Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NM Roof racks and Cargo Barrier

G'Day all,

Have just purchased a NM Paj and need to fit some roof racks and a cargo barrier and was after your experiences/ advice.

Regarding the racks, they will be used for carrying sea kayaks while around the city and in the next few months a roof top tent. Are the Mitsubihi commercial bars up to the task when mounted on the standard GLS roof brackets, and are these racks actually rebranded Rhinos? Regarding the Rhino HD option, I have heard of the riveted tracks going loose or seperating at the worst times -any experiences here?

Cargo barriers- Do you reccommend Milford or Mitsubishi?

Cheers
    Home Base Sydney, NM GLS 3.5L, LPG, Dual Batt, Milford Barrier, Rhinos, Lovells 50mm with Bilsteins.

Had the Rhino HD track system on our NM and have just fitted the tracks to our NP. Having now seen the factory hook setup I wouldn't trust them, off-road in particular. With regard to the Rhino system separating - there has only been one reported instance on the forum. The rivets are quite heavy and there are about 10 per side. When you fit them you need to hold the track down to the shape of the roof before you close the rivet off. Perhaps in the instance of the one that separated, the track wasn't held flush with the roof allowing the track to hammer up and down under load. There are many other variables such as whether it was over-loaded and the road conditions. I can tell you that the system on our NM was fine and it took a hammering on our Simpson trip being loaded to capacity and driven at speed across all the corrugated roads. They get my tick and even if the rivets did seperate they are easily replaced.

Re cargo barriers - we have one from 4WD systems. It is OK but the fitting system is a bit dicky IMHO and it is a single position barrier. You often see the milfords come up on ebay or if you ask at one of the auction houses such as Pickles you may be able to get one as they take them out of all auction vehicles.

Cheers - Pat
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

You would be pushing it to fit a rooftop tent to the NM - the roof is only rated to 100kg I think - you'd want to be a really skinny bugger sleeping by yourself in order to avoid overloading the roof with roofrack, tent and person sleeping up there.
      Ben

Comment

Originally posted by bgiddins View Post
        You would be pushing it to fit a rooftop tent to the NM - the roof is only rated to 100kg I think - you'd want to be a really skinny bugger sleeping by yourself in order to avoid overloading the roof with roofrack, tent and person sleeping up there.
        The 100KG rating is for when the vehicle is moving. I'd have no problems sleeping up there when stationary, and I'm a Larger person
        Cheers, John.
        LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
        Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Hi Ridgeback,

I have 2 seakayaks regularly on top of my NM.
          I fitted some rhino "sportz" bars, so as not to compromise height for carparks etc. They work fine with the 2 seakayaks (Greenlander 3 and Horizon 580), although the extra width of the commercial bars would give a little bit more space b/w kayaks.

Needless to say this has all been onroad / mild offroad - I took one kayak to Moreton Island.

I have explored the rooftop tent option, and remain unconvinced to this point. For starters I'd need to upgrade to commercial bars with the nuisance of the added height.

I do think the standard tracking is a little bit suss with the extra weight + drag + corrugations offroad. It would also preclude taking the seakayaks on trips which isn't attractive either (okay, so not an issue for a Simpson Crossing). But there are plenty of other trips where having the seakayak along is great.

Mine came with a Mits cargo barrier and it has been fine.

Let us know how you go.

cheers,
          NM 2002 DiD, Lovells / Bilsteins, BFG Muds / Cooper HT, GME TX 4400, TJM Bashplate, Hella 2000

Comment

There was quite a lot of discussion on the old forum a few years ago regarding failure of the Hooks in the roof of the NM Pajeros. My own experience with the H/Duty Rhino Bars (3) on my NM has been good. Been on for 6 years and 70 000kms, done plently of offroad driving with no concerns, but I am very mindful to keep the weight down to about 60kg where ever possilble.

I have a Mitsubishi Genuine cargo barrier in the NM, but would prefer to have one without the perspex window if I had the opportunity again. It was in the car when I purchased it secondhand a 30 000kms. I believe the Genuine ones all had the perspex window, and made by Milford. Dont know if they have a Milford branded one available without the window. Window is easily scratched/marked and suspectable to glare from other vehicles headlamps.
            NM GL Diesel (Tourer)
            NS Pajero (Tar Baby)

Comment

I've got a Milford barrier and am very happy with it - it's full mesh.

The plastic covers for the child restraint belts tend to break though - they're only cosmetic anyway. I've finally solved some incessant squeaking by applying silastic underneath the plastic bushes on the mounting arms - I put up with squeaks for almost 2 years before thinking maybe some silicone would help - it did.

Easy to reposition when the middle row seats are folded forward - takes about 10 minutes or less with a spanner and ratchet/socket to move it for extra storage space.
              Ben

Comment

Originally posted by 2800ITDNM View Post
                There was quite a lot of discussion on the old forum a few years ago regarding failure of the Hooks in the roof of the NM Pajeros
                and NPs. Been there, done that, will never use the hooks again.

One hook replaced under warranty. Another is loose.
                Peter
                2018 QE Pajero Sport Exceed.

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.

Comment

Cheers everyone. Sounds like Rhino HD bars with track mounted system is the way to go! I take it you coat the underside of the track with some non corrosive sealant like Silastic 3145? Also are the rivets that come with the kit, are they self sealing / completely aluminium types?

Good point gbrought- I didnt even think of car park clearances! Seems like a standard NM with the Rhinos should clear the 2m at most car parks. (?!)

Decision made with the barrier- the Milford seem the obvious choice.

mrbitchi- Do you just clamp your roof top tent across two bars? So over time there has been no issues with the rack track loosening up or the roof itself being damaged due to the tent or other items secured to the racks?

Thanks again to all!
                  Home Base Sydney, NM GLS 3.5L, LPG, Dual Batt, Milford Barrier, Rhinos, Lovells 50mm with Bilsteins.

Comment

Also bgiddins, the plastic components which crack that you are reffering to, I take it they serve no purpose other than filling the hole in the barrier when the kiddy seat is not used?

Comment

Originally posted by Ridgeback View Post
                      Cheers everyone. Sounds like Rhino HD bars with track mounted system is the way to go! I take it you coat the underside of the track with some non corrosive sealant like Silastic 3145? Also are the rivets that come with the kit, are they self sealing / completely aluminium types?

Thanks again to all!
                      We mounted the tracks ourselves on our NP (kept the bars from the NM). The track is aluminium, yes you use a sealant, rivets are as you describe, and quite large. Had trouble finding a rivet gun with enough leverage. Scariest part is drilling holes in the roof.

Cheers - Pat
                      2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                      2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Originally posted by Ridgeback View Post
                        Also bgiddins, the plastic components which crack that you are reffering to, I take it they serve no purpose other than filling the hole in the barrier when the kiddy seat is not used?
                        Yep - they're just a cover for the approx 2" x 3" holes for child restraint belts. About the size of a business card - the little plastic latch that keeps the cover in place has lost it's tension and the cover just sticks out at an angle. One day I'll just rip them off and you wouldn't even know that they had been there to look at it.

There's far bigger gaps around the edge of the cargo barrier than these create.
                        Ben

Comment

I just got the Rola trackmounts with dual-crossbars (100kg rating) - this was about $80 cheaper than the same specked Rhinos.

I supplemented with an 1800x1160mm Rhino steel mesh basket (x-bars are 1300mm apart).

Apart from a fair bit of wind noise through the basket, I am pretty happy thus far with the setup.

Just drove down to the south-west WA from Perth with a FULL car (dual engels) + basket + towing a (Kimberley) camper and the Paj performed brilliantly (ran mostly on LPG for the hwy work). Had the rear seats up top, along with step ladder, portacot, highchair, compressor, backpack, tripod BBQ, and some other odds & sods (I reckon around the 60kg mark all up) and I couldn't be happier.

Rola tracks & bars - $420 (fitted)
                          Rhino basket - $400 + $30 for rola U bolts
                          Tarp & trailor net (1500x900) from supercheap - $45

Edit.
                          Oh and its a piece of cake to remove/install basket on your own (one of my initial concerns)...
                          Pajero NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto DiD
                          Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
                          Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar

Comment

Milford dual position cargo barrier is great too - 4 mounting points makes it a 5 minute job to remove and pop the rear seats in, same for the reverse. Got small flaps cut-out for feeding in child seat safety harnesses through as well, which is useful.
                            Pajero NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto DiD
                            Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
                            Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar

Comment

Just ordered the Rhino 2 bar track mount and milford barrier. Will install the roof racks myself however the Milford from what I understand needs some sizeable holes and mucking about so will have to think about that one. Any thoughts?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X