Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traction control is deadly

Hi

I really need to know how to permenantly or temporarily disable my traction control on my NP auto diesel, today was the 3rd occassion on which it has nearly caused a serious accident, can anyone please let me know if it can be done.
    Cheers Glenn
    NP Exceed 2005 3.2 diesel automatic , 100% stock standard except for the headlight globes

Hi Glen! I can't answer your question.
    However, can you tell us how it nearly caused a serious acciedent for curiosity?

Comment

The only time I've had problems with trac control is when I've pulled out (without enough room - yep, my fault) and tried to gas it and the back end broke free (DiD's have tons of grunt) and the trac control slows me down.
      I was pulling a caravan (around 2+ tonnes) through the Blue Mountains in Sydney a few months ago. Everything was fine until I hit a corner that was covered in slime from gum trees (cause the sun hadn't dried it I guess). Wasn't going too fast (around 50kph) but it was enough to make the car and van start to slide across the road. I can tell you, the trac control cut in and kept every thing straight and got us safely around the corner. I say thanks Mr Mitsu for designing such a great system . It really works. Personally, I wouldn't disable it (although to do so should only take a fuse removal).
      It may also cause insurance or legal issues if after a prang, its found disabled. Just my 2c worth.
      NS Exceed DiD auto, Mousebar, Headlights and Cibie Oscars with HID bulbs

Comment

Hi Boofenlpaj
        On all 3 occassions its been when facing uphill and pulling out of a side street where loose gravel debris accumulates, except for last night it was pulling out of the driving range driveway in loose gravel onto a busy road, the rear wheels spin and the car moves 20 feet the the TC cuts the power to the wheels and yr stranded.......It may only be for 1 or 2 seconds but it feels like an eternity with the traffic bearing down on you.

Cheers Glenn
        NP Exceed 2005 3.2 diesel automatic , 100% stock standard except for the headlight globes

Comment

Hi Glenn,

Were you in 4WD Hi? If not, maybe this would alleviate the tendency for the torque of the DID to break traction at the rear wheels. Would disengaging the traction control inhibit stability control operation?

Also I think Futsal1st may be referring to stability control intervention, not traction control.

Just my thoughts.

Christian
          Pajero MY05 Exceed, DVD / (infamous) Sat Nav, Petrol / Injected LPG, alloy bull bar, Blue Tongue compressor, Pirahna dual battery system, Cibie Oscar SC driving lights, UHF, Next G car kit, Waeco FF40, set Cooper ST's, cargo barrier and polyairs.

Comment

Originally posted by linou View Post
            Also I think Futsal1st may be referring to stability control intervention, not traction control.
            Correct, but IMO its all part of the same system. The brakes are used to control the car with stability control and trac control. The switch next to the seat heaters disables it for a while (I think up to 80kph from memory).
            I've the same issue as you describe, you need to gas it, the wheels spin (usually when in 2 wheel drive) and the trac control hits the brakes to control it. I've just learned to give more room or use all wheel drive when in a hurry. Its probably not what you want to hear but thats what Ive done.
            Cheers. Happy touring and you've picked a good car
            NS Exceed DiD auto, Mousebar, Headlights and Cibie Oscars with HID bulbs

Comment

Hi Christian

I was in RWD (or zero wheel drive as it turned out)only as it was dry, I think the stability control applies the brakes and the Trac control misfires the engine so they are different systems but I,m sure someone will correct me on that one.

Cheers

Comment

"Computa says no"

Must admit it frustrates me somtimes, either doing the trick you mentioned (which is the traction control) or when trying to control a little oversteer on dirt (stability control). In both instances it reduces throttle input to almost zero. One of the magazine writers wrote a passage on how they were chosen as one of the test drivers from MMAL when they were developing or tuning the system. It talked about how they erred on the conservative side following a spirited drive up a mountain or some such where they managed to make the Japanese engineer sick.

But on the other hand it generally seems to do it's job of protecting it's occupants well. If it cuts in due to wheelspin you have to lift your foot for a moment before it will give it back. In 4H / LC etc it will keep the throttle open (mostly) but brake the spinning wheel(s). Since it reacts quicker than you can it sort of makes you feel like you can't drive. Learn to live with it I guess.

Pat
                2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

I had an NP Did Auto with full ASC and TC and never once did I feel it cut in inappropriately.

I now have the NS DiD Auto and it the end of my street it regularly cuts power as i turn left because there is bit of a dip. The NS suspension is much firmer than the NP and this seems to help it lose traction more often.

This is caused by ASC (which can be switched off), not TC (which cannot be switched off), as it doesn't happen if I switch ASC off. Watching the dash lights also makes it clear it's ASC.

I have also been stranded after turning onto a road from a driveway because the surface was irregular.

Maybe the Pajero Club needs to make a "Class Complaint" against Mitsubishi that the sensitivity of ATC at low speeds is a safety hazard.
                  Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

My opinion is that the traction control in 2H is boarder line dangerous. I have also had it cut in especially when pulling out of a sandy/gravel road onto bitumen. I always though the idea of traction control was to stop the spin but to almost stop the car in the process does not make any sense. I have since learnt that if it looks a bit slippery I always engage 4H which you should not have to do. I wish I could turn it off sometimes. It does not really contribute to the safety of the car in its current form.

Comment

Mike Did and CJB

I think you guys are on the money and if the NS TC is more intrusive than the NP then i,m sure it will result in a major accident or fatality. I,ll never buy another car without switchable TC again.

Cheers Glenn

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X