Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blinker fuse blown = Instrument warning lights!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blinker fuse blown = Instrument warning lights!

Hello All, Lent the Paj to the brother in law to take some trailer loads of rubbish to the tip. It was its first outing with a trailer post wiring up the blinkers on the ARB BBar. I was advised when I got the BBar that I would need to increase blinker fuse size, but forgot to actually change it at time. Brother in law rang up very apologetic and worried as he had been driving the Paj and not noticed until getting back from the tip that the Alternator, Auto-Trans over heat and the water in Diesel filter warning lights were on. "I didn't do it" was his statement. To cut a long story short, after much panic from me (and hime), plus checking alternator charging voltage, fluid levels, etc, it was finally the Blinker (hazard) fuse blown. Changed to 15amp now so all happy. Interesting blown fuse indicator form Mitsubishi, 3 unlrelaeted warning lights coming on!!
    have fun
    Bernard
    2003 NP DID GLS Auto, 50mm Iron Man Suspension, ARB BBar, Chinese winch, custom fridge/equipment rack, Rhino RoofBars and alum TGM roof rack, UHF CB, Bridgstone D697 265/70-16, Safari Snorkel, Polyair

This is now fairly well known and fairly common. First time mine did it I took it to Mitsu not knowing what the hell was going on. They had it for 2 days, overhauled the alternator(!!!) and charged me $650 for the privelage before admiting that it was actually the fuse at fault. Ugh!

But as to why it lights up all those warnings - no idea.

Pat
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Been in a similar situation when Dad and I did a bit of work on his NL. Won't bore anyone with the story though, but fortunately we didnt get all those other warning lights you had! Just busted a couple more fuses in the process of sorting it out!

One thing to check though Bernard- that the standard wiring thats been used in the Paj can take a 15A load. Don't want the wiring to give way before the fuse!!!
      '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
      Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Hi there Bernard,

Freaks you out the 1st time it happens doesn't it?

I vaguely remember mentioning this about 1000 times!

Hope all is well.

Regards,

Jason
        Jason.

Eastern Burbs of Melb

100 Series Land Cruiser

"Sahara"

Comment

Thanks for the kick in the guts Jason! That'll teach me for being lazy and not doing the fuse straight away! Yes you told me plenty of times, didn't mention the symptoms it caused though! Surprised you didn't give me a comment on Toyota! But by amusment, my mate with a new Hilux recieved a recall leter this week for among things, "to upgrade blinker relay and fuse for Hilux's fitted with factory winch bar"(has extra blinkers)

WRT cable size, not that concerned for blinker use, as the peak is high but average is low.

thanks All
          Bernard
          2003 NP DID GLS Auto, 50mm Iron Man Suspension, ARB BBar, Chinese winch, custom fridge/equipment rack, Rhino RoofBars and alum TGM roof rack, UHF CB, Bridgstone D697 265/70-16, Safari Snorkel, Polyair

Comment

Originally posted by bernardpotatoe View Post
            WRT cable size, not that concerned for blinker use, as the peak is high but average is low.
            If you want to avoid a fire, then you do need to be concerned about upgrading fuse size.

A fuse size must be no greater than the capacity of the thinnest wire that it feeds - so that if there is a short circuit, the fuse melts before the wire does - and sets fire to its insulation - and then the vehicle.

The fuse minimum size is set that it won't blow during normal currents drawn by the loads it feeds.
            Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

thanks Mike, you are correct. Can't be bothered checking the official rating that Mitsubishi gives cabling on car. So I'll just take the risk. 225watts vs 150watts (15Volts @ rated current) over the lengh of loom for the time it takes fuse to blow should be OK (fingers crossed)

Comment

Blinker Fuse

bernardpotatoe

I had the same problem some time ago, straight after installing an ARB bar with extra blinkers. The fuse blew while towing the caravan.

I had been all around Oz with the van prior to this with no problems.

The RACV said I need a new alternator. An astute local auto electrician knew immediately what caused the problem. He reduced the size of globes in the ARB bar blinkers with no further problems. Have done several trips with the van since then, perfect.

This might be a safer option than changing fuse sizes.

Jeff.
                05 Platinum Edition, DID, Auto, ARB Bar, dual battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                  bernardpotatoe

He reduced the size of globes in the ARB bar blinkers with no further problems.

Jeff.
                  thanks Jeff, an incredibly simple but totally effective solution. I can be bothered doing this, thanks again!
                  Bernard

Comment

Bernard, if you do decide to change the globes be carefull when screwing the lense covers back on...

Was told after i got the bar that ARB have a habit of overtightening the screws, and when retightened they can crack the cover, which will lead to water getting in..

I was advised to use that semi permanent locktite rather than overtighten.

Good luck.

Regards,

Jason
                    Jason.

Eastern Burbs of Melb

100 Series Land Cruiser

"Sahara"

Comment

Hello Jason,
                      With the ARB mount kit for the BBar, I got spare blinkers, so I'm lucky!

thanks again to all
                      bernard

Comment

Just replace the bulbs in the bullbar (and tail lights if you like) with LED types, much lower loading and no fuse popping. Should not affect the indicator relay operation on most modern vehicles.
                        Having said that, I've upped my fuse to compensate for the load of the bullbar with trailer attached, just haven't got round to using LEDs yet.

- Rob.

Comment

Hi Guys
                          The other fuse to think about is the LH Parker, The trailer wiring is connected to the LH parker circuit, If you tow a large van with more then 6 clearance/tails light, unless they are LED lights it will blow as well, but as Mike DID has pointed out check the wiring size and no of lights before upgrading to a 15amp from 10amp.
                          Muzza
                          Muzza
                          2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
                          2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
                          2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

I decided my van was probably putting the park light circuit up near its limit, what with having the extra lights also fitted in the Paj so I have put in a relay - the Paj's park light circuit activates the relay, which draws the current for the van's clearance, tail and number plate lights through a fused lead from the battery. I must say they look a lot brighter - yellowish before, white now.

Gaz
                            Last edited by gaz1; 11-11-07, 02:42 PM.
                            2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

This exact scenario happened to me last weekend. I was so thankful that I discovered that my turn signals and hazard lights were not working as well as the A/T Temp light, brake system light, and alternator lights coming on. All happened at the same time, so I knew that these systems were not supposed to be related. After 1 hour of searching and troubleshooting I came across that 20A fuse that was blown. 50 cent part and I was back on my way without any issue since.

Pretty dumn that these other, non-related, warning indicators would light up. I feel bad for those who have taken their truck to the dealer only to have the alternator rebuilt or brake systems worked on.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X