Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4llc explanation

Hi there,

i have a 2003 NM Pajero that I got bogged today. The front whhels were not bogged but the rear ones were. In low range i thought that all wheels were locked and turned the same. Today the rear wheels spun madly, whereas the front ones either didn't turn at all or slower than the rears.

Once out of the bog, and towing the boat trailer out via a strap all wheels spun together. Is this normal when all wheels aren't bogged and get grip.

Can someone please explain this???

regards

Kellaig
    2011 NT Platinum, Black Mica, Full tint, Roof Racks,Tow Bar, MMA Bull bar(absolute piece of crap), Bridgestone 694LT's, dual battery system, rust in doors, lightforce 170's, Uniden UHF,rattling chamois cloth in rear door, leaking injector seal, repainted tailgate, 1990 equivalent GPS (MMCS) inaccurate odometer 5%, dual battery monitor, SPV 3.1 mod( this works), more to come

Originally posted by kellaig View Post
    Hi there,

i have a 2003 NM Pajero that I got bogged today. The front whhels were not bogged but the rear ones were. In low range i thought that all wheels were locked and turned the same. Today the rear wheels spun madly, whereas the front ones either didn't turn at all or slower than the rears.

Once out of the bog, and towing the boat trailer out via a strap all wheels spun together. Is this normal when all wheels aren't bogged and get grip.

Can someone please explain this???

regards

Kellaig
    In 4LLc your centre differential is supposed to be locked, so you should have at least one wheel turning at the front, and one at the rear. You still have open diffs front and rear, so one front and one rear spinning will immobilise the vehicle.

From your description, I suspect your transfer didn't lock the centre diff properly when you were bogged - but it's difficult to be certain.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
      ...You still have open diffs front and rear, so one front and one rear spinning will immobilise the vehicle....

Didn't all NM's in Australia come with the LSD at the rear?

Peter
      2012 NW Platinum DiD, 2" Lift, Bar & Winch, Driving Lights, Dual Battery, Snorkel.

Soon to be Ex- 2002 NM Exceed 3.2DiD, Lifted, PSI Powerbox, Bullbar, HID Driving Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by pjchris View Post
        Didn't all NM's in Australia come with the LSD at the rear?
        Yes I think so. Still one front and one rear wheel without traction, they will both spin, as it is a torsen LSD, so you need some traction for it to work.

Comment

Originally posted by jol View Post
          Yes I think so. Still one front and one rear wheel without traction, they will both spin, as it is a torsen LSD, so you need some traction for it to work.
          True, but pulling the handbrake on a couple of notches is sufficient to do that....

Peter
          2012 NW Platinum DiD, 2" Lift, Bar & Winch, Driving Lights, Dual Battery, Snorkel.

Soon to be Ex- 2002 NM Exceed 3.2DiD, Lifted, PSI Powerbox, Bullbar, HID Driving Lights.

Comment

Thanks for the info,

that's exactly what was happening. i had diagonal wheels free spinning (one on the front and the other side at the back)without traction and the others weren't turning.

Is this normal and what would putting the handbrake on do??, allow both wheels on the back to turn.

I am a novice?

regards

Kellaig
            2011 NT Platinum, Black Mica, Full tint, Roof Racks,Tow Bar, MMA Bull bar(absolute piece of crap), Bridgestone 694LT's, dual battery system, rust in doors, lightforce 170's, Uniden UHF,rattling chamois cloth in rear door, leaking injector seal, repainted tailgate, 1990 equivalent GPS (MMCS) inaccurate odometer 5%, dual battery monitor, SPV 3.1 mod( this works), more to come

Comment

Putting the handbrake on, or left foot braking (Lightly) provides some drag on the wheels that are spinning which will transfer some of the torque to the wheels that are not spinning.

With the rear having a Torson diff as long as the spinning wheel encounters some traction or resistance it will tend to lock up and transfer drive to the other wheel.

This can be enough to get out of some situations as then you have to have three out of four wheels with no grip to get stuck.

Peter

Comment

Pulling handbrake MIGHT produce enough torque on rear wheel without traction to transfer enough torque to opposite wheel to either overcame resistance force preventing vehicle from moving or start it spinning as well. If there is not enough torque transfered the wheel without traction will continue happily spinning. Diff will start to warm up. There is always some torque available on opposite wheel since Gen 3 is equipped with Hybrid LSD which is indeed hybrid of Torsen LSD and Viscous coupling. As one wheel spins viscous coupling warms up and provides some preload to torsen unit thus some torque to opposite wheel is transfered but usually not enough to overcome serious obstacle. Like crossing deep ditch for example. Handbrake might add that little extra needed or might not.
                1992 GLS Auto, 285/75R16 Yoko MT, ARB bull bar, custom rear bumper, Safari snorkel, AirLift1000, GAST compressor, ARB locker, etc
                2002 GL Auto, 285/75R16 TrXus MT for fun, 275/70R16 Scorpion ATR for life, towbar, Thomas Comrpessor

Comment

Having use it to great effect on our NM I can attest that the handbrake trick does work well with the Torsen LSD.
                  2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                  2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X