Finally got a Paj!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got a Paj!

Hi all. I'm a newbie owner of a '94 LWB GLX Paj (manual). I have had a heap of fun over the last few years in a Subaru L series that was amazing and would go just about anywhere (with a few modifications), but just wasn't big enough or tough enough for serious long-term off-roading.

Anyway, just bought this great vehicle for a good price. Excellent condition and runs like a new car. I don't think it's ever been off road more than a couple of times (I'll soon fix that!) and is nice and straight all-round.

At the moment it's pretty standard, apart from beefed up suspension in the rear.

I'm getting 16" alloy rims and new Goodyear Wranglers put on (new Silent Armours). I was wondering about the traction department. I am pretty sure it has a LSD, but I am looking to put a locker in the front at some stage (probably ARB air locker).

Any other tips on what you guys would recommend as mods, accessories etc. to make it a nice off-roader without sacrificing every-day driveability?

Cheers. Steve.

Another NJ Paj!

They ahve to be one of the most reliable Paj's around ... JMO 'cause I've got one!

Not sure what size tyres you have but certainly 31" would be good ... I have 15" rims and find with the 31" rubber it's very good on sand (still get bogged tho'!).

I've also got 2" suspension lift which makes it sit quite high ... again very handy and no extra noticeable fuel useage. With stronger suspension it is much better to tow as well.

LR 140ltr tank if you can afford it is very good ... gives you 1000km range (not towing).

I don't have diff lockers largely due to the age of the car ... not sure how the old diffs would handle it.

2.5" exhaust is VERY handy (sounds good too!) and I even found a fuel saving of half a litre per 100k.

Good luck and happy 'Pajing'!

Scol.

Comment

Originally posted by jusluvfishin View Post
      Hi all. I'm a newbie owner of a '94 LWB GLX Paj (manual). I have had a heap of fun over the last few years in a Subaru L series that was amazing and would go just about anywhere (with a few modifications), but just wasn't big enough or tough enough for serious long-term off-roading.

Anyway, just bought this great vehicle for a good price. Excellent condition and runs like a new car. I don't think it's ever been off road more than a couple of times (I'll soon fix that!) and is nice and straight all-round.

At the moment it's pretty standard, apart from beefed up suspension in the rear.

I'm getting 16" alloy rims and new Goodyear Wranglers put on (new Silent Armours). I was wondering about the traction department. I am pretty sure it has a LSD, but I am looking to put a locker in the front at some stage (probably ARB air locker).

Any other tips on what you guys would recommend as mods, accessories etc. to make it a nice off-roader without sacrificing every-day driveability?

Cheers. Steve.
      Welcome onboard Steve - I started in L series - beautiful Orange or faded red what ever turns you on color. Yep they are very underestimated vehicles.
      Hold off on the locker - spend the money on GOOD rubber and GOOD Clearance. There are plenty of accessories i'd add - winch, compressor, UHF Cargoe barrier etc but you may then find you need a locker of sorts.

Have fun though.
      "Never Underestimate a childs ability to get into trouble "

Comment

Hi Rugrat. I don't know whether you are the same Rugrat that used to frequent the Backyard Boys Subie forum?

Anyway, yes I have decided that the locker can wait. Been pretty slow at work today and I have done some research on the Paj LSD. Seems to have a good reputation and adequate for most situations a standard vehicle could get into anyway.

Wheels and tyres are definitely the priority at the moment. I have been doing some searching on the tyre reviews on the net and the new Goodyear Silent Armour Wranglers are showing up as being excellent AT tyres, and the higher profile will be a bonus. I think the next thing will be the UHF and a bullbar, followed by a lift and then.... Uggh - MONEY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jusluvfishin View Post
          and I have done some research on the Paj LSD. Seems to have a good reputation and adequate for most situations a standard vehicle could get into anyway.
          jack up the back of your new acquisition (both wheels). If you spin (by hand...) one wheel forward and the other goes forward with it, the LSdiff's working. Now i cant remember what's meant to happen if you get someone to hold the opposite wheel when you try spin yours... someone more knowledgeable could chime in. but i _think_ you shouldnt be able to stop the held one from spining.

but whatever happens, when mine got checked pre-purchase the mech reckond it was showing signs of wear.

oh, congrats on the purchase.
          '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
          Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X