New engine for NH? '94 model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New engine for NH? '94 model

Hello all, I need a new engine for my '94 Pajero.
    I have been quoted $5000 for a complete rebuild of the original 3.0 engine (UMR in Brisbane).
    I am trying to source alternatives, I've found imports for around $2000 but not sure about them.
    Also considered the 3.5l and the 3.8l, I hav'nt had good reviews about the 3.5l and don't know anything about the 3.8l. I heard the 3.8l was made available in the mid 90's as an option.
    $5000 seems alot but the alternatives may be just as expensive.
    I'd like a bit more grunt aswell.
    If anyone as advise about this it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

Hi There.
    Im also looking for an engine upgrade,
    I think the 3.5 and 3.8 would end up costing you alot more to do the full conversion.
    Im currently looking at the 3.0 6G72 out of an MK Triton, they are basicaly the same engine so would be a straight forward swap, i think. Maybee need to change computer and wiring loom mods. Also a little more power out of the 6G72 from the triton, and they are LPG compatible.

Glad to see somebody in the same bout as me..
    We can help each other out with whatever info..

Thanks...
    2013 MY13 VRX

Comment

Originally posted by Barneymutt View Post
      Also considered the 3.5l and the 3.8l, I hav'nt had good reviews about the 3.5l and don't know anything about the 3.8l. I heard the 3.8l was made available in the mid 90's as an option.
      I think you may have been reading about a different car, perhaps a commodore? - 3.8 only became avaliable in the np, so about 2002. The 3.5 has come in 2 variants in the pajero, dohc and sohc. Outta the two, the sohc would be the pick of the crop and has a brilliant rep for been smooth, relitively economical etc. Read any of the reports on the magna and youll be hard pressed to find one that knocks the motor, worst ive read was they bagged the 'lack of modern technology' but continued to say how refined it was and how the performance was more then adiquate...

All besides the point cas it would cost a fortune to do... there is a supercharger on ebay atm to suit the 3ltr, maybe an option there?

Comment

I would shop around mate! I got my 3.0L fully rebuilt in melbourne for a touch over $4,000 (this included valves, seals, belts, pipes, new radiator, engine mounts, transmission service, etc)
        If you want a new engine on the cheap, go to a good wreckers buy and engine from them (make sure you check it's condition with a compression test) they shouldn't charge you any more then $2500 for a good engine fitted!
        UPGRADING FROM THE NH TO AN NP EXCEED

anyone want an NH? - 2" suspension lift, King springs, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, 27.5mm Rockcrawler Torsion Bars, 265/70 R 16" BF Goodridge All-Terrains, CIBIE Super Oscar 100 watt, UNIDEN UHF / scanner, Dual Battery, 140L Longrange fuel tank
        $6500

Comment

Thanks fellas, I think I'll look for another engine to build. I had the heads done 12mths ago (new ones) and keep them for spares for the moment.
          The supercharger sounds allright. Someone suggested the GTO engine but I think that would cost more than the car is worth.
          Thanks again fellas.

Comment

Just remember the 3.5l engine came with a bigger gearbox and diffs to handle the extra power.
            Mitsu did a 20mm body lift to fit the gearbox in, and even then it is tight.
            So if do try and swap the 3.5l in, is it worth looking at the rest of the drive train?
            John C AKA oldplodder

1996 LWB - 2.8l turbo diesel

too many extras to list, who cares anyway,
            when they get a bit older just grateful it still goes OK.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X