NM DiD rough idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NM DiD rough idle

My 02 DiD has developed a rough idle if I drive at 100km/h for more than about 5 minutes, it also appears to have a slight miss. However, if I turn the engine off for a few minutes, it will idle and run sweetly again. I have had the vehicle in to the local Mitsubishi dealer who told me error codes were showing for the crank angle sensor, cruise control and auto gearbox and that there was probably a problem with the ecu. The dealer said that he would need the car for a week to diagnose the problem. has anyone experienced similar symptoms with their 3.2 diesel?? and is a week just to diagnose the problem realistic?
    2002 3.2 Did Gls
    TJM Bullbar, TJM Sidesteps, IPF spotties

Rough Idle update

Thought I would update anyone who may be interested on this problem. I booked the vehicle into the local Mitsubishi Dealer for three days. At the end of this I was given a bill for just under $500 and the explanation that they think it is the Speed sensor. The part would be $130 + another hours labour to fit it, but there was no part available in Australia and they had backordered it from Japan, could take a month.

When my wife drove the pajero home from the dealer, it ran rough as guts and started surging with no foot on the accelarator. Then it stopped completly. Wife called the RACQ who came out, looked at the vehicle, looked at the written report from the dealer and said, if they can't fix it then I can't.

By this time the car had been sitting for about half an hour, so the wife started it and it ran ok, so drove it the last 4km home(running rough, blowing white smoke so thick you could not see out the back window). When I got home from work I phoned the dealer's service department and spoke to the mechanic who worked on the car who told me that he had swapped the primary speed sensor for the secondary speed sensor and this had most likely made the car worse as the vehicle would be running on the faulty sensor most of the time and previously would have been using this sensor as a secondary sensor. He offered to take the car back next week and swap the sensors back to the way they were for nix, as he agreed he had only made the car worse, but that it had basically proved that this sensor was the problem. All this sounds like I am bagging the dealer, but to be honest, the dealer has been very proffesional and helpful during this whole process.

I will post an update with the outcome and total cost of this repair once the vehicle is fixed.
    2002 3.2 Did Gls

Comment

Hi mundi, unusual problem but it sounds like the dealer is doing the right thing by you. I hope it's a short month wait and it finally gets fixed.
      Sandgroper.
      PS:The white smoke from a DiD sounds strange.
      NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

Comment

White smoke? I also had white smoke once from the Did. Reason was that I ran out of diesel and that it was actualy sucking air. It also ran very rough at this time due to fuel starvation. I had a faulty fuel indication at the time due to a dented diesel tank. Isn't it maybe the airflow sensor or even blocked filter? Hope they have diagnosed it correctly - Keep us updated.

CATs
        2001 Pajero NM 3.2 DiD GLS LWB Manual
        (Snoopy)Old Man Emu heavy duty suspension-now on Iron man, 265/75/16 BFG A/T tyres, ARB Sahara bar, Warn winch, KC Daylighter and Hella spots, 3 aux Batteries, ARB aircompressor, Safari Snorkel, Outback Roofrack, on board EGT and Tyre Pressure gauge. Factory rear difflock standard :-) - Sadly sold and missed dearly.
        2008 Pajero NS 3.2 DiDc GLS LWB Auto(Sylvester)-SOLD
        2009 Pajero NS 3.2 DiDc GLS LWB Auto(Casper)

Comment

It looks like the problem can be in the accelerator pedal sensor. Was a tipical issue in 2000-2002 units. When takes temperature falls and if you stop for 5 minutes works again.

Like cats4x4 say check if you has a problem with the diesel, i had dented the tank one time and the tube in the prefilter inside the tank was almost obstructed and the car wasnt able to go fast than 100kmh
          Regards,

Enric
          Barcelona, Spain
          2002 NM 3.2 Did

Comment

I originally thought it was a problem with the fuel supply as well, as the problem initially presented as a miss during overtaking at highway speeds. I changed the fuel filter (not the tank filter) and air filter and had the pump and injectors checked out, no problems with these and still had the issue. The Pajero will run flawlessly for about 5-10 minutes without a problem when cool and will accelerate normally to highway speeds. At least it did until the dealer swapped the primary sensor for the secondary, now it runs poorly all the time.

The Dealer did say that the speed sensor controls the fuel supply and so maybe the vehicle is simply running too lean when the sensor starts sending the wrong signal and this is causing the miss and white smoke. Of course I am no expert in this and am relying on what the dealer is telling me.

Fortunately I live in a rural area, as when I test drove the car yesterday the car decided to hold around 80km/h without me touching the accelerator, when I did depress the accelerator the car simply stalled. Needless to say I drove it straight home again very carefully after letting it cool down for five minutes.

I will post again on Tuesday night after the dealer swaps the sensors back to their original positions for me. At least this might make the car drivable again until the new part arrives.
            2002 3.2 Did Gls

Comment

Mundi,
              I had the rough idle and HUGE amounts of white smoke about 6 months ago after restarting 2002 DiD after long uphill climb. No accelerator response except for engine dying, thought I had blown the turbo.
              Re started after 5 minutes - no problem. Had vehicle checked, used this forum, spoke to dealers (they said they had never heard of it before, then another chap in the waiting room said he had same problem)...never did get to the bottom of it.
              Has not happened since - still a mystery. Stick with it, I would be very interested in outcome

Comment

Dealer had the pajero again this morning to swap back the sensors, this work was performed at no cost to me. The car is running again with just the rough idle and miss at highway speeds, so it is at least drivable until the new part arrives. The dealer also said that they were working on the fuel pump of another diesel pajero and took the opportunity to borrow the speed sensors from the other vehicle to try in mine and this cured the problem. Pity they didn't leave them in! They still haven't been able to give me an eta for the new sensor, so I am not sure when this saga will be over.

I found it interesting to notice that they had actually washed the car as well, and done a fairly good job of it, so they must be trying to look after me as much as they can since they haven't actually fixed the car yet.
                2002 3.2 Did Gls

Comment

The dealer called on Monday to tell us he had located a couple of speed sensors and would be able to fit them on Wedensday, so we booked the car in. My wife picked the car up this afternoon after the job was completed and tells me it's running normally again now. Now the bad news. The supply and fitment of these two sensors along with road testing and computer analysis cost another $642.90. This was after being told the sensors were $130 each and to allow an "hour or so" to fit. The $642.90 seems a little steep, especially given that the bill for the initial diagnostic visit was $45, and the next diagnostic visit when they made the car worse was $495. This little episode to diagnose and replace the faulty sensors has therefore cost me $1182.90..

Also, just for accuracy, I have since found out that white smoke is caused by retarded timing, low compression or very cold running. [Thanks Muzza]. Obviously my problem was retarded timing from the faulty sensor. If anyone is interested, Muzza gives a short description on this in the thread named "Fuel Problems".

Overall I am just happy to have the vehicle back and running how it should and am keen to give it a try out on the weekend.
                  2002 3.2 Did Gls

Comment

I don't suppose (and its a very long shot considering the age of this thread) that anyone has the part number for the sensors?

Comment

Tom,
                      The part number is ME203180.
                      http://gzhaoxiang.en.alibaba.com/pro..._ME203180.html
                      1 is easy to get out and the 2nd one is in a pig of a spot.....
                      Cheers, Dan.
                      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Thanks Dan.

Comment

I dont off hand, but i could find an invoice from when i fitted a couple to a pajero a before christmas, ill see if i can find it, i think all up including my time cost him about $450, that was omce btw (sorry)

2003 Silver NP DiD Exceed Auto, MMA alloy bullbar, GME TX3440 UHF, 2DIN GPS unit w/ Reverse Camera, DBS w/ RedArc SmartStart w/ overide, 82AH AGM & HD 20A Sockets in rear for WAECO 60LTR, ARB on board Air Compressor, RedArc Remote Head Brake controller, 2" HD/F, SD/R Lovells & OzTech shocks with Firestone Coil-Rites, 265/70R16 Pirelli Scorpion AT's, ProRack Crossbars & Awning

2012 Black ASV50 Toyota Camry Atara SL

2006 Jayco Destiny 16.51-1

Comment

Lol didnt see the above thread

2003 Silver NP DiD Exceed Auto, MMA alloy bullbar, GME TX3440 UHF, 2DIN GPS unit w/ Reverse Camera, DBS w/ RedArc SmartStart w/ overide, 82AH AGM & HD 20A Sockets in rear for WAECO 60LTR, ARB on board Air Compressor, RedArc Remote Head Brake controller, 2" HD/F, SD/R Lovells & OzTech shocks with Firestone Coil-Rites, 265/70R16 Pirelli Scorpion AT's, ProRack Crossbars & Awning

2012 Black ASV50 Toyota Camry Atara SL

2006 Jayco Destiny 16.51-1

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X