MN Auto lockup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MN Auto lockup

My NM DiD auto unlocks the torque converter very easily. If travelling at 100kph it seems to spend more time unlocked than locked. This must cause unnecessary fuel consumption and transmission heat. Has anyone found a "fix" that moves the lockup point down a bit.

Starman

2002 NM DiD Auto, dual battery, fridge, cargo shelf and barrier combo.

are you towing anything at the time.

I have done a bit of research into the auto tranny. Small things can effect it's reliability and performance:-
    - Old tranny oil
    - too little too much tranny oil
    - incorrect tranny oil - this is a big one, if you get it serviced through ultra tune or other non MMA places, then chances are that they used the wrong oil, which will give you untold problems.
    - overheated tranny - which will effect the viscosity and quality of the oil.

I was driving down he Hume from Sydney the other week towing my camper trailer and found it bloody frustrating that the Torque converter would unlock at the slightest rise in terrain, I put it down to the V6 being a little underpowered for my Camper.

Hope this helps. Try looking at these points before doing anything drastic.

John
    Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Comment

John Char,
      How much does your camper weigh? I tow mine all over the place and never have a problem with the Torque converter unlocking, even on Fraser in sand. Don't think that genarally the power of the 3.5 is a problem.
      Cheers, John.
      LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
      Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

The camper weighs over a 1000kg. I found it annoying that when you go up a slight incline, then the revs drop back 500rpm when generally I would expect the torque to kick in and keep the speed as is.
        Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Comment

That's a bit heavier than mine. Might be time to put it on a dyno and see what gives....
          Cheers, John.
          LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
          Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Torque converter lockup

John,
            Not towing anything, car has 135,000 on clock and is in good condition.
            I had the transmission serviced at Mitsubishi dearler about 4 months ago
            No transmision problems that I am aware of
            It just seems to be a design characteristic that fails to take advantage of the torque of the DiD.

Rgds
            Starman

Comment

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
              That's a bit heavier than mine. Might be time to put it on a dyno and see what gives....
              You would be surprised at how much a fully loaded CT will weigh...

Comment

Originally posted by Starman View Post
                I had the transmission serviced at Mitsubishi dearler about 4 months ago
                If the problems started to occur after the service there is your problem...

Run the vehicle around - get it warmed up and follow the user manual to check the auto fluid level.

The ATF should NOT have a burn smell and the oil SHOULD be light red.

Remember MM service do not always use MM oil or even do the service -
                (eg: MM may forget to replace oil, replace oil/fuel filters, grease nipples, etc - but you still pay for it!)
                --
                Marquis
                SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X