coolant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolant

when changing coolant in a nm petrol ,do you have to use mm coolant ? if so why? thanx

If topping up existing coolant, its fairly important to use the same stuff as wat went in - if a full flush of the system has been done though, you can use within reason wat ever you like

Comment

Coolant

Recommend using the MMAL coolant as have been shown, at Mitsubishi engine development dynamometer testing at Lonsdale [before closure] the adverse results of some other coolants. BUT this was on alloy heads as per Magna/380 etc. Don?t know what Pajero has. Maybe 6G74 has it right.

Comment

Pajero also has alloy heads - not many iron heads around these days. But provided a good quality ethylene-glycol coolant is used (not alcohol or methanol based) and a full flush/change is done, I don't see any problem with using something other than the MM stuff. Check to make sure that the coolant specification says suitable for protection against corrosion of alloy components of the engine. Also note that some stuff sold as 'coolant', usually the cheaper stuff, is not also an anti-freeze mix - so if you're in a cold climate, make sure you are covered for both ends of the temperature spectrum.

Gaz
        2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

1. Aluminium cylinder head - high heat transfer - use premium quality anti freeze anti boil ethylene glycol based coolant at the manufacturers recommended concentration (to avoid cavitation boiling corrosion). Mix with demin water only. Change every 2 years max.

2. Never mix coolants

3. I am currently using the MMAL coolant. Castrol Anti freeze anti boil is a brand i would be comfortable with.

cheers

Comment

Agreed although ithink the demineralised water is a bit of overkill...

Comment

Originally posted by 6G74 View Post
              Agreed although ithink the demineralised water is a bit of overkill...
              Depends what comes out of your tap .. Adelaide water TDS 450 ppm 200ppm chlorides .. good for corrosion :-)

Comment

You obviously have an interest their, definately wont hurt - but wouldnt the rust inhibitor have it covered?

Comment

If the water is crap, the rust inhibitor will be inhibited
                  Current ride. EP91 Starlet Auto
                  Missus car: 2005 Platinum DiD Auto, H/R Towbar, Rhino Sportz Aero Bars, Redarc Isolator, Elec Brake Controller. 2" Lift and LT Tyres.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Streetfighter View Post
                    If the water is crap, the rust inhibitor will be inhibited
                    LOL very funny ... but true .. the more ions dissolved in the water the more conductivity so the less effective the inhibitor ...also with lots of dissolved magnesium and calcium you have the potential to have "hard water" salts to deposit in the cooling circuit..... 6 litres of demin water is cheap insurance ... as i recall MMAL in Adelaide always used demin water in the coolant fill for the magna ..in fact the engine hot test facility used to use demin water as well :-)

Comment

Have a look at the"death by electrocution" thread in FAQ. it will answer all your questions.My NM radioator went at 95000 ks due to crap tap water, now I use nothing but the best.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X