Diff Locks and Lower Low Range Gearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff Locks and Lower Low Range Gearing

Can anyone help me with advice re diff locks and fitting better low range gearing to a 97 3.5 auto.

Low range gears for the 3.5 Auto have been developed, but I'm not sure of availability - AFAIK, they're a low demand product which are made in batches. Pickle should know who to contact about them.

Currently, there isn't an aftermarket diff-lock available for the rear of the 3.5 vehicles. ARB is developing one, but it's low priority and keeps getting delayed. Latest word is 2008 (early-mid, IIRC.) NJ Exceeds came with a factory difflock - you could try wreckers. Current Tritons have a rear difflock available ex-factory, but I don't know if it fits a Pajero - hopefully we have someone who knows.

There are a few options available for the front diff. ARB make an excellent Airlocker which fits most Gen 2 and later models. Geelong Differentials made a few custom Detroit autolockers to suit, and I think there are a couple of other brands of autolocker available too.

Personally, I have crawler gears, front ARB & rear factory LSD, and this combination does everything I need. I don't know if I'd take a rear ARB, even if it was free.

Cheers,

Scott
    Last edited by nj swb; 14-10-07, 07:03 PM.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Diff Locks and Crawler Gears

THanks Scott for all the info. I will probably go with front air locker.

Where did you get your crawler gears and how much? Are they difficult to fit? What would you expect a workshop to do the job for?

Also interested in a lift front and rear - any suggestions.

regards

Comment

I bought my crawler gears from the bloke who developed them, pre-installed in a reconditioned transfer case. I managed to find somebody to do the transfer case swap for a little over $300, where most mechanics wanted $700 plus. Most wanted to remove gearbox & transfer together, before separating the transfer - it is possible to remove the transfer without removing the gearbox. I have no idea if it's possible to do it this way with the 3.5 auto.

Current pricing, I'm not sure. I'd guess $1100 for the gear set, and budget about the same again for the install - because I believe it would be silly to remove the transfer case and not recondition it while it's out.

Suspension modifications is a whole new can of worms. I suggest you start a separate topic for that one, as there's many members here who could advise on that, but may not read a "diff locks & low range gearing" topic. When you start it, tell us a little about your Pajero; primarily what you use it for and how much weight it carries.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X