Jerry Can Holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Can Holder

Has anyone attached a jerry can holder to their spare wheel?
    I made some inquiries to Mits about the extra weight hanging off the spare wheel/door hinge & so on, & would it be strong enough to handle all conditions of traveling?They told me that it was more than strong enough to accommodate this & it would not effect my warranty in any way.
    Has this caused any problems to the door by adding this????

& thanks Gary
    Last edited by Garygls; 13-11-07, 09:53 PM.
    Dual Battery
    80Ltr Waeco
    91Ltr Longrange Tank
    3" Lovells/Bilstein
    3” Exhaust
    Winch
    NP 05 DID

I don't like jerry's (been around Australia with Rodeo ute with them) - much, much better off having an 81L Aux tank (LRA), which is what I used this trip around Australia.
    --
    Marquis
    SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

I have to agree with you there Marquis, an 81L Aux tank is the best option to go with. At this point I was considering the jerry can option till the budget can afford an Aux tank. Not knowing how much the Aux fitted, guessing $1500.
      I think the jerry can & holder is a little over $100 mark.
      Just a ? what distance do you get with the 171Ltrs on board.
      Dual Battery
      80Ltr Waeco
      91Ltr Longrange Tank
      3" Lovells/Bilstein
      3” Exhaust
      Winch
      NP 05 DID

Comment

Gary,

When I was contemplating attaching items to the spare wheel of my NP I fashioned a set of bolts and was able to attach an extra spare to the rear. The extra spare weighed 27kg. So there were two spares attached to the rear door. By slight motion I was able to visibly see the skin of the door move. I decided to remove the second spare and travel with two spare tyres on the roof basket.

Admittedly the jerry can with holder and petrol will weigh less than 27kg, I estimate around 20kg, but in rough conditions I don't think it would do the door any good. Even a decent bump may affect it.

I would recommend a different solution, regardless what Mitsubishi say.

Regarding on how far you can go, it all depends on the road/terrain and a whole lot of other factors such as how much weight you are carrying and so on.
        NX Exceed

Comment

Also check the legality of having petrol in a container that protrudes beyond the normal limits of the vehicle - I recall reading somewhere that it's illegal for safety reasons in a prang. Rear-enders do happen.

Gaz
          2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

Another vote against here. I carried a spare tyre carcass only tied to the rear door mounted spare and had to adjust the door hinges 700kms into a central Aust. trip plus remove the tyre and find a new home for it on the roofrack. A jerry full of fuel would easily add 20kgs that is not designed to be way back there.
            NM GL Diesel (Tourer)
            NS Pajero (Tar Baby)

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X