Whining Noise in drivetrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whining Noise in drivetrain

Hello again! I have a '94 NJ 3litre auto and there is a whining bearingy type noise between 95km/h and 105km/h. The noise stops under decelaration or acceleration. Any clues?

Also at idle maybe at the lights or something, the car hunts forward. When I apply the brake this almost disappears.

And last but not least, the auto seems to hang on to gears a long time. Is this normal?

This is my first pajero and I've only just got it on the road as I bought it unregistered. It was a one owner, done 135000kms with service books.

Any help you could give would be appreciated. Oh sorry, I have put injector cleaner through a full tank of fuel so this might affect the hunting phenomenon I described above.
    Last edited by pagerow; 18-09-07, 11:07 AM. Reason: additional information

I seem to have the same problem. I have just bought an 2000 NL Escape 3500 Ltr auto from the local mitsi dealer and I've noticed the same noise in my vehicle at around 105 to 110 km/hour. I havent asked them what it might be yet but if someone can give any ideas, it could be beneficial to go forwarned!

My vehicle has a switch on the center console which apparently alters how the gearbox changes gear. I have inadvertently pressed this and noticed that the gears did hold on longer. (Thats also when I work out what the liitle hold light in the speedo meant.)

Comment

Originally posted by twc View Post
      I seem to have the same problem. I have just bought an 2000 NL Escape 3500 Ltr auto from the local mitsi dealer and I've noticed the same noise in my vehicle at around 105 to 110 km/hour. I havent asked them what it might be yet but if someone can give any ideas, it could be beneficial to go forwarned!

My vehicle has a switch on the center console which apparently alters how the gearbox changes gear. I have inadvertently pressed this and noticed that the gears did hold on longer. (Thats also when I work out what the liitle hold light in the speedo meant.)
      How many ks has your done twc? Mine is an NJ 1994 GLS but doesn't have that same switch. Very interesting is it not?

Comment

Hi,

What makes you think that it's the Diff making the Whining Noise.
        Have you Checked to see if it has enough Oil in the Diff
        Could be a case of Tyres, Wheel Balance after reaching a Certain Speed

As for your Transmission Problem, Might be a torque Converter Issue. Suggest to go to a Transmission place to check out your issue with the Taking ages to change Gears.

Hope this will point youto the right direction

Mitsir
        NJ Shortie 3ltr
        ARB Bullbar, ARB Front and Rear Air Locca, polyair bag suspension, Airtek snorkel, Dual Battery setup, Exhaust setup, Big Doof Doof Stereo

Comment

Thanks Mitsir

I think it's the diff because the noise goes away if I either accelerate or decelerate at the same speed that brings the whining. I couldn't imagine that happening with tyres although I admit it's possible. The car has just had a wheel balance and alignment so maybe a setting has been disturbed?

Thanks for the diff oil, yes I'll check that.

The tranny changes ok it just hangs in gear longer than what I am used to. But again this is the first 4wd let alone pajero that I've driven. I better book it in for an auto check, I'd hate the thought of doing more damage. Generally though, are the autos pretty tough in the pajero?

Comment

Hi Guys
            I can't check the oil yet but I had a look under there and there seems to be no connection to the diff breather and there is a marking "SY2" or "SYZ". Any ideas about that?

Comment

Hi there fellow pajerians

OKwell I got under and checked the rear diff oil and it was down 450ml!! The front diff was OK but maybe a bit overful? Unfortunately when I took the front bashplate off the whole auto was covered in transmission fluid!! So I'll get it serviced and just see what other damage there mght be. It could just be a leaky pan gasket.

I haven't yet taken the car up to 100km/h yet ... I'll wait until the tranny is serviced.
              Oh! BTW the car does have a diff breather I was ...er ...*looks at fingernails* looking at the wrong side of the diff.

Last edited by pagerow; 24-09-07, 03:05 PM. Reason: embarrassment

Comment

Sorry for the hiatus - bunfight at work. Car still has whine but I'm noticing it at other speeds now so I'm thinking diff.

Comment

Originally posted by twc View Post
                  I think that is "A/T Mode" or something like that. Parents have it on their auto GLS.
                  I cant remember what it was supposed to do, the manual will point to it. 'power' seems to come to mind, but i am not certain.

simple fix for you twc- dont drive at 105-110
                  Last edited by Alex86; 03-11-07, 10:51 PM. Reason: little bit more info
                  '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                  Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

hi pagerow i was just woundering if you found the prolem out with the auto hanging on in the gears ive had mine in to get two seals fixed in the bell halzing and it came back hanging on in the gears and it wasnt like that when it went it so i was just woundring if it was a easy fix or i had to take it back where i got the seals done thanks

Comment

Hi NJ Pajero, no I have to save up my bikkies first. Interestingly though when I have had autos go sproing on me before they always seemed to just run through the gears quickly,. Most autos that hang on a long time seem to be in good nick. As I said elsewhere, my brother has an 80 series cruiser and he reckons Mitsubishi autos have a great reputation. So what I'm going to do is get the thing serviced and go from there.

Sorry it was a while coming
                      Last edited by pagerow; 04-12-07, 08:25 PM. Reason: sperling mistooks

Comment

Hi,
                        Some months back I was browesing in the local newsagents I came across a book that covered inbuilt faults on various vehicles, I think it was called something like "Lemon Cars", the main word being "Lemon". In it under 3ltr Pajero`s it stated that a developing diff whine was a common fault in this model. My NH has the same whine and it disappears when you lift your foot on and of the throttle. Hope this answers your question.
                        Regards SeaDog.

Ps : Next time I am in that newsagent I will see if the book is still there.

Comment

I'm not too sure whether your referring to the same whine I have - not particularly noticeable until you wind the windows up and turn the stereo off.

Sound fairly similar to the wheel bearing problem I had with my old suzuki sierra.

With both Mistu's and Suzuki's having relatively strong drivelines, one would assume that it is likely to be a wheel bearing and not the diff - however, both problems are hard to distinguish from one another without opening the diff up.

Cheers,
                          Jayden
                          NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

hi guys i have a 98 nl gls with the hold/power button.
                            the hold side make the car pull away from the kerb in second gear and it lengthens the gear change.

the Power button quickens the gear change..

coming down hill in 4LLc in 1st with the hold "on" i still have to hold it with the brakes. I THOUGHT it would be like a manual box and "walk" downhill..

Rod

Comment

Yeah this is really interesting beaky. I didn't think the track we were descending was that steep, about 25 degrees. Maybe the tranny was doing as it should and that autos won't hold in 1st the same as manuals?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X