Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traction Control

Hi there

i recently got a 3.8 SWB and as i do nearly all my offroading on sand I want to know how I can disable the traction control completely when offroad?

Thanks

Originally posted by VaughanS View Post
    Hi there

i recently got a 3.8 SWB and as i do nearly all my offroading on sand I want to know how I can disable the traction control completely when offroad?

Thanks
    There's a switch, just in front of the gear levers that will disable ASC which is all you need to stop your wheels being braked into a complete standstill in very soft sand. The caveat is that it switches off at over 80kph and also when you switch the engine off. My NP Di-D coped superbly in the extremely soft Simpson Desert sand last year with this deactivated. The couple of times I forgot it became very obvious that this was affecting the vehicle. Leave traction control on for all other terrain - it works very well, especially in mud!

Comment

As Wal said, the switch will turn off ASC but not ATC.

There is no way of disabling ATC without pulling the fuse. But honestly, I've never had a problem on sand after turning ASC off.
      Ąđżą aka Adam
      2004 NP Pajero
      Bullbar, Towbar, Snorkel, ARB Compressor, BFG M/T, D/Lights, TJM Bash, Dual Battery, Tait UHF, AM CB, Waeco, Lovells, Billies, Barrier

Comment

Originally posted by Adza View Post
        As Wal said, the switch will turn off ASC but not ATC.

There is no way of disabling ATC without pulling the fuse. But honestly, I've never had a problem on sand after turning ASC off.

X2

I have been in a lot of sand and with the ASC disabled and lower tire PSI I havent had any problem whatsover with the Traction control. Momentum is the key in sand.
        03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

I have found towing a 17ft van in soft sand to be a problem.When you do get stuck the vehicle just won't drive anymore.It feels like the brakes are on (the wheels wont even spin ).So i am looking to do this as well.With out the van it feels like it is unstop able:If any knows what to do here let me know as well .

Regards Mark

Comment

IMO having the TC fuse pulled will only make you get stuck more easily. You will basically be open diff front and open diff rear and will get stuck much easier. If you are bogging down towing the van then you should re-evaluate your path and choose a different one. Just my .02cents
            03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

You really don't want to disable the traction control in the sand as you don't have LSD, so there will be moe chance of getting bogged. Now wouldn't it be nicer to put in an LSD, wander if you can......
              Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Comment

If you are going to go to the trouble of putting the LSD in there why now while you have everything out just go the whole way and put a locker in the front and LSD in the rear

Comment

Diff locker would be great, you reckon you could fit the innards of an LSD diff an a NP diff? More food for thought.
                  Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Comment

It would seem great to have traction control as well as a rear LSD, but I have often wondered how would the stability control react on road with an LSD interfering at the back?
                    Last edited by pampaskat; 01-07-07, 01:44 AM.
                    2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T (with rear diff lock)
                    1999 Patrol 4.5 GRX LWB M/T

Comment

Originally posted by pampaskat View Post
                      It would seem great to have traction control as well as a rear LSD, but I have often wondered how would the stability control react on road with an LSD interfering at the back?
                      LSDs will still slip - I don't see that there would be a problem.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Hi nj swb,

What I am concerned about is that if the vehicle stability control finds it necessary to brake one of the rear wheels, the LSD will transfer some of that braking torque to the other wheel, so the stabilising effect will not be the same as what the stability control computer's behaviour map expects it to be.

I am not sure if this effect would be big enough to create problems and I am not sure what the insurance companies' view would be in the case of an accident where a vehicle with such a modification is involved...
                        2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T (with rear diff lock)
                        1999 Patrol 4.5 GRX LWB M/T

Comment

Hi all,

I only travel in sand and lots of it. The first few weeks of owning this vehicle was a nightmare in the sand. ASC when turned off would come an again around 70k or when you stop (and you always forget to switch it off again).

The biggest problem with ASC was when in soft sand and cornering, or going up a sand dune with wheels spinning it would come on, and guess what, the engine was cut and the brakes applied, no prizes for guessing what happens, your bogged.

There is a simple solution, legal and cheap, ASC only works in HIGH range, use LOW range and ASC is deactivated by Mitsubishi, Traction Control still works perfectly along withy everything else. Also if you have an Auto use it in boy racer mode and select the gears yourself as I have found it is sometimes a bit slow to change down a gear when the sand gets a bit heavy.

ASC & TC are not the same, controlled by the same computer thru the ABS brakes but do two totally different jobs.

Since using Low range I have never had a problem, one of the best vehicles I have driven in soft sand.
                          Cheers

GUY JOLLIFFE
                          2004 NP DiD Anniversary, ARB bar, Cooper HP Sport, 2x100 Narva Spots, 2x100 Hella 550 Spots, HD Mits TowBar, Mits Roof Racks, Rear Cargo Tray.

Comment

Originally posted by GUY View Post
                            Hi all,

I only travel in sand and lots of it. The first few weeks of owning this vehicle was a nightmare in the sand. ASC when turned off would come an again around 70k or when you stop (and you always forget to switch it off again).

The biggest problem with ASC was when in soft sand and cornering, or going up a sand dune with wheels spinning it would come on, and guess what, the engine was cut and the brakes applied, no prizes for guessing what happens, your bogged.

There is a simple solution, legal and cheap, ASC only works in HIGH range, use LOW range and ASC is deactivated by Mitsubishi, Traction Control still works perfectly along withy everything else. Also if you have an Auto use it in boy racer mode and select the gears yourself as I have found it is sometimes a bit slow to change down a gear when the sand gets a bit heavy.

ASC & TC are not the same, controlled by the same computer thru the ABS brakes but do two totally different jobs.

Since using Low range I have never had a problem, one of the best vehicles I have driven in soft sand.
                            By low range I assume that you are talking either 4HLC or 4LLC or do you mean LLC by itself. I crossed the Simpson in my 05 Di-D using 4 HLC with ASC turned off and it worked perfectly. I thought that you were limited in speed with LLC

Comment

Originally posted by GUY View Post
                              Hi all,

Spot on, good advise here,
                              The only other thing to add is in an auto 5th gear is locked out so speed will be limited to about 80K's, but then how fast do you want to travel in soft sand?
                              Cheers
                              Muzza
                              Muzza
                              2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
                              2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
                              2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X