best engine oil NM 3.5 V6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best engine oil NM 3.5 V6

i should take delievery of my not new NM 3.5 V6 Pajero within a day or two and i was wondering what would be the best oil used in these vehicles, the engine is up to date with servicing but i feel better by changing the engine oil so i know where i am at. what type of oil do you guys use ?
    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Mobil 1 full synthetic.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

If Mobil 1's a bit exxy for you (it is for me), I've been happy with Mobil Synth S and also, when I'm doing long trips in hot weather, I've used Shell Helix Plus semi-synthetic 15-50. I change every 7,500km.

gaz
      2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

I change every 20K. Could probably go longer with Mobil 1 but can't be stuffed paying for oil tests.

Make sure you use a good quality oil filter. I use Purolator filters in mine.
        Cheers, John.
        LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
        Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

say if this engine in my pajero has only used a mineral based non synthetic oil over the years, is it ok to use a full synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 without having to flush the engine out ? thanks.
          NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

No flush required. Just a normal oil change.
            Cheers, John.
            LC200 V8 goodness

Comment

will be doing oil change with mobil 1 this sat, just a question, has anyone used terrain tamers oil filter on this model? Looks good to me.. Any comments?

Comment

Read this; Oil Filters

As I said I use Purolator. No idea who makes Terrain Tamers or how good they are.
                Cheers, John.
                LC200 V8 goodness

Comment

i recently changed my engine oil and filter with the filter being a Ryco brand, this is fine as long as you change this filter each time you change the oil.

Comment

I was warned by my mechanic not to go to full synthetic oil if you have been using mineral or semi synth oils as the gaskets and oil seals would probably start leaking! I do trust his opinions too ( His wifes car is a paj!) good luck Dave
                    NM V6,Exceed BFG MTs ,Injected Gas, Proficency course,GME TX3100 UHF , 2 inch lift, Pace Maker Headers ,Dobinsons.Navigation Course (still lost) Rola Roof Racks, Proficency Plus course.

Comment

Originally posted by aldavnic View Post
                      I was warned by my mechanic not to go to full synthetic oil if you have been using mineral or semi synth oils as the gaskets and oil seals would probably start leaking! I do trust his opinions too ( His wifes car is a paj!) good luck Dave
                      Bull.
                      Cheers, John.
                      LC200 V8 goodness

Comment

yes , Bull. where talking oils here not race fuels. where did the mechanic get this info from ? ask him.

Comment

I agree. some people experience minor leaking when switching but for the most part that is bull. I have used K&N filters for a while but will switch and save a buck or two now after reading that more detailed info. I also use thishttp://www.filtermag.com for extra insurance on getting all the metal particles out. Any metal I can stop from floating around in there is a good thing.

I have also been pondering the thought of putting in a Bypass Oil filter as well to get more filtration. Looking into building my own instead of spending the big bucks for a prefabbed kit.
                          03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

After reading those filter test sites I did a bit of scouting around to see if I could find sources in Australia for some of the brands.
                            Not a lot of success but I did find that quite a lot of them (Ryco, Cooper, Wesfil) are now owned by the one company (GUD). GUD have been longtime owners of Ryco, but shifted manufacturing offshore and now source their filters from a range of places including Korea and South Africa.
                            What this suggests to me is that unless you know for certain the standards to which a particular filter is made, you (we) are buying the proverbial pig-in-a-poke.
                            My local Auto1 store sells Wesfil, and reckons they are OEM equivalent - but how do they know? They're just repeating what the sales reps tell them.
                            I think the importance of frequent filter changes can't be overemphasised - I do mine with the oil, every 7500km. And maybe OEM is the way to go?? I use OEM on my Subaru which is still under warranty, but have been using Wesfil or Valvoline in the Paj for a couple of years. Once I use the filters I've got in the garage, I think I'll revert to OEM. Interestingly, a recent air filter at Auto1 (Wesfil) was $45, the Valvoline equivalent at Supercheap was $63 (!) and last time I bought an OEM it was mid-50s.

Cheers

Gaz
                            2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X