Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NM Dual battery

Hi again,

Would be keen to hear experiences/recommendations for dual battery system components on the NM 3.5. At this stage I am considering the TJM tray & a Redarc isolator with a aux battery that has cranking ability as well as deep cycle properties. It does seem as if there may be semi deep cycle batteries out there that work and last but which ones?

Cheers
    Home Base Sydney, NM GLS 3.5L, LPG, Dual Batt, Milford Barrier, Rhinos, Lovells 50mm with Bilsteins.

I used a Piranha tray and a Redarc controller with a Trojan deep cycle battery. The tray mounts where the charcoal canister is (move that to the other side near the brake booster) but can only accept a 10" battery. The Air con pipes need a little persuasion to get out of the way to fit the tray..
    Seriously suggest you look at putting your cranking battery in the new tray. That lets you put a much larger axucillary in the normal tray.
    Type of battery is really irrelevant. You'll hear all sorts of arguments about one type being better than others, cranking versus deep cycle versus AGM.... A deep cycle is basically an over engineered cranking battery. An AGM gives the best capacity for it's size but they're bloody expensive.. For mine a normal cranking battery is the best value for money; just don't flatten it too often. The only reason I have a deep cycle is the sparkie I used had one in the shop that was for a canceled order and he let me have it for half price. It's now over 4.5 years old and I'll be replacing it before my next big trip in mid year.

Any deep cycle battery is capable of starting your car. Just make sure when you install it you use appropriate grade cables.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

I agree with mrbitchi here is a shot of my setup.

I ut the cranker in the new battery tray and put the biggest Deep cycle I could in the original spot. I am running in car PC, touch screen, UHF, DVD player etc etc so wanted lots of storage in the deep cycle, from memory 110 Amp/hr.
      Last edited by IT Doctor; 31-01-08, 10:52 PM.

Comment

The deep cycle I used is a Trojan SCS150, 100AH in a 10 inch battery, fitted in the auxcillary tray. Best bang for size available in a deep cycle wet cell.
        Cheers, John.
        LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
        Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

How many hours/days would you get out of your battery with a 40lt Engel running at about 0 deg? without starting the engine?
          3.5 NM Exceed, 265/75/16 Bridgestone D694LT & 285/75/16 MIckey Thompson MTZ on Patrol Alloy, Piranha Dual Battery System, ARB Dual Battery Tray, Alloy B/Bar, 240 Lightforce D/Lights, TX 3400 UHF, Milford Barrier, 40lt Engel, Black Widow Slide, Poly Airs, Brown Davis bash plate, Windcheater Roof Rack, 2" lift King Springs, 300watt inverter, Redback Extractors

Comment

I get approx 3 days out of my 105 A/H deep cycle running the waeco 50 litre @ 0 degrees.
            Though this can be reduced to 2 days if the fridge is constantly being opened (got to factor in the beers on that camping trip), and high ambient temperatures.
            UPGRADING FROM THE NH TO AN NP EXCEED

anyone want an NH? - 2" suspension lift, King springs, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, 27.5mm Rockcrawler Torsion Bars, 265/70 R 16" BF Goodridge All-Terrains, CIBIE Super Oscar 100 watt, UNIDEN UHF / scanner, Dual Battery, 140L Longrange fuel tank
            $6500

Comment

Originally posted by Pagey View Post
              How many hours/days would you get out of your battery with a 40lt Engel running at about 0 deg? without starting the engine?
              More than a day.. After that? Don't know.. Never still that long
              Cheers, John.
              LC200 V8 goodness

Comment

Cool. How about the ARB trays, they are supposed to be a stepped in line arrangement that takes a 10" and 12" battery whilst leaving the charcoal canister in place-but what about the cruise control pump?
                Home Base Sydney, NM GLS 3.5L, LPG, Dual Batt, Milford Barrier, Rhinos, Lovells 50mm with Bilsteins.

Comment

Could be wrong but don't think the ARB in line tray will fit in the petrol models, only the diesels.

Looks like I'm wrong....
                  Have a look at the thread " Second battery mount"
                  Last edited by mrbitchi; 14-02-08, 08:38 AM.
                  Cheers, John.
                  LC200 V8 goodness

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X