Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens if you are stuck midway a water crossing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens if you are stuck midway a water crossing??

Hi,
    I am not keen to try this myself, so wonder what happens if let's say you drive your lovely little NP (or NS) across water, let's say 60cm (or 80cm) deep, and somehow stalled there.

1) How fast would water start seeping into the cabin? I assume the windows are fully open.

2) When the water is well and truly inside the vehicle, besides you can take a bath right in your car, what will happen :
    - which electrical parts will be seriously affected i.e. cannot be dried out and will leave the car totally stranded? both inside the cabin / engine area
    - what other damage can happen that will prevent the vehicle from continuing the journey?

3) while 60cm is the deepest to cross as per manual, how's people experience? When will you seriously need to put a snorkel and extend the diff breather etc? I assume the driver had put a tarp over the vehicle's "nose" and has sprayed on WD-40 around the engine.

My NP is petrol but the question is applicable to the diesel version as well.

Any info (incl. personal and painful experience) would be most appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Everything Eastie said....

some comments from experience:

1) extremly fast - faster than you would believe possible.

2) The lowest "at risk" electrical components in the cab are the ABS, Body and cruise control ECU's which are bolted to the top of the transmission tunnel. The engine ECU is mounted as high up as possible inside the passenger kick pannel. The engine electrics in the Mitsu's are fairly well protected. Most connectors have o-ring seals and the back of the plugs where the wires enter are often sealed. Of course as Eastie mentions if the engine ingests water you are in real strife but it has to be fairly deep to do that. Water in the diffs and transmissions is also a problem.

3) About 15cm below bonnet depth is as deep as I would take ours if I knew that there were no drop-offs or other irregularities in the track that would make me stop. Precautions would be a snorkel and a blind. Maybe diff breathers but the factory ones are fairly good.
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Everything Eastie and Psproule said.....

1. I've managed to flood the cabin in a bog hole when the floor grommets popped out on the passengers side. The water took about a minute to flood to the top of the transmission tunnel at the front and half way up the back seat through two grommet holes. The tide mark is about 2/3 up the door speakers. What a mess !!!

Last weekend we were submerged to around 840mm in a river crossing without water entry. It took several minutes and was max depth for most of the way as we had to drive upstream. We were prepared for a flooding but were surprised to have no water enter.

2. Like Pat said there are a number of ECUs to think about. Have a look for them. If they drown you will stop.

I have discovered the car drives and operates quite well with the front ECU and all but three fuses removed from the engine bay. Perhaps the ABS and transmission can also be disconnected. The main ECU would probably need some waterproofing attention but perhaps MMA have already thought of this.

3. Snorkel ? As soon as you buy the off road tyres. Borrowed time otherwise in my opinion.
      Breathers ? So far so good with the standard MMA breathers, but I keep a close eye on my oil
      Tarp/ Bra ? Iv'e had the radiator out to clear the core of mud twice in twelve months - I now have a water Bra. (Michele's Sacks) The Bra can also help prevent the radiator core being damaged by the fan propelling forward in the water. Turn off the A/C before crossing.

From experience -
      A. Have a recovery plan.
      It may be necessary to flood the car to prevent it being washed away like a boat if it stalls and cant start.

B. Keep a bucket in the back to stow all the loose personal stuff.
      Turn as much off as you can. Most things electrical can be dried out if they get wet but if they are on and get wet then they are likely to be damaged. Dont forget the fridge!

C. The plug reversal must be working. Reverse the grommets all over the car by plugging in from below.
      Cheers, Mitishi.
      NM 2001 GLS Petrol.

Comment

Hi all, thanks for the very informative replies. It is scary. My experience of water depth was only up to around half of the tyre height so it was not a problem at all.
        Best regards,

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X