Rear CV joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear CV joints

Does anyone know if replacement CV's for the rear exist? Had a bit of a look around and you can get the front's but can't find any for the rear. My driverside is getting quite noisy

You can get exchange shafts but I was unable to find the joints. I put a set of second hand shafts in.
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Have you got any details on who does the exchange shafts?
      Thanks.

Comment

Some mob in Queensland. I found them through my local Bursons after giving up on web searches. From memory the quote was around $1k per side. I ended up paying $400 delivered for a pair from a (suposedly) low k wreck.

Comment

1K per side sounds awfully expensive, was that outright or changeover. Shouldn't be any more than around $200 for just the joint. Is there something special about the rears?

Comment

changeover for complete shafts. The joints were unavailable on their own. This was aftermarket trade price through Bursons. From memory the supplier would have been Driveline Australia - I didnt dare ask Mitsu.

Comment

I replaced my front Cv at xmas last year. Cost about $300 for a reco job from bowers suspensions in Newcastle. They said that a reco rear is available as well. They are pretty easy to replace as well.

John
              Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Comment

maybe I need to ring a few more places but so far I've been told there is no aftermarket rear CV available as there is no market for them, as in they rarely fail.

Genuine Mitsubishi is $686 + tax for the outer part number MR528651 the inner is $529 + tax part number MR 528649, the left and right are the same.

It looks like they come as a complete joint and shaft already assembled with boot and grease.

Haven't taken mine out yet but I imagine it's the outer that has worn as this seems the norm for front CV's.

Comment

Are they clicking? Could actually be worn splines in the (outer) hubs. I have heard of a few doing this, & slipping the shaft out of the hub and applying a little grease is supposed to quieten them down a bit. Easy to do - just pop the centre cap on the hub, undo the locknut and slide the shaft out from the rear.

Pat

Comment

Yes the drivers side is clicking under load when taking off forwards or backwards. I might try what you suggest first though.
                    To remove it from the rear do you just unbolt the shaft at the companion shaft and drop it there.
                    Last edited by brett; 20-11-07, 07:09 AM. Reason: update

Comment

For the outer you remove the wheel, the hub dust cap and remove a large (24 or 26 mm I think locknut) and then the shaft will slide from the hub. For the inner, yes you unbolt the CV from the companion shaft flange. You might have enough movement in the shaft joints to not have to split the companion shaft though - particularly if the suspension is at full droop.

Pat

Comment

Just reading through the posts and I see quite a few have replace rear joints, I'm wondering what k's on the clock and as the vehicle been modified to create excess wear, Ie changing operating angles by lifting a long way.
                        Thanks
                        Muzza
                        Muzza
                        2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
                        2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
                        2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

Haynes Manual?

Originally posted by psproule View Post
                          For the outer you remove the wheel, the hub dust cap and remove a large (24 or 26 mm I think locknut) and then the shaft will slide from the hub. For the inner, yes you unbolt the CV from the companion shaft flange. You might have enough movement in the shaft joints to not have to split the companion shaft though - particularly if the suspension is at full droop.

Pat
                          I take it this kinda procedure will be in the Haynes/Workshop manual? I have never attempted any kind of maintenance on the Paj (only ever maintained motorbikes) and wanted to have a crack at regreasing the splines.....bad idea to have a crack at it? I dont even know what a spline is...get the picture about my mechanical incompetence :-)

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Muzza View Post
                            Just reading through the posts and I see quite a few have replace rear joints, I'm wondering what k's on the clock and as the vehicle been modified to create excess wear, Ie changing operating angles by lifting a long way.
                            Thanks
                            Muzza
                            it certainly doesn,t help the cv,s and rubber boots when the vehicle has suspension lift mods, there is alot more wear and tear accociated with this.
                            NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

Originally posted by dolphin View Post
                              it certainly doesn,t help the cv,s and rubber boots when the vehicle has suspension lift mods, there is alot more wear and tear accociated with this.
                              2 inches of lift which is what most have done to their paj's, is not near enough to take them out of their operating range. The CVs on the paj's are stouter/bigger than most other rigs its size.
                              03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X