YES = Magna 3.5 into an NL Pajero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YES = Magna 3.5 into an NL Pajero

I have just finished fitting a TL magna 3.5 v6 into my NL Pajero.
    I know a lot has been said about the 3.0 but nobody seamed to be 100% sure about the 3.5.
    Yes it does fit. Like the 3.0 you have to strip EVERYTHING off the Magna motor until you are down to the basic long motor, this includes the oil pump, drive plate and LHF cam gear.
    There were only a couple of issues to deal with which were overcome with about an hours extra work.
    The heads are different castings (and sorry, no, I don't know if the Magna heads will fit onto the pajero block) and a small corner has to be cut off the RHF for a bracket to fit back on. (It is only a projection with a stud hole and is not important)
    The next problem is a bit more involved but can be overcome with a bit of flat 1.5 or so steel or aluminium flat bar. The Magna runs a distributor but the Pajero has coil packs so it has a cam angle sensor behind the LH cam sprocket but there are no holes to bolt it to on the magna head. I made up a bracket using the flat bar held to the head by a 6mm bolt in the unused hole behind the sprocket and then wraped the bracket around the head and used two screws to hold it to the side of the head. I then copied the exact sensor location from the Pajero head and drilled two holes in the bracket to hold the sensor. You then have to use the sprocket and disc from the Pajero and Bobs your uncle!!
    Everything else has to be transfered from the Pajero motor but it all fits without mods.
    It took me just on 22 hours from start to finish, including stripping the Magna motor, and could not be happier with the result.
    The motor I used had just over 100000 on it and is great on petrol and gas. No settings had to be changed and is as smooth as silk.
    Total cost including new platinum plugs, cam belt kit, water pump, oils filter, oil and the second hand motor came in at under $1500.
    Unfortunately you can't use the injectors from the Magna motor as they are different lengths.
    I hope this helps anyone contemplating doing this swap and now you can be sure it will fit.

Tom
    1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
    1953 Morris Minor ute
    1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
    2008 Mercedes W211 e280 CDI sport
    2003 Ford Transit

good to see it can be done that will end alot of confusion
    well done
    SOLD
    93 NH 3.0 v6 auto Gls
    2.5' exhaust
    uniden UHF
    5% limo tint
    lightforce 240s down bottom
    lightforce 170s up top
    Cooper Discoverer STT 31'x10.50
    SOLD
    new car= 2006 ford courier gl duel cab 4.0 v6 5sp auto
    ironman winchbar ligthforce h.i.d 240 and 170s
    31x10.50 maxis brao 751
    flexyglass canopy
    uniden UHF

Comment

+1.

nice one.
      SWB '91 NH V6 3ltr front lokka, rear factory locker, BFG 33s, LWB springs out back, and torsioned up front. Manual hubs and next up: snorkel. Shiny custom or safari... hmmm.

Comment

Good on you for diving in and getting it done mate

How does the motor preform against the old one??

Cheers Longy
        SOLD NJ 1995 GLS 3.5lt 5 spd 210,000km- 150lt long range fuel tank, 32" Maxxis Bighorn Muddies, Custom painted black&White Patrol offset Sunnies, cat back exhaust system 2.5" up front 2 1/4" at the back, Ironman 2" lift all round, aftermarket steering wheel, and head unit , auxiliary battery housing.

Comment

The motor seems to have more power, but then again the old motor had 250000 on it (was still in good cond but was pressurising the cooling system)
          We are in Tasmania at the moment and pulling up the hills out of Hobart there appears little difference. It looks like a good swap.

Tom
          1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
          1953 Morris Minor ute
          2003 Ford Transit

Comment

What do you mean pressurising the cooling system. Whats the go with that, does it mean the coolant keeps blowing out the resivoir. What causes that?
            04 NP Exceed
            3.8 V6
            My 2nd car and boat tow vehicle
            I love her

Comment

He means that compression that shoulod be contained to the compression chamber is leaking into the cooling system. Usually means head gasket or cracked head.

PRessure into the crank case and oil blowing out the crank case breather usually means rings (at least) are worn.

Comment

just a quick question here , does anyone know if this would be possible with a NJ 3.5lt DOHC as well ?

Oh by the way nice work on the conversion

Comment

Follow up post

Just an update after travelling 1500km on Magna motor.
                  There have been no problems since fitting but what has become apparent is a huge reduction in fuel used. We travelled 21000km from Perth to Hobart (via Darwin, Cairns etc) towing a pop top van mainly using gas when it was available and travelling at 100km/h when able. The trip averaged 20l/100km. Upon reaching Hobart and travelling up and down the hills surrounding it the consumption had remained about the same without the caravan. The motor was showing signs of head gasket problems for about 10000km but never used oil or overheated (just blew out a litre or so of water daily.)
                  Since doing the change I have averaged 12l/100km which is a BIG improvement and a huge saving on the wallet!
                  Now I know that my motor would have been getting a little tired at 250000km but it was still performing very well and examining it after removal I could see that the problem was only with No2 cyl (exhaust port was free of carbon and slightly rusty).
                  I am still using the same injectors and all other settings have not been changed.
                  It would be interesting if anyone else does this swap could let us know if the same happens to them.

Tom
                  1953 Morris Minor ute
                  2003 Ford Transit

Comment

Hi Tom just wanting to know how your magna motor is going, my motor is getting a bit sad and want to put in a magna motor for a short time untill I get up enough money to rebuild mine or just leave it in there, any feedback would be great.
                    Rick
                    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
                    New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

Still going strong!

Hi Rick
                      I have put on another 20,000km since my last post and have had absolutely no problems at all. It has done 99% of it?s running on gas and has had to handle the hills south of Hobart on a regular basis. I also use it to collect firewood and my trailer loaded would weigh near 2t and I am sure there has been no difference in performance between this motor and the original Pajero one.
                      Through winter I have averaged 17l/100km (350km from -60ltr gas) which is not bad given the terrain I travel on, (always in 4H on the bitumen) the weight I carry and the full length roof rack (and I don?t spare the right foot), but I can still get it down around 12s if I do a run through the flat midlands area without the trailer and roof rack.
                      I have found no pitfalls with the swap and would recommend it.

Tom
                      1953 Morris Minor ute
                      2003 Ford Transit

Comment

Over two years since transplant

Hi
                        It,s been over 2 years since I did the Magna 6g74 engine transplant and just wanted to say it is still going great.
                        The Pajero's main use lately has been as a tug for my boat, caravan and and firewood trailer and it has performed faultlessly.

Will update again next year

Tom
                        1953 Morris Minor ute
                        2003 Ford Transit

Comment

good stuff! better motor would make all the difference

lol i know where those two photos are!

1st one is that YMCA shed on the way to dover
                          2nd one is gordon jetty & caravan park, in the background is bruny island- one of the top 20 4x4 destinations in australia
                          1999 NL WIDEBODY GLS TDI EXCEED

Comment

Originally posted by P-E-T-E- View Post
                            good stuff! better motor would make all the difference

lol i know where those two photos are!

1st one is that YMCA shed on the way to dover
                            2nd one is gordon jetty & caravan park, in the background is bruny island- one of the top 20 4x4 destinations in australia
                            Nice spotting Pete, the "shed" is now the "Port Huon Sports and Aquatic Centre" with the Marina just to the left. (The picture was taken from my front garden.)

The Gordon caravan and camping site has Just been upgraded and includes 4 Enviro toilets and great parking areas, all for only $5.00 per night!!
                            One of the best "on road" sites in Tassie.

Tom
                            1953 Morris Minor ute
                            2003 Ford Transit

Comment

Originally posted by tomwithannl View Post
                              Nice spotting Pete

Tom
                              Muhahaha i knowes where you live lol, and yeah camping ground is lots better now they have the new facilities there and fixed up the marina, bout time the council threw some money at that place!
                              1999 NL WIDEBODY GLS TDI EXCEED

Comment

Working...
                              X