No announcement yet.

Tow Bars & Bash Plates advice required!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow Bars & Bash Plates advice required!

Hi all,

I'm a newby and have had my NP 3.2 Diesel GLX for 3 days.... just love it..

I need to get a tow bar fitted a.s.a.p.(2500kg). I have a quote from the MM fitter who also mentioned that I should have the bash plates replaced...for sump and transfer protection.. ok ..I see his point... but he said they come in 2 types; stainless, or powdercoated 3mm steel.

* Which way to most people go.... what would you recommend?

* Is there are great need to replace the Fuel tank guard? ... mine has a few scratches and is a little worst for wear but no dings to the tank. Does this area also need protecting?

* The tow bar ... are they all much the same, in strength and quality or should I be looking at another brand?

Appreciate any assistance on the matter.

Regards, Bel

Where you intend to go will determine whether you need the bash plates upgraded.

Tar and a wee bit of dirt, leave well enough alone.

Serious bush, go all out.
    Cheers, John
    Auto Electrician 35+ years
    NM but with tricky electrical setups of course.
    And that's the wank wank wank and more wank factor out of the way.

Comment

For the tow bar I'd be speaking to hayman reese about hitch recievers. Your dealer will likely charge a premium for it so look around if possible. Personally I wouldn't bother with upgrading the tank guard as tanks are farily robust by design.
      If you're heading off road on overgrown/rutted/moderate to difficult tracks then upgrading the front bash plates is worth considering but shop around - I'd be talking to someone like TJM or Brown Davis. with 2.5t have you considered the need for tailer brakes and polyairs?
      NS oil burner shorty

Comment

as for front bash plates, i would consider a stainless type and not a powercoated 3 mm steel type. the first scrape and there goes some powdercoat followed by some rust later plus what is 3mm steel going to protect, you need atleast a mimimum or 5mm plus for any decent bash plates.
        NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

5mm! Most on the market are 3mm electroplated mild steel which is plenty enough unless your want additional protection from landmines or 30 calibre+ light arms.
          NS oil burner shorty

Comment

Originally posted by Eastie View Post
            5mm! Most on the market are 3mm electroplated mild steel which is plenty enough unless your want additional protection from landmines or 30 calibre+ light arms.
            electroplated mild steel is not what one would call a high strength metal, especially at 3mm just abit thicker than a match so to speak. if you spend the dollars on an after market plate it should be of a decent quality material that will withstand a hard knock and not dent. 5mm plus.
            NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

3-4mm mild steel plate gussetted with right angle section is what most plates (I've ever seen) on the market are made of. Nothing wrong with 5mm, just seems over engineered
              NS oil burner shorty

Comment

I'd certainly recommend replacing the useless plastic sump guard that comes as standard, even if you're only doing dirt roads. TJM do one that I and several other forumites have. They also do a transmission guard.

Comment

Hi all,

I posted a "quick reply" to your responses... and it hasn't appeared yet... I wonder why?... its my first response ... so I must have stuffed it up somehow...oops... is there normally a delay?

Anyway here goes ... hope this one works..

B

Comment

Hi everyone, Sorry I lost my original reply .. to somewhere??? Don't know where it is.

So I'll try to remember how it went;

We will be only doing a small amount of "dirt" and 'Really messy bush work" perhaps twice a month, but mostly bitumen. We've taken it easy in the past with the old '86 Cruiser, but I just wanted to be safe then sorry, in the Pajero. It only takes 1 big mistake to make it a costly one.

The bash plates I was quoted were only 3mm but I didn't ask if there was a heavier gauge available, but I will tomorrow. And 3mm would have to be better than whats on now. Point taken about powder coated ones .. thanks.

Eastie... no we don't need any additional protection from landmines and the likes... ..LOL... That was a good one...

Towing will be for the boat or horse float on the odd occasion... each with their own electric brake controls. Hitch Recievers? I don't know what that is so I'll look into that one....

So hope I covered all replies ... you've given me much to follow up ... Thank you.

Regards, Bel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X