LPG conversion on '06 VRX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LPG conversion on '06 VRX

Hi Guys, thanx for all the advice so far. I think we have narrowed down our search now for a '06 VRX, probably the petrol 3.8L. The way I look at it it's going to cost us $8,000-$10,000 more for a diesel, plus cost more at the bowser, yes I know we'll get more Km's but I don't think we can justify the extra upfront expense. We've only got a a tare weight of 1000 on our camper trailer so for pulling power I think we'll be OK. But I was wondering about LPG conversions on the Pajeros?? How much do they generally cost and where does the tank go? Also if anyone has done a trip up north to the Cape, can you easily get either LPG or unleaded? Also has anyone purchased a '06 VRX latley (it's the one with the parallel grill up front??) we've seen prices on the net at $38,000 - $42,000, havn't negotiated as yet. Thanx again for the advice.

Newby Girl
    Last edited by Newby Girl; 08-02-08, 11:40 AM.

Paid 39000 for a late 05 build, 06 complianced DID GLX with 21,000km on it. 8 to 10K more for a DID sounds a bit much, and dont forget you would likely get the price difference back at resale time.
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Pat, did you buy private, dealer or auction?

Comment

Believe it or not - a dealer. Negatives were that it was a plain white GLX DID manual with no accessories short of floor mats. Not even a tow bar. Made it a nice base to build up to how we wanted it though.

Newby Girl, there are quite a few threads under the fuel section on LPG. I have not had much experience but reading the threads there is a strong recomendation for injected LPG systems rather than the old mixer ones due to backfiring problems with the latter. Most fittings put the tank in the third seat well and retain the factory fuel tank for dual fuel duties. Range seems to be the other limiting factor on LPG give that you consume more of it for every KM than petrol. Off the top of my head I think they were getting 300km to 400km off the gas tank. Towing will affect this though.
        2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
        2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

I haven't had experience with a Pajero on gas although I've owned from new, three petrols and now I'm on my second diesel. However, I did have a 2001 4.2 Nissan on duel fuel.
          With the install, I was made very away of issues with backfiring that need to be looked into (repairs are VERY expensive). Around town I used to get 22l/100 on petrol and 24 on gas. Towing an 18' Jayco Poptop I used to get 28l/100 on petrol and 36 on gas. So on a 90 litre gas tank I used to get around 250k on a full tank . Coming up Orimbah hill back to Sydney, I used to be flat out at around 60ks. Kept the van and sold the Nissan. Got a DiD Pajero and got 10l/100 around town no towing and 14 l/100 towing on trips. The Orimbah hill I sat 100ks with the van up the hill and could accelerate to overtake slower cars (Nissans with Caravans ).
          I would strong recommend looking around for a diesel Pajero, you wont look back. I've got an 05 DiD auto.
          NS Exceed DiD auto, Mousebar, Headlights and Cibie Oscars with HID bulbs

Comment

Have just spent 2 hrs trolling thru the internet, looks like the cheapest Pajero '06 VRX 3.8L ULP is around $37,990 with around 50,000kms and the cheapest Diesel around $45,000 with about 60,000kms, so I wasn't too far off the mark with prices!! Am erring towards the deisel afer talking to some friends re fuel economy. Thanx!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X