Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate help needed

NM V6

Hi Folks, you may remember that I had a post recently re a NM V6 that wouldn't run . So, I am starting a new thread :

I suspected the spark plugs, which were old, and have replaced them with new ones . No difference.

HOWEVER :

I have since put an induction timing light on all the plug leads, and only get a flash on the lead that goes to the front drivers side plug (Call it Home ) !! All the rest : nothing !!

Now, is it possible that all other coils fail at the same time ??

Secondly, I rigged up the OBD port as per: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCn3wh6gqwc

but don't get flashes in the AWD area, but do get continuous 1/2 second flashes via the engine check light ( which to my research, indicates no faults ?? ) and the immobiliser gives me codes 21. 22 and 23 Acc. pedal location , CPS, and CKS

Can both fail at the same time ??

HOWVER : when Home cyl comes around, it attempts to fire .............

I am at my wits end ....... ready to chuck a match into the tank .................

Sounds stupid, but check that the 4 way flashers work properly. If the fuse blows, all sorts of funny stuff happens.

I suspect the high tension leads are stuffed. When you pull them off to get to the spark plugs, if they sre old they probably won't survive. Connecting the HT lead to "home" will only flash the " home" lead. The other HT lead fron that coil should be good and fire at the same time as the "home" lead.

You can check the coils for resistance in the primary circuit and compare the 3 coils. Then swap them around and if you only get a flash from the " good" coil, then it is likely that the others are stuffed. I reckon this is most unlikely though.

Comment

Sounds stupid, but check that the 4 way flashers work properly. If the fuse blows, all sorts of funny stuff happens.
      OK., I'll give that a go tomorrow

The other HT lead from that coil should be good and fire at the same time as the "home" lead.
      Nup, only one lead flashes the Home lead all others are dead ...............

I might try swapping coils and see what happens ..........

Comment

So that would be throttle position sensor, crank sensor and cam sensor from the fault codes, that correct? If so it's very weird they would all go at the same time. I'm wondering if something else is causing the issue. Common earth or power for all sensors maybe?

Comment

So that would be throttle position sensor, crank sensor and cam sensor from the fault codes,
          Yep. BUT, if the CKS or the CPS failed, I wouldn't get a spark ?? !!

Now, I wonder if this had anything to do with the problem :

A few days earlier I left the ignition on inadvertently overnight. Flattened the battery of course, but I wonder if the coils were affected by this ??

Comment

OK., tested the primary circuit on each coil, and they all showed 1.3 ohms , whereas the standard value is supposed to be .74 to .9 ohms

Methinks this is too high ??

Couldn't get the probes into the coils to test the secondary circuit.

BTW, flashers work fine ...............

Comment

So from that drivers side coil, you are only getting spark from one of the leads, the other lead attached to the same coil is not sparking-that correct?

If that's the case, did you try swapping the lead that did spark into the other plug on the drivers side coil to see if you had spark on the same lead or alternatively on the same coil plug? Would at least narrow down leads being part of the issue or the coils

It just doesn't seem logical that 2 coils would completely die at the same time, and the 3rd coil would have a connection break inside to only 1 of the plugs in it also at the same time. I guess stranger things have happened, but along with the codes indicating engine and throttle position makes me think something else was happening. Depends on swapping leads around on that drivers coil

What about the ignition transistor pack? Can't recall details right now, but I'm sure pouring over the wiring diagram would show connections between crank and cam sensors to that and the ecu. Or that is just completely blown. Ignition left on overnight might have effected that, I'm not sure myself

Comment

So from that drivers side coil, you are only getting spark from one of the leads, the other lead attached to the same coil is not sparking-that correct?
                yep, that's right

If that's the case, did you try swapping the lead that did spark into the other plug on the drivers side coil to see if you had spark on the same lead or alternatively on the same coil plug?
                I haven't tried that yet. I think it is "wasted spark " ignition, so I guess it wouldn't matter if the leads were swapped

What about the ignition transistor pack?
                It's a new module, that was my first thought. I also tried with the old module , no difference.....................

This has got me so frustrated, thank goodness it's not my regular car

Comment

Check the low voltage connections to the coils. You should be getting a spark from each of the coils once every revolution of the crankshaft. Something sounds screwy with your system - probably high tension leads stuffed, and only the "normal" HT lead actually working. When you get a spark from one end of the coil you should get an equal spark from the other end as well. If the low voltage connections are dirty or broken, you won't get any spark because each coil's power transistor will not fire, but this is very rare to be like this.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X