Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Free-play adjustment

Hey

can someone give any advice in regards to adjusting the steering free play in an NH, NJ etc

I have over 5cm free play that i would like to eliminate. The car is getting harder and harder to keep straight...
    UPGRADING FROM THE NH TO AN NP EXCEED

anyone want an NH? - 2" suspension lift, King springs, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, 27.5mm Rockcrawler Torsion Bars, 265/70 R 16" BF Goodridge All-Terrains, CIBIE Super Oscar 100 watt, UNIDEN UHF / scanner, Dual Battery, 140L Longrange fuel tank
    $6500

Assuming the free play is in the steering box..... under the bonnet you'll find the steering box on the RHS near the front. On top of the steering box there is a nut a screw - hold the screw usings a flat bladed screwdriver and loosen the nut. Then carefully tighten the screw to remove the freeplay - but dont overtighten you'll know youve over done it if the steering wheel doesnt automatically 're-centre' after turning a corner. Holding the screw in that position retighten the lock nut.

Free play might be a combination of worn pitman arm and/or worn idler arm also etc etc. - the above is always a good place to start. The handbook I think has some comment about the amount of free play that is acceptable - I seem to recall 50mm ??

Good luck!
    Lambie
    NJ 1996 ITD GLX (poverty pack) with a couple of extras, ARB bar, dual batteries plus redarc, Glind shower, some roo spotties, running 235 85 R16 AT's for the road and MT's for the tracks, tweeked torsion bars, Free wheeling front hubs, Poly airs and prodegy electric brakes for the camper, GME radio thingy, Long range tank, cargo barrier, have I really spent all this on my bus??

Comment

Hi Bounceferret.
      Ive adjusted the freeplay in mine, easy as.
      Loosen the nut that you see on top of the steering box, keep the steering wheel straight and use a flat screwdriver to tighten the screw in the centre of the nut you just loosend. steer side to side checking the freeplay as you go. dont do it to tight! leave some slack. then just tighten the nut..
      2013 MY13 VRX

Comment

thanks guys, i tightened it today but i think i over tightened it, the steering won't fully re-centre
        UPGRADING FROM THE NH TO AN NP EXCEED

anyone want an NH? - 2" suspension lift, King springs, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, 27.5mm Rockcrawler Torsion Bars, 265/70 R 16" BF Goodridge All-Terrains, CIBIE Super Oscar 100 watt, UNIDEN UHF / scanner, Dual Battery, 140L Longrange fuel tank
        $6500

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X