Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic transmission filter type

Hey guys,

I posted on here a little while ago, but didn't get any replies. Hopefully someone can help me.

I am looking at replacing the transmission fluid and filter but am unsure which filter I need.
    I know that for the nm pajero the type of filter used changed in November 2000. However, my car was manufactured 11/2000, so I have no idea which filter I need.

there are 2 different transmissions from what I can find: v5a51 or r4a51 .

Is this going to be stamped on the car somewhere? Is there anyway to find out? I was going to order it through Mitsubishi, but the wait time is 3months apparently
    12/2000 pajero nm glx 3.5L petrol, 5 speed automatic.

I would have thought it is stamped on the aluminium plate under the bonnet. On my NX it is fixed to the firewall on the drivers side.
    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent catch can, Boos bash plates, Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, fridge slide, kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, Auto-mate, ultragauge, more to come...

Comment

The V5A51 was introduced in the NM. The transmission code is stamped on a metal plate, see pics below. On NM im not sure where it is but could be either on firewall or underside of bonnet.
      2008 NS X SWB DiD auto in cool silver, Pirelli Scorpion ATR's, MCC bull bar with Stedi Summit fog/DRL's, Airtec(TJM) snorkel.

Previously
      88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
      99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit

Comment

Thanks Guys. I don't actually have the car with me right now, so will have to check tomorrow.
        I have a picture of the VIN plate and there is nothing on there, but hopefully there is another plate which will have something on it.
        Cheers, Richard

Comment

Put your VIN into partsouq for part number.
          Catalog Mitsubishi | Genuine Parts Catalogs | PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World

Comment

Hey Bruce and Bobbi,
            I tried that earlier but couldn't find any way of determining which transmission or filter I would need....

Comment

I went to price a filter for son's ML Triton. 4 speed version of same transmission as NM/P. Was told not stocked because they are not a service item. Only a screen, not a true filter. And about $300 (trade price, not even retail)!
              PCOV Member 1107.
              Daily driver NX GLX
              Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
              Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
              Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

The V at the beginning denotes Drive type. V is 4wd, R is Rwd. The 4 or 5 or 6 or 8 refers to the amount of ratios available
                White 2018 MQ Triton Sportsbar Nudge Bar Towbar EDS

Comment

Originally posted by pharb View Post
                  I went to price a filter for son's ML Triton. 4 speed version of same transmission as NM/P. Was told not stocked because they are not a service item. Only a screen, not a true filter. And about $300 (trade price, not even retail)!
                  I just checked out our NP auto on partsouq and I couldn’t even find a reference to the auto filter in any of the diagrams!

Could be just a screen, but I really couldn’t find any thing that resembled a mesh either

Cheers

Bennie
                  2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

I just tried through all the diagrams on partsouq and couldn't find any reference either....

I also looked under the bonnet and firewall and couldn't find the transmission number anywhere (I found the vin plate and compliance plate but neither has the transmission details).

DibbydibbyDJ- what do you mean by the 'ratios' available? I might be able to work it out from this?

Comment

Originally posted by Richyd View Post
                      DibbydibbyDJ- what do you mean by the 'ratios' available? I might be able to work it out from this?
                      V5A51: V = 4wd, 5 = 5 speed.
                      R4A51: R = rwd, 4 = 4 speed.

If your transmission is a 5 speed, you don't have the R4A51.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Thanks NJ!
                        I assumed that was the case, but thought it would be good to clarify. That means pajeros prior to 11/2000 were 4 speed and rear wheel drive? ??

Comment

I’d be curious to what condition you find the trans filter/strainer when you remove. Everyone I’ve seen look like new with limited debris stuck in mesh. Replacement of the fluid is most important but strainer only catch’s small particles if trans has serious internal issues. By that time you would need more than a filter & fluid change.

jim

Comment

Originally posted by Richyd View Post
                            Thanks NJ!
                            I assumed that was the case, but thought it would be good to clarify. That means pajeros prior to 11/2000 were 4 speed and rear wheel drive? ??
                            Not in Australia. Four speed, yes, but rear wheel drive, no. I have no idea why it would list R4A51 transmission.

However, yesterday was oil & filter change for my NT. While googling for prices, one of the major retailers (that asks for your rego, then highlights what fits) offered me a transmission filter kit for a V5A51 (Jatco transmission) - I have the V5AWF (Aisin transmission - three of them, actually ), so don't believe everything you read on these sites.
                            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Thanks NJ! Although hearing that makes me worry that I may have just ordered the wrong filter anyway :/

Just out of interest, when you installed the transmission pan back on- did you just use the gasket or did you also use sealant? If you used sealant, what type did you use??

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X