a badly asphalted road at low speed (not ticking as in repetitive but "tssikk" or something like that )

The bumps can be felt mainly through the steering wheel but can also be felt on the pedals. This has lead me to consider the possibility of the body mounts being worn. Is this a normal occurence? The car has 166k on the clock but appears to have done a bit of 4wd'ing in it's life. Indeed the two front mounts look rather dodgy with big gaps between the washer and the rubber...

The mechanic agreed that this could be a cause. Any thoughts on this? I couldn't find any info on the body mounts in the repair manual (Gregorys), which tells me that there shouldn't normally be an issue with these.... or?

The car is raised a fair bit in the back, maybe as much as 100mm. Where can I measure how much? The front torsion bars appear to be wound up to the max, although they may have sagged a little. It is higher than original though. Could it be the endstops causing such a bumpy ride on normal roads?

The shocks are pretty much shot, particularly in the back. So I wanna get new ones in the near future, any recommendations for the lifted rear end? The springs are blue and from the piece of tag that can be seen the name seems to end on ...flex? Any ideas?
    But even if the shocks were not working at all, would that be a reason for all this noise? Wouldn't it just become more bouncy...?

If this sounds like the body mounts, can I buy these from aftermarket suppliers?

Thanks!

I would be interested to hear some opinions on this too. My NH does a similar thing. It seems to make a clunking noise from the rear when the car has been sitting for awhile. I can re-create the noise by suddenly jerking the steering left to right, and it's driving me to freaking tears.
    I've been leaning towards linkages and mounts, but would need some further suggestions.
    UPGRADING FROM THE NH TO AN NP EXCEED

anyone want an NH? - 2" suspension lift, King springs, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, 27.5mm Rockcrawler Torsion Bars, 265/70 R 16" BF Goodridge All-Terrains, CIBIE Super Oscar 100 watt, UNIDEN UHF / scanner, Dual Battery, 140L Longrange fuel tank
    $6500

Comment

Hmmm, will try the steering wheel jerking too!

Is your car raised at the back? I've been reading about the panhard rod geometry getting upset when the car is raised. Could this lead to the clunking noise perhaps?

Comment

I have 2" raised king springs

anyone want an NH? - 2" suspension lift, King springs, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, 27.5mm Rockcrawler Torsion Bars, 265/70 R 16" BF Goodridge All-Terrains, CIBIE Super Oscar 100 watt, UNIDEN UHF / scanner, Dual Battery, 140L Longrange fuel tank
        $6500

Comment

Guys, this could be completely off beam, but here goes.

I was having annoying squeaky sounds around the door rubbers. So I wiped a smear of silicone spray on all the door rubbers and strikers, including the tailgate door.
          *** * Very bad move. ****
          The squeak stopped, but I had a terrible loud metal clang in the back somewhere. It sounded like a failed suspension part.

Most noticeable on left turns.

I finally tracked it down to the tailgate door banging on the catch or the striker. I ended up temporarily stopping the noise by putting cloth adhesive tape on the lock catch and striker.
          1999 3.5 NL Exceed Auto, Adelaide, South Australia

Comment

I had a read through the gregorys manual
            most likely reasons are:

Loose panhard rod nuts or bushes / worn control arm

Loose stabiliser bar mountings or worn bushes

I guess it's time to jack it and tighten everything up, hopfully not replace anything though.

$6500

Comment

Working...
            X