"Pinging" noise in NP DiD under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Pinging" noise in NP DiD under load

I've recently noticed a noise that is similar to pinging in a petrol engine when my NP DiD auto with 40k is put under a bit of stress (auto in Drive prior to kicking down, up a moderate hill, towing about a tonne). Really noticable when in a cutting or other sound-reflecting place.

I recall a thread in the old forum on this topic but can't remember the conclusion as at the time it wasn't relevant

Adrian

What oil are you using?
    --
    Marquis
    SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

Adrian, as far as I know there was no conclusion. I first noticed mine doing it at about 40K, towing up steep hills. I've now donew 120K and it seems the noise has stopped or reduced considerably. Never worked out what it was.

Comment

Marquis, whatever oil Mitsubishi use during the service. I'll point it out to them at the 45k service just to get it on the record in case there is an issue later and see what they say. I suspect that if I suggest a different oil then they'll simply come back with "MMC specify xw-10 and anything else will void the warranty etc etc"

Brett, thanks for the reply. I found the same thread on ExplorOz, with the same conclusion.

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianLR View Post
          I suspect that if I suggest a different oil then they'll simply come back with "MMC specify xw-10 and anything else will void the warranty etc etc"
          Load of crap - refer to the car's manual:

15W-40 CD or higher
          If they are using anything else they can be taken to task about it.

This was the only thing pointed out to me by an MM email - I asking some questions about the type of oil. If it meets it, got a receipt to prove it - your ok.

(I do not recommend anything newer than CI4)

The oil dealers use is normally cheap and nasty - Castrol is horribly noisy in the NP DiD hot or cold and is very very noisy under load (sounds like it's what you got).

I recommend you take 2x5L Delo 400 Multigrade with you - or do it yourself or a mech that you can trust (purchase the correct oil filter from MM).

There is a previous thread I point out on how to change the oil.
          --
          Marquis

Comment

I had a problem since new with intermittent but very loud pinging. Eventually it became permanent and finally the rotary pump was replaced under warranty.
            Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

[QUOTE=marquis;10773]

The oil dealers use is normally cheap and nasty -
              QUOTE]

The dealers use oil which meets, or exceeds the standards of oil which the vehicle is meant to take.

No manufacturer will back up an "agent" which uses an oil which could be detrimental to the motor of the vehicle.

Disregard age old rubbish you might hear from "professionals" who claim Castrol oils are crap, and sludge motors, etc!

Comment

Originally posted by Para Ordnance View Post
                Originally posted by marquis View Post

The oil dealers use is normally cheap and nasty -

The dealers use oil which meets, or exceeds the standards of oil which the vehicle is meant to take.

No manufacturer will back up an "agent" which uses an oil which could be detrimental to the motor of the vehicle.

Disregard age old rubbish you might hear from "professionals" who claim Castrol oils are crap, and sludge motors, etc!

Para Ordnance,

There is a difference between a oil which meets the oil specification required and a oil which meets the spec but more important - suited to the engine.

Castrol mineral and full synthetic has been tried in the DiD I have - from dealers and I tried a synthetic. After noting the 50 to 100km poorer mileage per tank of fuel and the very very noisy engine - I have come to the conclusion that Castrol should not be used full stop. (Every climbed hilly country with a bl**dy noisy engine - you ask yourself is the engine ok)

I have tried Shell, BP mineral/semi-s oils - which did not perform to bad but the oils broke down prior to the normal 7,500km oil change (you can hear the engine become noiser).

The current oil I use DELO 400 Multigrade - since I started using has made the DiD run much quieter for longer before oil breaks down.

Approximage mileage with oils that "met specification":
                Castrol: 1100km / 170L to 1150km / 170L
                BP/Shell: 1250km/170L to 1325km/170L
                Caltex DELO 400: 1300km/170L to 1375km/170L
                All oils were 15-40 and vehicle km - 22500 to 80000km - 800kg load with roof rack and 265/75R16 (oversize) tyres.

Removing the roof rack - I now obtain 1500km/170L (oversize tyres are the problem with fuel usage)
                Last edited by marquis; 30-01-08, 06:22 AM.
                --
                Marquis

Comment

Have the same comments about Castrol, is it NOISY... I keep thinking the damn motor is going to blow up and everything is falling apart.
                  I used Caltex Delo 400 for the past two years but at the last service I left it too late and asked the dealer to supply theirs...that turned out to be Castrol, which they have never used before.
                  I'll go back to Caltex next month when I'm due for the 60k job.
                  Marty
                  NP Exceeed DiD +++ inc LR Tank...>1,400Kms no worries

Comment

Interesting that people are getting different fuel consumption with the same viscosity oil. Some oils may be of beter quality and last longer between changes but with regard to fuel consumption I would think a thicker oil would provide more drag on the engine and as a result use more fuel. But a different brand of the same viscosity I wouldn't think would be any different

Also interesting that the castrol oil makes an engine noisier under load. I would be very intersted in an explanation of what this noise is and how the oil causes this.

Comment

I'll give the DELO 400 a go at the 45k service which is in about 4k and report back on fuel consumption and various noises.

If I take the oil to the dealer, how do I know they've actually used it (even if they show me empty containers)? I know this is being very cynical but.... I guess if "oil" doesn't get charged for then that's one way. Alternatively I could just bite the bullet and not take it to a dealer for service (as an aside, does anyone know if the mechanic at Opposite Lock in Braybrook is still the one who worked at Mitsubishi?)

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by Moser View Post
                        Have the same comments about Castrol, is it NOISY... I keep thinking the damn motor is going to blow up and everything is falling apart.
                        I used Caltex Delo 400 for the past two years but at the last service I left it too late and asked the dealer to supply theirs...that turned out to be Castrol, which they have never used before.
                        I'll go back to Caltex next month when I'm due for the 60k job.
                        Hi Moser, our NS came back from the 1500km service with a 7500km Castrol reminder sticker on the windscreen with "Magnatec" written on it. Is this the Castrol oil you used that was noisy?
                        For 5years with our NM DiD they used Shell oils, now they have just changed to Castrol. Personally I like Castrol products having used them extensively in 2st and 4st motocycle road racing BUT there is a lot written here about
                        Castrol making the DiD engine noisier than other oils. I am thinking about supplying my own oil for servicing now, probably Caltex Delo 400.

Sandgroper.
                        NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandgroper View Post
                          I am thinking about supplying my own oil for servicing now, probably Caltex Delo 400.

Sandgroper.
                          Just make sure the oil meets the specs as per the car's user manual.
                          --
                          Marquis

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X